Can't delete a file

The file's type is "File" and when I try to delete it it says:
"Cannot delete file: Cannot read from the source file or disk"

I haven't got a clue what the source is, and It's really annoying. Please
help!
By the way, I'm sorry to add the same subject again, but I'm a beginner and
don't understand the others.
9 answers Last reply
More about delete file

    These kind of issues come with a third party program or any error in Windows
    explorer.
    Have you tried any file hiding program before the problem first appeared?
    If yes then you know what to do. If not at least ensure that thats the cause.
    If no, then open in safe mode and try to delete again or if cannot open in
    windows explorer and try to delete.

    But you better post in some more detail how and where the file came from and
    what happened before the error message.

    --
    Regards,
    Pramit Roy

    "Nathanoj" wrote:

    > The file's type is "File" and when I try to delete it it says:
    > "Cannot delete file: Cannot read from the source file or disk"
    >
    > I haven't got a clue what the source is, and It's really annoying. Please
    > help!
    > By the way, I'm sorry to add the same subject again, but I'm a beginner and
    > don't understand the others.

    Hi,

    go to : http://www.softwarepatch.com/software/moveonboot.html

    and download the "MoveOnBoot" utility, which let's you rename, move or
    delete the "non-deletable" file on bootup. Then you can see if your system
    still works and safely delete this file.

    Cheers,

    Tom

    "Nathanoj" <Nathanoj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > The file's type is "File" and when I try to delete it it says:
    > "Cannot delete file: Cannot read from the source file or disk"
    >
    > I haven't got a clue what the source is, and It's really annoying. Please
    > help!
    > By the way, I'm sorry to add the same subject again, but I'm a beginner
    > and
    > don't understand the others.

    Hi

    That message would suggest that the file has already been deleted. Where
    are you trying to delete the file from - Windows Explorer? If so, try
    pressing F5, then searching for the file.

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    "Nathanoj" <Nathanoj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > The file's type is "File" and when I try to delete it it says:
    > "Cannot delete file: Cannot read from the source file or disk"
    >
    > I haven't got a clue what the source is, and It's really annoying. Please
    > help!
    > By the way, I'm sorry to add the same subject again, but I'm a beginner
    > and
    > don't understand the others.

    The file is on my desktop, and I can find it when I search for it(I used
    start>search).

    Hi

    Have you tried to delete the file from a command prompt?

    --

    > The file is on my desktop, and I can find it when I search for it(I used
    > start>search).

    Try to delete in safe mode.

    regards,
    ssg MS-MVP

    Nathanoj wrote:

    > The file's type is "File" and when I try to delete it it says:
    > "Cannot delete file: Cannot read from the source file or disk"
    >
    > I haven't got a clue what the source is, and It's really annoying. Please
    > help!
    > By the way, I'm sorry to add the same subject again, but I'm a beginner and
    > don't understand the others.

    I've tried to delete the file in safe mode- no luck. I'm not too sure how to
    delete using the command prompt. I thought it was DEL <filename>
    But that isn't working

    =?Utf-8?B?TmF0aGFub2o=?= commented thusly:

    > I've tried to delete the file in safe mode- no luck. I'm
    > not too sure how to delete using the command prompt. I
    > thought it was DEL <filename> But that isn't working

    Do your file(s) have the read-only or hidden or system bits set?
    If so, DOS won't delete them unless you clear the bits with the
    Attib command.

    http://www.theeldergeek.com/delete_undeletable_file.htm

    regards,
    ssg MS-MVP

    Nathanoj wrote:

    > I've tried to delete the file in safe mode- no luck. I'm not too sure how to
    > delete using the command prompt. I thought it was DEL <filename>
    > But that isn't working

Microsoft Windows XP