Problem booting XP Pro sp2: NTLDR is missing

Hi,

A script I was writing accidentally created a large number of files (more
than 10,000 of them, with names no_1.txt, no_2.txt, etc.) in the root
directory of my C: drive. When I tried to reboot, I got the message: "NTLDR
is missing", and I cannot boot the computer (a Dell Inspiron 8500 laptop).
This problem is described by MS in their KB article Q329397, where they
suggest that you obtain and run a file named BCUPDATE2.EXE.

I was able to load the XP recovery console, and I can see that everything is
there (NTLDR, NTDETECT.COM, the 10,000+ files, etc.)

I will try to get BCUPDATE2.EXE tomorrow from MS, but I have a number of
other questions:

1. I would like to delete the 10,000 files I accidentally created (will
this solve the problem?) but the recovery console does not let me use
wildcards. I created (in another computer) a batch file to delete these
files, but I can't copy the batch file to the problem computer. Can't eject
the cd cannot read from network, cannot read from USB memory stick. Any
suggestions.

2. Once I get BCUPDATE2.EXe from MS, I am going to have the same problem.
How a I going to copy BCUPDATE2.EXE to the hard drive of the problem
computer? (and I am not sure whether it can execute external commands)

3. Because I upgraded to XP SP2, BCUPDATE2.EXE may already be in some
sub-directory of my computer, but it is difficult to find it because the
recovery console does not search across directories.

4. The MS article suggests a work-around by creating a boot diskette. My
computer does not have a diskette drive, but I would like to create a boot
CD-ROM. Is this possible? How do I do it? To make matters worse, this
laptop has trouble booting from the cdrom. It works one time in 50 tries
(the other 49 times, it seems to ignore the "boot from cdrom" instruction
given while booting.

I would appreciate any suggestions. this is driving me mad!

thanks,

Gabriel
7 answers Last reply
More about problem booting ntldr missing

    Delete 700 files at a time to avoid jamming up the recycle bin. Delete what is
    in the recycle bin before refilling it again.

    Yes, but the recovery console does not let me delete files that easily (and
    I don't think it knows about the recycle bin). I would have to type the
    10,000 names, you see.

    thanks,

    gabriel

    "Cymbal Man Freq." <Don't Bother@ForgedPostsAnonymous.unorg> wrote in
    message news:aehJe.5305$EX.1918@twister.nyroc.rr.com...

    Gabriel Toro wrote:

    > Yes, but the recovery console does not let me delete files that easily (and
    > I don't think it knows about the recycle bin). I would have to type the
    > 10,000 names, you see.
    >
    > thanks,
    >
    > gabriel

    Actually, creating a boot disk is not really that difficult.
    It has to be done with another Windows XP computer by first
    formatting a floppy diskette and they copying Ntdetect.com
    and Ntldr. From the failed computer, copy the boot.ini file
    on to the floppy or write a new boot.ini file in ASCII. Boot
    the computer from the floppy diskette and Windows XP should
    start. If not, post a note here with additional details, esp.
    if HD is not IDE. Good luck.

    GHalleck:

    Thanks for your response. Unfortunately, this laptop does not have a
    diskette drive. cn I create a boot CD?

    Also, can I do it without Win XP? My other two computers run W98SE.

    Thanks,

    Gabriel

    Gabriel Toro wrote:
    > GHalleck:
    >
    > Thanks for your response. Unfortunately, this laptop does not have a
    > diskette drive. cn I create a boot CD?
    >
    > Also, can I do it without Win XP? My other two computers run W98SE.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Gabriel

    This is an old trick from Windows NT. No, the floppy diskette
    must be formatted in a NT/2000/XP machine. The boot.ini file
    is the most important for it forces the computer to go to the
    operating system, which is in the C:\WINNT folder, and the
    computer starts from there. The intent, as proposed by GHalleck,
    is probably to bypass the over-bloated root in Drive C, due to
    the 10,000 files that are there...if it works.

    Gabriel,

    How did you manage to get Recovery Console? using the Dell O.S. CD? (must be since this notebook has no diskette drive).

    I highly suggest you try booting into "Safe Mode with Command Prompt". Give it a good try. Tap & repeat tapping F8 Function key as the notebook is rolling with its POST test.

    --
    Maurice N
    MVP Windows - Shell / User

    Gabriel Toro wrote:
    > GHalleck:
    >
    > Thanks for your response. Unfortunately, this laptop does not have a
    > diskette drive. cn I create a boot CD?
    >
    > Also, can I do it without Win XP? My other two computers run W98SE.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Gabriel
    >

    > "GHalleck" <ghalleck@arrakian.mining.com> wrote in message
    >>

    >> Gabriel Toro wrote:
    >>
    >>> Yes, but the recovery console does not let me delete files that
    >>> easily (and I don't think it knows about the recycle bin). I would
    >>> have to type the 10,000 names, you see.
    >>>
    >>> thanks,
    >>>
    >>> gabriel
    >>>

    >> Actually, creating a boot disk is not really that difficult.
    >> It has to be done with another Windows XP computer by first
    >> formatting a floppy diskette and they copying Ntdetect.com
    >> and Ntldr. From the failed computer, copy the boot.ini file
    >> on to the floppy or write a new boot.ini file in ASCII. Boot
    >> the computer from the floppy diskette and Windows XP should
    >> start. If not, post a note here with additional details, esp.
    >> if HD is not IDE. Good luck.

    Gabriel,

    P.S. If still no luck with prior suggestions, then as long as you have the original XP CD, and use of another pc witha CD burner,
    then you can go see about getting BartPE to make a boot CDR so you can make your fixes.
    See BartPE at http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

    --
    Maurice N
    MVP Windows - Shell / User