OS on 1 small drive, other crap on a different 1??

kc252

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2002
When I build my new system pretty soon here, I was just going to get 1 80 gb drive and put everything on there, i have been hearing more and more about putting my OS on a different drive, would this be a good idea? and how big of a drive, I don't want to spend that much more money. I would say like a 5gb would be fine wouldn't it, and would be really cheap. tell me what you think.

•kc252•

RCPilot

Champion
I'm from the school of 1 drive & a fast one, or 2 drives in RAID array. I'd run the 80 gig WD JB Edition with the 8 mg. cashe. It's the fastest IDE drive. If you can afford SCSI, be my guest.

I used to run 2 drives when they were way expensive back in the P2 266 days. Then it was cheaper to buy 2 10 gig HDD's than 1 20 gig.

So to me it's a matter of economy. Now days. with faster HDD's so cheap I really don't see a need for a second drive unless you run RAID.

If it ain't broke, take it apart & see why not!

casiowatch

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2002
I think what they mean by putting it on another drive is that you should partition your hard drive into 2 logical drives. Put the OS in the first, and all the rest in the second.

-----
<b>My Mentor: <A HREF="http://www.mchawking.com" target="_new">Stephen Hawkings</A></b>

funkdog

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2001
when I ran windows, that's exactly what I would do. I'd partition about 3gb for c:, called it windows. Partitioned the rest as D: and called it Shiat. That way if I need to wipe Windows, I was just wiping the OS and not my whole hard drive.

<b>"These are my thoughts, your mileage may vary."

I have allways put a 3 gig partition for windows crap and then the rest of the drive for data.
This leaves enough space for the windows swap file and all the other little files that windows adds to the C drive when you install or change something.
Then when you need to do a reinstall you just wipe out the windows partition. Then do a clean fresh install. The programs that run fine without reinstall, just drag a shortcut to the desktop and reinstall what has to be reinstalled to run.

And all of your data is still intact on the remaning partition on the drive

I aint signing nothing!!!