Cannot open search page

I've been getting an error from IE recently. If I type in a URL to the
'Address' bar, I sometimes get an error message that says, "Internet Explorer
could not open the search page".
When I click 'OK' in the error box, the browser defaults to the "Yahoo"
search page showing all the results to do with the URL I typed in.
My own default search 'Home' page is set for 'Google' so I have no idea why
IE won't open perfectly valid URLs from the Address bar.

I have checked for viruses and Spyware and my machine is clear.

Can anyone offer help?
4 answers Last reply
More about cannot open search page

    Hi

    Have you checked for spyware on your
    system:

    Ad-Aware - www.lavasoftusa.com
    Spybot - http://www.safer-networking.or­g/
    CWShredder - http://forum.aumha.org/downloa­ds/cwshredder.zip
    Spy Sweeper - www.webroot.com

    Try SpyWareBlaster to stop intrusions:

    http://www.javacoolsoftware.co­m/spywareblaster.html

    Also see the following links:

    http://aumha.org/a/parasite.ht­m
    http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/un­wanted.htm

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    "Scott" <Scott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I've been getting an error from IE recently. If I type in a URL to the
    > 'Address' bar, I sometimes get an error message that says, "Internet
    > Explorer
    > could not open the search page".
    > When I click 'OK' in the error box, the browser defaults to the "Yahoo"
    > search page showing all the results to do with the URL I typed in.
    > My own default search 'Home' page is set for 'Google' so I have no idea
    > why
    > IE won't open perfectly valid URLs from the Address bar.
    >
    > I have checked for viruses and Spyware and my machine is clear.
    >
    > Can anyone offer help?

    Yes I have the most up to date MS Anti-Spyware installed and the Norton AV
    software is up to date. Both have been run and the machine is clear.

    "Will Denny" wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > Have you checked for spyware on your
    > system:
    >
    > Ad-Aware - www.lavasoftusa.com
    > Spybot - http://www.safer-networking.or­g/
    > CWShredder - http://forum.aumha.org/downloa­ds/cwshredder.zip
    > Spy Sweeper - www.webroot.com
    >
    > Try SpyWareBlaster to stop intrusions:
    >
    > http://www.javacoolsoftware.co­m/spywareblaster.html
    >
    > Also see the following links:
    >
    > http://aumha.org/a/parasite.ht­m
    > http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/un­wanted.htm
    >
    > --
    >
    > Will Denny
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups
    >

    > "Scott" <Scott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I've been getting an error from IE recently. If I type in a URL to the
    > > 'Address' bar, I sometimes get an error message that says, "Internet
    > > Explorer
    > > could not open the search page".
    > > When I click 'OK' in the error box, the browser defaults to the "Yahoo"
    > > search page showing all the results to do with the URL I typed in.
    > > My own default search 'Home' page is set for 'Google' so I have no idea
    > > why
    > > IE won't open perfectly valid URLs from the Address bar.
    > >
    > > I have checked for viruses and Spyware and my machine is clear.
    > >
    > > Can anyone offer help?

    Check the internet connection settings first.

    Start, Run, type in cmd, and click OK.

    Type in ipconfig/release and then ipconfig/renew

    Try your connection again.

    other possibilities:-
    QHosts trojan may be responsible for this kind of situation.Do some
    reading here:-
    http://www.sarc.com/avcenter/venc/data/trojan.qhosts.html
    http://us.mcafee.com/virusInfo/default.asp?id=description&virus_k=100719

    regards,
    ssg MS-MVP

    Scott wrote:

    > I've been getting an error from IE recently. If I type in a URL to the
    > 'Address' bar, I sometimes get an error message that says, "Internet Explorer
    > could not open the search page".
    > When I click 'OK' in the error box, the browser defaults to the "Yahoo"
    > search page showing all the results to do with the URL I typed in.
    > My own default search 'Home' page is set for 'Google' so I have no idea why
    > IE won't open perfectly valid URLs from the Address bar.
    >
    > I have checked for viruses and Spyware and my machine is clear.
    >
    > Can anyone offer help?

    Error message when I type in ipconfig/release saying that Windows cannot find
    the file. Same message for ipconfig/renew.

    Norton AVPro 2004 installed and up to date. MS Anti-Spyware also installed
    with real-time protection enabled.

    Machine has been scanned recently and is clean.

    "S.Sengupta" wrote:

    > Check the internet connection settings first.
    >
    > Start, Run, type in cmd, and click OK.
    >
    > Type in ipconfig/release and then ipconfig/renew
    >
    > Try your connection again.
    >
    > other possibilities:-
    > QHosts trojan may be responsible for this kind of situation.Do some
    > reading here:-
    > http://www.sarc.com/avcenter/venc/data/trojan.qhosts.html
    > http://us.mcafee.com/virusInfo/default.asp?id=description&virus_k=100719
    >
    > regards,
    > ssg MS-MVP
    >
    > Scott wrote:
    >
    > > I've been getting an error from IE recently. If I type in a URL to the
    > > 'Address' bar, I sometimes get an error message that says, "Internet Explorer
    > > could not open the search page".
    > > When I click 'OK' in the error box, the browser defaults to the "Yahoo"
    > > search page showing all the results to do with the URL I typed in.
    > > My own default search 'Home' page is set for 'Google' so I have no idea why
    > > IE won't open perfectly valid URLs from the Address bar.
    > >
    > > I have checked for viruses and Spyware and my machine is clear.
    > >
    > > Can anyone offer help?

Internet Explorer Browsers Windows XP