How to make a shortcut to a folder open in Folders view?

By default if you make a shortcut to a folder it'll just open a window for
that folder. If you want the folders showing in the left-hand pane you need
to click the Folders button. In NT4 I had a shortcut that'd open Windosw
Explorer straight to my chosen folder, but I can't remember how it was done.
I do remember the shortcut pointed to explorer.exe with the folder specified
in the parameters, but I can't remember the syntax.

Am I making sense? To sum up, I want to make a shortcut to a folder that'll
open a window with the Folders pane already open.
3 answers Last reply
More about make shortcut folder open folders view

    In news:27lJe.641$Dm5.180@newsfe6-gui.ntli.net,
    Rojo Habe <no-one@nospam.net> had this to say:

    > By default if you make a shortcut to a folder it'll just open a
    > window for that folder. If you want the folders showing in the
    > left-hand pane you need to click the Folders button. In NT4 I had a
    > shortcut that'd open Windosw Explorer straight to my chosen folder,
    > but I can't remember how it was done. I do remember the shortcut
    > pointed to explorer.exe with the folder specified in the parameters,
    > but I can't remember the syntax.
    > Am I making sense? To sum up, I want to make a shortcut to a folder
    > that'll open a window with the Folders pane already open.

    See this link:

    http://www.colba.net/~hlebo49/explorer.htm#EXPLORER2

    (You'd then make a shortcut with the command you used)

    Galen

    without them."

    Sherlock Holmes

    Rojo Habe wrote:

    > Am I making sense? To sum up, I want to make a shortcut to a folder that'll
    > open a window with the Folders pane already open.

    If you know at least one file in the folder that is always there you may use

    explorer /e,/select,<full_path_to_file>

    Patrick

    BINGO!!

    Thanks to both of you. I ended up using /root, rather than /select, which
    did exactly what I wanted.
    I did try typing "explorer /?" in a command window before posting here, but
    it appears there's no /? switch or this command.

    Thanks again

    "Patrick" <rhodan_nospam_5625@freakmail.de> wrote in message
    > Rojo Habe wrote:
    >>
    >> Am I making sense? To sum up, I want to make a shortcut to a folder
    >> that'll open a window with the Folders pane already open.
    >
    > If you know at least one file in the folder that is always there you may
    > use
    >
    > explorer /e,/select,<full_path_to_file>
    >
    > Patrick

Windows XP