Any word on NASCAR?

Last response: in Video Games
June 17, 2005 6:40:07 PM

I am getting ready to buy another pin for the college and I am deciding
between LOTR or pre-ordering NASCAR? Any clue as to when it might hit
the streets? While one probably won't hit South Florida for a while, I
would like to take a look before I order.

Charlie L.

More about : word nascar

June 17, 2005 7:02:01 PM

Gary had pictures like 2 months ago from one of his "sources", or did
he?
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 7:27:38 PM

Nascar this sunday on tv Hope your driver wins, Looks like stern is
stuck in rerun mode
June 17, 2005 8:55:08 PM

BUYBEST@AOL.COM wrote:
> Nascar this sunday on tv Hope your driver wins, Looks like stern is
> stuck in rerun mode..Talked to the Rep last month he said it will be out sometime in July
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 9:27:31 PM

No, just keeps babbeling on things and when one out of twenty hits he
deletes the rest.

"chuck" <chuck@digitalsystemsgroup.com> wrote in message
> Gary had pictures like 2 months ago from one of his "sources", or did
> he?

June 18, 2005 1:42:45 AM

Pinball News says production starts end of July. It's part of the article
about Gary's B-Day

--
Mike S.
http://www.muddeatr.com

"Charlie L." <nflis4me@aol.com> wrote in message
>I am getting ready to buy another pin for the college and I am deciding
> between LOTR or pre-ordering NASCAR? Any clue as to when it might hit
> the streets? While one probably won't hit South Florida for a while, I
> would like to take a look before I order.
>
> Charlie L.

Anonymous
June 18, 2005 3:36:50 AM

Now where did Gary Stern get that neck tie?

- Steve

"Mike" <muddeatrNO@SPAMcomcast.net> wrote in message
> Pinball News says production starts end of July. It's part of the article
> about Gary's B-Day
>
> --
> Mike S.
> http://www.muddeatr.com
>

> "Charlie L." <nflis4me@aol.com> wrote in message
>>I am getting ready to buy another pin for the college and I am deciding
>> between LOTR or pre-ordering NASCAR? Any clue as to when it might hit
>> the streets? While one probably won't hit South Florida for a while, I
>> would like to take a look before I order.
>>
>> Charlie L.

Anonymous
June 18, 2005 3:50:06 AM

The back glass is not yet printed. I have heard from a good source
that there will be limited edition NASCAR pins.

Michael
Anonymous
June 18, 2005 7:43:25 AM

or maybe gary stern is shaking in his shoes over mr. pinball australia
:)  LOL
Anonymous
June 18, 2005 4:32:25 PM

It will be the best selling Stern pinball game. I know of a lot of
NASCAR fans that will get one just because it is a NASCAR theme, even
tho they are not pinball fans. I myself will get one for both reasons,
pinball fan and NASCAR fan.

Michael
June 18, 2005 6:38:53 PM

You do know what NASCAR stands for, right?

Non-Atheletic Sport Centered Around Rednecks

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Andy

"Charlie L." <nflis4me@aol.com> wrote in message
>I am getting ready to buy another pin for the college and I am deciding
> between LOTR or pre-ordering NASCAR? Any clue as to when it might hit
> the streets? While one probably won't hit South Florida for a while, I
> would like to take a look before I order.
>
> Charlie L.

June 18, 2005 7:43:40 PM

LOL
Anonymous
June 18, 2005 8:02:24 PM

They say the game will be a smash! Hopefully it will sell as well as
Sopranos.
Anonymous
June 18, 2005 11:06:22 PM

>>>Sport or no sport, in terms of demographics and advertising revenue,
>>>it is second to football...

And remember that 50% of NASCAR fans are women! My wife is one as well
now.

Michael
Anonymous
June 18, 2005 11:06:55 PM

But will it work
Anonymous
June 18, 2005 11:36:41 PM

Not that many female pinballers and when has there ever been a succesful
football themed pin?

GRY

"Zud" <zudmsc@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> And remember that 50% of NASCAR fans are women! My wife is one as well
> now.
>
> Michael

Anonymous
June 19, 2005 1:29:37 AM

On Sat, 18 Jun, Andy wrote:
> You do know what NASCAR stands for, right?
>
> Non-Atheletic Sport Centered Around Rednecks

You get in a 130F box for three or four hours where your life and the lives
of others depends on you being completely focused for the entire time on an
endeavor that requires incredible hand-eye coordination (and feet thrown in
there) and then come back and tell me it isn't a "sport."

Of course, with NASCAR you pretty much got the redneck part right. Not
that there is anything wrong with that. I are one, too. ;-)

> Sorry, couldn't resist.

Me neither. :)

Of course, I actually race cars, even though I only do it in
low horsepower cars on road courses. Same skills still apply, and I've
done half of a 13 hour endurance race in 85 minute stints (in/out, in/out,
etc).

--Donnie

--Donnie

June 19, 2005 2:54:04 AM

Sport or no sport, in terms of demographics and advertising revenue,
it is second to football...

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 14:38:53 GMT, "Andy"
<andy@NOSPAMcharlottepinball.com> wrote:

>You do know what NASCAR stands for, right?
>
>Non-Atheletic Sport Centered Around Rednecks
>
>Sorry, couldn't resist.
>
>Andy
>

>"Charlie L." <nflis4me@aol.com> wrote in message
>>I am getting ready to buy another pin for the college and I am deciding
>> between LOTR or pre-ordering NASCAR? Any clue as to when it might hit
>> the streets? While one probably won't hit South Florida for a while, I
>> would like to take a look before I order.
>>
>> Charlie L.

Anonymous
June 19, 2005 1:25:00 PM

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 08:01:11 -0500, "cody chunn"
<OMITcchunn3@comcast.net> wrote:

[...]

>2) Very regional fans. Mostly in the southeast USA. I do not see a worldwide
>market for this one. Maybe operators don't care about themes, but...

On this point I'd disagree. There are lots of NASCAR fans here in the
Pacific NW. Washington and Oregon are lobbying for a new track since
both states want it (for monetary reasons). I know lots of well
educated high-tech folks here who are into NASCAR. There's a market
here, although I'm not part of it.

[...]
Anonymous
June 19, 2005 3:34:47 PM

Alright, I told everyone to NOT give money to the rednecks. Who didn't
listen? :-)
Terry.
June 19, 2005 10:26:47 PM

Does anyone know what aspect of NASCAR the game will focus on? Will it
be only the Nextel Cup Series or include other NASCAR sanctioned racing
series like the Busch Series or Craftman truck series?
Matt
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 12:04:01 AM

On Sun, 19 Jun, Frank Brown wrote:
> The reality is that that Nascar has grown up. It has established
> itself in mainstrem America. Drunk southern rednecks cannot afford to
> go to races anymore. Go to a race now and you see corporate tents,
> motorhomes, and suites where the old converted school bus with drunk
> southern rednecks once parked.

This is exactly why tracks like Rockingham no longer have NASCAR races.
It is a great track as far as the quality of racing and was actually a very
good facility for fans (it's been well kept up to date). Problem is that
tracks near metropolitan areas can charge a *lot* more for each seat
because people in those areas can afford it. The only remote tracks that
will remain will be those that are near something else worth traveling to,
like Las Vegas, Florida, etc.

--Donnie

June 20, 2005 6:06:03 AM

> > The reality is that that Nascar has grown up. It has established
> > itself in mainstrem America. Drunk southern rednecks cannot afford to
> > go to races anymore. Go to a race now and you see corporate tents,
> > motorhomes, and suites where the old converted school bus with drunk
> > southern rednecks once parked.
>
> I admit I do not follow the industry. I thought the stands were still mostly
> populated by lower-to-middle income families with children hoping for a
> wreck. Perhaps there is enough wide-spread interest for operators to make
> money on the theme and bring out a new crop of home buyers. Maybe it'll be
> the biggest Stern seller yet.

What it has are people willing to spend-- and overspend-- on things with
the Nascar logo, or some of the individual drivers' logos. Some of them
have disposable income, some don't... but find the money to burn
somehow. It's like the Harley crowd. It doesn't make any difference
what the pin plays like, it's going to sell to some of them just for the
logo.
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 6:07:09 AM

That was my point. The "new" Nascar fan is upper-middle class with
lots of disposable income. That's what advertisers want. In theory,
this group might buy a new pinball machine just like Elvis/Harley/LOTR
fans did. How many they buy is anyone's guess.

Frank

>I admit I do not follow the industry. I thought the stands were still mostly
>populated by lower-to-middle income families with children hoping for a
>wreck. Perhaps there is enough wide-spread interest for operators to make
>money on the theme and bring out a new crop of home buyers. Maybe it'll be
>the biggest Stern seller yet.

Anonymous
June 20, 2005 6:15:06 AM

On Mon, 20 Jun, cody chunn wrote:
> Again...relevance? OK, after re-reading that a few times I get it. You're
> saying the average NASCAR watcher makes more money than the average NFL
> watcher, hence they will buy the game or spend money playing it. I think
> you're average sports-watcher doesn't care about pinball enough to pay to
> play one or buy one, let alone have the money for it. NIB pins ain't cheap!

Think Harley Davidson, only on a bigger scale. Harley still sells nicely
to homes due to the theme tie in...and I don't think most Harley owners are
pinheads. But they like things with that name on it enough to buy it.
NASCAR fans are even more loyal in that respect...their merchandise sales
lead all sports, I'm fairly certain.

--Donnie

June 20, 2005 9:45:57 AM

cody chunn wrote:
> 3) These are not going to fly out of the factory into NASCAR fan's homes,
> IMO. Most fans of NASCAR do not have the disposable income to buy one. Some,
> sure, but vast majority, no.

You don't need them to fly into their homes. Just put on a pair of
pinball skates on 'em, and strap them to the tow hitch of the mo-home.
:)

(Says an employee of the sponsor of the DurRock 400 and the SheetRock
300... or is it the other way around? I forget.)
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 3:58:57 PM

> Think Harley Davidson, only on a bigger scale. Harley still sells nicely
> to homes due to the theme tie in...and I don't think most Harley owners are
> pinheads. But they like things with that name on it enough to buy it.
> NASCAR fans are even more loyal in that respect...their merchandise sales
> lead all sports, I'm fairly certain.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but I think that percentagewise, more
Harley fans will pick up pinballs than Nascar... pinball fits in with
the biker mythos more.

Of course-- and I never thought I'ld ever say anything like this--
Harley fans seem (to me, at least) to be a bit more thoughtful and
fiscally responsible than Nascar, so you'll probably see a few more
Nascar people buy the pin, then not do anything with it.
June 20, 2005 11:22:57 PM

BMI Gaming just completed a visit to the Stern factory a couple of
weeks ago, where the next Simpsons run is now taking place. NASCAR has
been put off until late July at the earliest, due to some production
and artwork approval issues; The game will likely focus, in its final
form, on the NASCAR theme itself, without featuring major teams, due to
the very costly additional fees Stern would have to pay to the teams in
order to do that. We have seen some very colorful prototypes of the
playfield and cabinet graphics, and are excited about its pending
release, as we believe it will be a home run for both Stern and NASCAR.
Stern will also be raising the price on this game slightly, as compared
to prior games.

Best Regards,

David Young
BMI Gaming, Inc
http://www.bmigaming.com
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 2:08:11 AM

First, all of the delays I think no problem. But now it sounds like
they are going to raise the cost but put out a weaker product because
they can't afford the " additional fees" of making a cool pinball.
Thank you David for you update I as many do appretiate this type of
info. I am still looking fwd to seeing this game but as time goes on I
feel that we will might see a half a*sed cool game. Sounds like
another Stern NFL without the team logos.
I truly hope this game is a huge winner as I would be partial to buying
my first NIB game with a cool theme and great designer like PL.
Lewis
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 3:20:14 AM

<david@bmigaming.com> wrote in message
> BMI Gaming just completed a visit to the Stern factory a couple of
> weeks ago, where the next Simpsons run is now taking place. NASCAR has
> been put off until late July at the earliest, due to some production
> and artwork approval issues; The game will likely focus, in its final
> form, on the NASCAR theme itself, without featuring major teams, due to
> the very costly additional fees Stern would have to pay to the teams in
> order to do that. We have seen some very colorful prototypes of the
> playfield and cabinet graphics, and are excited about its pending
> release, as we believe it will be a home run for both Stern and NASCAR.
> Stern will also be raising the price on this game slightly, as compared
> to prior games.

Hmm, more expensive. Hopefully this is due to the BOM and not just another
generic price increase. At any rate, I wish someone would release a
playfield photo...

- Daniel
!