BastardTom

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003
Does anyone here know if the Hammers were infact cancelled? I know the Barton is scheduled for release soon, but I haven't seen any info on the much anticipated 64-bit Hammer!

To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human.

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
Opteron (sledgehammer) will show face in April, 2003. Athlon 64 (clawhammer) is delayed to september 2003, 'cause therer is no Windows for x86-64

<b> "You can put lipstick on a pig, but hey, it's still a pig!" - RobD </b>

eden

Champion
Why would you even assume it is cancelled?
Many companies are readying Opteron servers, and just a few weeks ago the Athlon 64 was delayed for OS availability upon launch.

--
This post is brought to you by Eden, on a Via Eden, in the garden of Eden. :smile:

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
heh. i read that that is a creative lie... "no OS available" was justa convient excuse to delay the cpu. Remember the cpu can allways run under 32bit!

<b>My Computer is so powerful Sauron Desires it and mortal men Covet it, <i>My Precioussssssss</i></b>

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
heh. i read that that is a creative lie... "no OS available" was justa convient excuse to delay the cpu. Remember the cpu can allways run under 32bit!
I've got to agree with you. The purpose of the ClawHammer was to replace the T-Bred/Barton. If it runs 32-bit code really well, then I'd have no problem loading a 32-bit version of Windows onto it, as well as a 64-bit version of Linux. The same is true for a million and one awaiting onlookers. Honestly, there isn't really any 64-bit software for Windows that SOHO users would buy anyway.

No, this has nothing to do with the OS. I don't know what the <i>real</i> story is, but it has nothing to do with a 64-bit x86-64 version of Win XP Home or any such nonsense. That excuse just doesn't even make sense. How many SOHO users would even buy it for 64-bit use? How many people that want x86-64 would even buy ClawHammer over a SledgeHammer? It's obviously a creative lie to hide something. The real question is what truth is the lie covering up?

PC Repair-Vol 1:Getting To Know Your PC.
PC Repair-Vol 2:Troubleshooting Your PC.
PC Repair-Vol 3:Having Trouble Troubleshooting Your PC?
PC Repair-Vol 4:Having Trouble Shooting Your PC?

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
well according to the read over on overclockers.com its just manufacturing issues.... sio yields tweaking hypertransport etc.

<b>My Computer is so powerful Sauron Desires it and mortal men Covet it, <i>My Precioussssssss</i></b>

jheine

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2002
Everyones screaming manufacturing and SOI screw-ups, but wouldn't that type of problem affect the Opteron as well? I think the delay was so they wouldn't be throwing away the barton core (though from the reviews, maybe they should have), and to give more time for 64-bit application development. 64-bit Windows is almost done, but why buy a 64-bit chip with no 64-bit "consumer" apps to go with it. Sales would tank, because you can buy the cheaper 32-bit system that can do the same thing. Opteron is targeting the "enterprise" users, where 64-bit is already in use, and can transition in quicker. Without that "killer app", alot of "home users" (not neccessarily us) will hesitate.

Jarrett

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=faq&notfound=1&code=1" target="_new"><b><font color=red>Join The THGC Music Project</font color=red></b></A>