Sign in with
Your question

AMD: big risk of overheating?

Tags:
  • CPUs
Last response: in CPUs
February 10, 2003 8:31:54 AM

A very good day to all!

I'm in the process of putting together my own system. I had some issues and got some valuable feedback from this forum before... (thanx to all who took the time!)

My initial choice was an Athlon XP 2000+, but now I'm facing another dilemma... I'm being told that the Athlon has a major risk of overheating...
I plan on using either the MSI KT3 Ultra2 or KT4 Ultra boards (with a not too big CoolerMaster 1 fan heatsink), and I hear the board can turn the system off if they detect overheating.

What I'd like to know is, has anyone had any serious trouble with the athlon?
Did anyone get close to frying an Athlon, but was saved by an MSI board's temp sensor?
Is the cost (and the loss of "prestige") of buying an Intel P4 really worth it?

BTW, I live in Sri Lanka, and right here, right now it's pretty difficult to get a better heatsink... unless maybe I'll be able to get a bigger better one in a couple of months... but I certainly would feel much better being confident of not getting my Athlon fried.

It would be a great help if you could tell me about the experiences you've had... or tell me about sites that discuss these issues.

Any replies could even be sent straight to my mail account: rukmal_fernando@yahoo.com

Rukmal.

Talk is cheap; cheap talk is priceless.

More about : amd big risk overheating

February 10, 2003 9:46:34 AM

Athlons did have a very slight risk of frying at one time. But that has been solved. If it gets too hot (And the motherboard follows the AMD design guidelines) it just shuts the power off to the system. I assume the boards mentioned follow the guidelines that AMD specify (I may be wrong I just am not sure) so you should not have any big risk of frying the CPU. Anyway the chances of the HSF coming off anyway are very remote.
AREA_51

'It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames'
February 10, 2003 2:52:23 PM

The first time I ever installed an Athlon XP 1700+ Palomino in my cousin's MSI 6=745 Ultra board I have installed the heatsink wrong. So when I turned it on it immediately shut itself down. After doing this about 5 times I realised what I had done wrong and corrected it. It it hadnt have been a bord with the protection I would have been looking at replacing a smoking processor.

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=5467618 " target="_new">Almost Breaking 12k!!</A>
Related resources
February 11, 2003 10:41:54 PM

Athlons don't just Fry. It's due to improperly installing the heatsinks (user error). Follow the directions and you won't have any problems. The stock heatsink will be fine unless you overclock.

The Men Behind the GUNS!

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=32..." target="_new"><b>MY SYSTEM</b></A>
February 11, 2003 11:15:17 PM

1. Read the Heatsink mounting instructions.
2. Read them again.
3. Make sure you UNDERSTAND them.
4. Follow them.
5. Dont forget thermal paste, or taking the protective cover off the heat pad.
6. Plug in fan!
7. Before powering on, take a look from the side, ensuring the heatsink isnt on crooked.
8. Enjoy.

<b>Anyone claiming they can see the difference
between 450 and 500 FPS in Quake3 deserves to
be severely beaten with a rock. :smile: </b>
!