TECH: Bally Space Invaders

Just got this. Game didn't work when it arrived. Got 7 flashes and not
attract. Changed jumpers on -35 MPU and burned three new 2716 ROMS for
U1,U2 and U6. Burned these three roms from available image on net which
required three roms (someone want to double check which jumpers should
be connected/cut)? Game goes into attract mode but dies after a few
minutes of sitting there. Attract gone, gi on, displays dead but with
voltage glow present.

Changed 5v filter cap and regulator on driver board. Same problem.
Swapped driver board with Paragon. Same problem. Burned paragon roms
and put them in (just to see if roms were problem), same problem.

If I turn it off and right back on, it won't boot. 7 flashes and nada.
Wait a while, turn it on, goes into attract mode and then quits after a
very short time.

Put in new CPU, both PIA's, new 6810 and new 5101. Run Leon's test on
bench with blinking light for couple hours. Came back still blinking.
Put roms back in, put in game same problem.

Ideas?

Doug

did you un plug the pf switch connector from the mpu?

7 flashes and no boot can be a pf switch short.

if that int it burn that pos.

john

www.kansascitypinball.com

Thank you for your kind and thoughtful suggestions. Once I decipher
what the HELL you just said, I promise to give your suggestions full
consideration. :)

Doug

kansas city pinball.com wrote:
> did you un plug the pf switch connector from the mpu?
>
> 7 flashes and no boot can be a pf switch short.
>
> if that int it burn that pos.
>
> john
>
> www.kansascitypinball.com

use needs to lern sums umerican

cuzin
john

www.kansascitypinball.com

> Just had a similar problem on a SI that I rebuilt. Turned out that the board
> was jumpered wrong for the roms that I replaced. DOH!
>
> With 2716's at U1, U2 and U6 jumper as followed..
>
> 1-5, 2-4, 7-8, 10-12, 11-25, 13A-14, 16A-18, 31-32, 33-35.
>
> Make SURE that 13-15 is cut...
>
> Hope it's just that. Good luck!

Thanks for the reply Scott. Diving deeper into this, I was reading and
noticed that I did the jumpers for a -17 board NOT a -35 board. I never
even thought to look. As I read further, it seems that the -17 board
does NOT have the same ROM space as the -35 model. SO, maybe I may have
stumbled upon my mistake. I am going to look around for a -35 MPU and
modify it's jumpers and see what happens.

Doug

As an update, I took the motherboard and put it into my Paragon. I put
the paragon chips that I burned into it and fired it up. I started to
play a game and it died. So, completely different machine and the
symtoms followed. That rules out the power supply problem that Ray
suggested (which I didn't think of since I was so focused on that 5v
regulator). Thanks Ray.

So, as I mentioned a second ago, I think I modified a -17 thinking it
was a -35 and I don't think that is possible and still have three 2716
ROM chips in there. Am I correct without modifying the board and
converting it to a -35?

Doug

Final update and resolution. I took a -35 motherboard, modified it to
accept the three 2716 roms and all works perfectly.

I am off to "learn some umerican" now. :)

Thanks for the responses.

Doug

Sounds like a power supply problem that comes up under load/heat (negligible
load when running a test rom, so problems like these usually won't show up
with that chip).

Lots more things to do- new regulator and C23 filter cap won't help at all
if you have bad connections to/from them- between driver board and rectifier
board- very common. More info at: www.actionpinball.com in our Technical
Articles section regarding recommended modifications and upgrades to this
circuitry.

Ray J.
--
Action Pinball & Amusement, LLC
Salt Lake City, Utah USA

"Kansas Pinball" <cyberolds1@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Just got this. Game didn't work when it arrived. Got 7 flashes and not
> attract. Changed jumpers on -35 MPU and burned three new 2716 ROMS for
> U1,U2 and U6. Burned these three roms from available image on net which
> required three roms (someone want to double check which jumpers should
> be connected/cut)? Game goes into attract mode but dies after a few
> minutes of sitting there. Attract gone, gi on, displays dead but with
> voltage glow present.
>
> Changed 5v filter cap and regulator on driver board. Same problem.
> Swapped driver board with Paragon. Same problem. Burned paragon roms
> and put them in (just to see if roms were problem), same problem.
>
> If I turn it off and right back on, it won't boot. 7 flashes and nada.
> Wait a while, turn it on, goes into attract mode and then quits after a
> very short time.
>
> Put in new CPU, both PIA's, new 6810 and new 5101. Run Leon's test on
> bench with blinking light for couple hours. Came back still blinking.
> Put roms back in, put in game same problem.
>
> Ideas?
>
> Doug

Just had a similar problem on a SI that I rebuilt. Turned out that the board
was jumpered wrong for the roms that I replaced. DOH!

With 2716's at U1, U2 and U6 jumper as followed..

1-5, 2-4, 7-8, 10-12, 11-25, 13A-14, 16A-18, 31-32, 33-35.

Make SURE that 13-15 is cut...

Hope it's just that. Good luck!

--
Scott