Is there a way to disable printing on one account?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hi. My WinXP Home computer has two accounts, one for the adults and
one for kids. Is there a way to disable printing on the kid's
account? Thanks in advance.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I would paste the following into notepad

net stop "print spooler"

save it as stopprint.bat and put it into the startup folder of your kids
profile.

I would then past the following into notepad

net start "print spooler"

save it as startprint.bat and put it into the startup folder of your
account.

M.L. thought and wrote:

> Hi. My WinXP Home computer has two accounts, one for the adults and
> one for kids. Is there a way to disable printing on the kid's
> account? Thanks in advance.

Log into safe and set the permissions for the printer.

How to set, view, change, or remove file and folder permissions in Windows
XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308418

The KB article is for files and folders but printers can be done the same
way.

--
William

WTC thought and wrote:

> M.L. thought and wrote:
>

>> Hi. My WinXP Home computer has two accounts, one for the adults and
>> one for kids. Is there a way to disable printing on the kid's
>> account? Thanks in advance.
>
> Log into safe and set the permissions for the printer.

Should have read "Log into safe mode...."

--
William

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

In news:%23o6K9owmFHA.2904@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
Joseph Hume" <"moscowhippy at adelphia.net <"moscowhippy at adelphia.net">
typed:
> I would paste the following into notepad
>
> net stop "print spooler"
>
> save it as stopprint.bat and put it into the startup folder of your
> kids profile.
>
> I would then past the following into notepad
>
> net start "print spooler"
>
> save it as startprint.bat and put it into the startup folder of your
> account.

Nice idea, but if the kids don't have local admin rights (which they
shouldn't) they can't stop services. This could be done via group policy in
WinXP Pro, but not in Home, alas.