Closed Solved

Psu or mobo?

Hello,my pc experienced a lightning surge even though it was plugged in a surge protector (which was fried too). Now it won't even power on. The led on the mobo is lit but the green light at the front of the case will not come on. When I jumped the green wire and one of the black wire in the psu connector (after removing it from the mobo) the psu fan worked. When I reconnected the psu to the mobo nothing happens. What is the likely problem?
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about mobo
  1. Best answer
    Welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums!

    Most likely the motherboard is damaged.

    There is no surge protector that will work against a lightning strike (millions of volts).

    During thunderstorms, I unplug all my computers from the wall outlets (I do have Isobar Tripp-Lite surge protectors in the event of minor problems).
  2. I'd say your MOBO is damaged. The greed LED on the mobo usually means that the PWR_SW is working, but not much else. It'd be very good if you could connect another PSU to your MOBO to make that sure.

    Ubrales is right. Just plug off your computer during storms and enjoy the nice sound of the rain outside :D
  3. Ubrales said:
    Welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums!

    Most likely the motherboard is damaged.

    There is no surge protector that will work against a lightning strike (millions of volts).

    During thunderstorms, I unplug all my computers from the wall outlets (I do have Isobar Tripp-Lite surge protectors in the event of minor problems).


    Thanks Ubrales. It was the MOBO. A replacement from Dell solved the problem. Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.
  4. diaglsbs said:
    Thanks Ubrales. It was the MOBO. A replacement from Dell solved the problem. Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.

    Glad it worked out! One important point; make sure you perform frequent, regular backups. This is a must for all computers.
  5. Ubrales said:
    Glad it worked out! One important point; make sure you perform frequent, regular backups. This is a must for all computers.



    Thanks again.
  6. Best answer selected by diaglabs.
  7. This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
Ask a new question

Read More

Dell Green Surge Protector Computers