hdd auto detect

my computer seems to have an intermittent boot up problem which I have tried
to solve using fixmbr, fixdsk, some other windows diagnostic stuff from the
recovery console etc. I also have gone into the BIOS utility which came with
the Gigabyte GA-8S661FXM-775 motherboard and have tried different settings in
the CMOS and BIOS. I have also updated my BIOS from the internet.

When I go into the CMOS directly after the system fails to bootup I notice
that the CMOS identifies the hard disk as WDC WD602BB-20JKC0 and that its
capacity is 57 Gig (which is NOT correct for both details)

System info on windows identifies the hard disk as WDC WD400-00JKC0 and that
its capcity is 40 Gig (which is correct for both details). This is also what
CMOS shows when the computer does bootup.

Why is HDD auto detect in the CMOS failing to detect the correct hard drive
(I only have 1 anyway!)

Is this the reason why the boot up is sometimes failing?

I have no idea where it getting the model number and capcity details for the
'other' hard disk.

To date I've been forcing the computer to bootup by going in to CMOS and
hitting ENTER for the auto -detect HDD option until it identifies the correct
hard drive details i.e. WDC WD400-00JKC0 and that its capcity is 40 Gig

Would welcome any ideas.

Thanks.
--
gb
5 answers Last reply

    gorbablond wrote:

    > my computer seems to have an intermittent boot up problem which I have tried
    > to solve using fixmbr, fixdsk, some other windows diagnostic stuff from the
    > recovery console etc. I also have gone into the BIOS utility which came with
    > the Gigabyte GA-8S661FXM-775 motherboard and have tried different settings in
    > the CMOS and BIOS. I have also updated my BIOS from the internet.
    >
    > When I go into the CMOS directly after the system fails to bootup I notice
    > that the CMOS identifies the hard disk as WDC WD602BB-20JKC0 and that its
    > capacity is 57 Gig (which is NOT correct for both details)
    >
    > System info on windows identifies the hard disk as WDC WD400-00JKC0 and that
    > its capcity is 40 Gig (which is correct for both details). This is also what
    > CMOS shows when the computer does bootup.
    >
    > Why is HDD auto detect in the CMOS failing to detect the correct hard drive
    > (I only have 1 anyway!)
    >
    > Is this the reason why the boot up is sometimes failing?
    >
    > I have no idea where it getting the model number and capcity details for the
    > 'other' hard disk.
    >
    > To date I've been forcing the computer to bootup by going in to CMOS and
    > hitting ENTER for the auto -detect HDD option until it identifies the correct
    > hard drive details i.e. WDC WD400-00JKC0 and that its capcity is 40 Gig

    All of the above seems to indicate that the bios table has
    been corrupted. Best remedy would be to clear the CMOS and
    reflash the bios and re-configuring to the default settings.

    Have run into this in three circumstances when there was nothing wrong with
    the hard drive.
    1. When the PC is very fast, and a quick check of the RAM is done at cold
    boot. The HD doesn't have enough time to properly spinup before being
    checked by the bios. Reboots are usually successful for proper HD layout
    interpretation.
    Solution may be simply forcing a lengthy RAM check in the bios setup, or the
    power supply may be weak at initial boot time which means replacing the
    power supply with a suitable one.
    2. When the PC has a new HD and the ide ribbon cable is marginal or
    defective. Reboots are flaky, sometimes good, sometimes bad. Solution is
    usually a new 80 wire ide ribbon cable.
    3. HD is master with a ATAPI device as slave that is creating a
    communication problem. Solution: move the ATAPI device to the other ribbon
    cable.
    "gorbablond" <gorbablond@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > my computer seems to have an intermittent boot up problem which I have
    tried
    > to solve using fixmbr, fixdsk, some other windows diagnostic stuff from
    the
    > recovery console etc. I also have gone into the BIOS utility which came
    with
    > the Gigabyte GA-8S661FXM-775 motherboard and have tried different settings
    in
    > the CMOS and BIOS. I have also updated my BIOS from the internet.
    >
    > When I go into the CMOS directly after the system fails to bootup I notice
    > that the CMOS identifies the hard disk as WDC WD602BB-20JKC0 and that its
    > capacity is 57 Gig (which is NOT correct for both details)
    >
    > System info on windows identifies the hard disk as WDC WD400-00JKC0 and
    that
    > its capcity is 40 Gig (which is correct for both details). This is also
    what
    > CMOS shows when the computer does bootup.
    >
    > Why is HDD auto detect in the CMOS failing to detect the correct hard
    drive
    > (I only have 1 anyway!)
    >
    > Is this the reason why the boot up is sometimes failing?
    >
    > I have no idea where it getting the model number and capcity details for
    the
    > 'other' hard disk.
    >
    > To date I've been forcing the computer to bootup by going in to CMOS and
    > hitting ENTER for the auto -detect HDD option until it identifies the
    correct
    > hard drive details i.e. WDC WD400-00JKC0 and that its capcity is 40 Gig
    >
    > Would welcome any ideas.
    >
    > Thanks.
    > --
    > gb

    Thanks for the info.

    What i would dearly love to do is just manually force the cmos to go
    directly to the hard drive without trying to auto-detect it.

    When i'm in the CMOS there are 3 options i) auto 2) none 3) manual. The book
    that came with the motherboard says if i choose Manual the user can enter the
    name of the hard drive. Unfortunately when I'm at this point the CMSO doesn't
    let me enetr anything? Any ideas about how to force the CMOS to manually go
    to the hard drive i want it to? I still have no idea where it is picking up
    the details for the 'ghost' hard drive it goes to, can't find and then cannot
    bootup.

    cheers
    asa
    --
    gb

    "Lil' Dave" wrote:

    > Have run into this in three circumstances when there was nothing wrong with
    > the hard drive.
    > 1. When the PC is very fast, and a quick check of the RAM is done at cold
    > boot. The HD doesn't have enough time to properly spinup before being
    > checked by the bios. Reboots are usually successful for proper HD layout
    > interpretation.
    > Solution may be simply forcing a lengthy RAM check in the bios setup, or the
    > power supply may be weak at initial boot time which means replacing the
    > power supply with a suitable one.
    > 2. When the PC has a new HD and the ide ribbon cable is marginal or
    > defective. Reboots are flaky, sometimes good, sometimes bad. Solution is
    > usually a new 80 wire ide ribbon cable.
    > 3. HD is master with a ATAPI device as slave that is creating a
    > communication problem. Solution: move the ATAPI device to the other ribbon
    > cable.
    > "gorbablond" <gorbablond@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > my computer seems to have an intermittent boot up problem which I have
    > tried
    > > to solve using fixmbr, fixdsk, some other windows diagnostic stuff from
    > the
    > > recovery console etc. I also have gone into the BIOS utility which came
    > with
    > > the Gigabyte GA-8S661FXM-775 motherboard and have tried different settings
    > in
    > > the CMOS and BIOS. I have also updated my BIOS from the internet.
    > >
    > > When I go into the CMOS directly after the system fails to bootup I notice
    > > that the CMOS identifies the hard disk as WDC WD602BB-20JKC0 and that its
    > > capacity is 57 Gig (which is NOT correct for both details)
    > >
    > > System info on windows identifies the hard disk as WDC WD400-00JKC0 and
    > that
    > > its capcity is 40 Gig (which is correct for both details). This is also
    > what
    > > CMOS shows when the computer does bootup.
    > >
    > > Why is HDD auto detect in the CMOS failing to detect the correct hard
    > drive
    > > (I only have 1 anyway!)
    > >
    > > Is this the reason why the boot up is sometimes failing?
    > >
    > > I have no idea where it getting the model number and capcity details for
    > the
    > > 'other' hard disk.
    > >
    > > To date I've been forcing the computer to bootup by going in to CMOS and
    > > hitting ENTER for the auto -detect HDD option until it identifies the
    > correct
    > > hard drive details i.e. WDC WD400-00JKC0 and that its capcity is 40 Gig
    > >
    > > Would welcome any ideas.
    > >
    > > Thanks.
    > > --
    > > gb

    strange posting an answer to my own question...

    I disconnected the ribbon cable from the hard drive to the primary ide and
    then connected it back again...low and behold i have no more bootup
    problems...go figure!!!
    --
    gb

    "gorbablond" wrote:

> [...]
    > > >
    > > > System info on windows identifies the hard disk as WDC WD400-00JKC0 and
    > > that
    > > > its capcity is 40 Gig (which is correct for both details). This is also
    > > what
    > > > CMOS shows when the computer does bootup.
    > > >
    > > > Why is HDD auto detect in the CMOS failing to detect the correct hard
    > > drive
    > > > (I only have 1 anyway!)
    > > >
    > > > Is this the reason why the boot up is sometimes failing?
    > > >
    > > > I have no idea where it getting the model number and capcity details for
    > > the
    > > > 'other' hard disk.
    > > >
    > > > To date I've been forcing the computer to bootup by going in to CMOS and
    > > > hitting ENTER for the auto -detect HDD option until it identifies the
    > > correct
    > > > hard drive details i.e. WDC WD400-00JKC0 and that its capcity is 40 Gig

    I doubt that is the first time a loose cable caused a problem.
    Been there... I once had a friend call me because his BRAND NEW computer
    said no disk...
    I went over and opened the case, the IDE cable was there, but had not been
    plugged into the HDD at the factory. But what do you expect from Tri-Gem
    (now EMachines).

    --
    For evil to prosper requires only that good men remain silent!
    > strange posting an answer to my own question...
    >
    > I disconnected the ribbon cable from the hard drive to the primary ide and
    > then connected it back again...low and behold i have no more bootup
    > problems...go figure!!!
    > --
    > gb

Computers Hard Drives CMOS Windows XP