How to upgrade BIOS on a NX7000 with no floppy drive ?

Hi,

I want to upgrade my bios on my NX 7000 but don't have a floppy drive.

HP online docs require that the upgrade software be copied to a floppy.

This seems a bit silly as HP has been selling laptops with no floppy drive
for years.

Tips, tricks, solutions ... all welcome.

TIa

NoFloppy

Use a USB floppy, assuming that the BIOS allows booting from a USB device.

More importantly, what do you think you will accomplish with a BIOS upgrade? Is
there some glaring defect you need to overcome to do your work? Does the BIOS
upgrade add some feature you can't live without?

BIOS upgrades should not be undertaken lightly, especially with a notebook
computer where the possibility of recovering from a failed BIOS upgrade is
usually nil... Ben Myers

Varuna wrote:

> I want to upgrade my bios on my NX 7000 but don't have a floppy
> drive.
> HP online docs require that the upgrade software be copied to a
> floppy.
> This seems a bit silly as HP has been selling laptops with no floppy
> drive for years.

No. Silly is still using highly unreliable 1.4MB media in year 2005. Or
not reading websites careful enough..

> Tips, tricks, solutions ... all welcome.

Maybe You should do a better research?

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/hpcpqnk/us/locate/64_5617.html

Hint: its the "HPQFlash Utility for Notebooks System BIOS Update" which
allows You to do BIOS updates within Windows...

Besides that, it's a thing of a few minutes to use a diskette image to
create a bootable CD-RW and do the BIOS update with that....

Benjamin

"Besides that, it's a thing of a few minutes to use a diskette image to
create a bootable CD-RW and do the BIOS update with that." Agreed, if the
original poster has the necessary hardware, software, and knowhow to do it,
which you and I both have. Why presuppose that the OP knows how to create a
bootable CD? And why be so darned cndescending towards the OP? This is a
newsgroup to help people solve problems, not put them down as ignorant or
stupid.

Your response still does not address the root issue as to why a BIOS update is
needed. BIOS updates do not cure all hardware and software problems, and they
do not cure the common cold, warts, or rashes... Ben Myers

ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote:

> Your response still does not address the root issue as to why a BIOS
> update is needed. BIOS updates do not cure all hardware and software
> problems, and they do not cure the common cold, warts, or rashes...

Well, the question was not if a BIOS update is needed or not. Usually
there are reasons why hardware manufacturer offer new BIOS releases.
And sspecially companies like HP usually don't bring out a new BIOS
just for adding some features...

In case of the nx7000, BIOS updates _do_ cure some problems, like the
keyboard problems with these units...

Benjamin

ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote:

> And why be so darned
> cndescending towards the OP? This is a newsgroup to help people
> solve problems, not put them down as ignorant or stupid.

Sure this ng is there to help people. But not for having other people
doing the very basic things, like for example having a short look on
the HP website. Especially since the OP obviously already has found the
BIOS updates, he also should have found the right program which is
listed the next line below the diskette files if he'd just read what's
written there...

Benjamin

Just keep in mind that most people now need help in "doing the very basic
things." This is an inevitable outgrowth of the fact that the computer industry
markets and sells its products like simple consumer goods (toasters, non-cell
phones) to naive buyers, when computers themselves and their software are
infinitely complex. In the case of Window$, beyond infinitely complex... Ben
Myers

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 06:11:13 +0200, "Benjamin Gawert" <bgawert@gmx.de> wrote:

>ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote:
>
>> And why be so darned
>> cndescending towards the OP? This is a newsgroup to help people
>> solve problems, not put them down as ignorant or stupid.
>
>Sure this ng is there to help people. But not for having other people
>doing the very basic things, like for example having a short look on
>the HP website. Especially since the OP obviously already has found the
>BIOS updates, he also should have found the right program which is
>listed the next line below the diskette files if he'd just read what's
>written there...
>
>Benjamin

ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote:

> Just keep in mind that most people now need help in "doing the very
> basic things."

Well, I really doubt that people who even don't know how to do "the
very basic things" even know what UseNet is, forget about knowing how
to operate and configure a newsreader. If anything You'll find such
people on web forums, but even then they must be able to read and look
for the right forum which is hardly easier than going to www.hp.com,
entering "nx7000" in the driver search dialog and reading the resulting
page _completely_. Note that the OP successfully managed to do the
first both steps, he only failed reading the web site completely...

> This is an inevitable outgrowth of the fact that the
> computer industry markets and sells its products like simple consumer
> goods (toasters, non-cell phones) to naive buyers, when computers
> themselves and their software are infinitely complex. In the case of
> Window$, beyond infinitely complex... Ben Myers

I agree with Your complexity point. But a personal computer really
should be simple to operate like a toaster or a phone. Sadly, the only
approach that comes close is a Mac...

Benjamin

Hi,
I am the original poster of the message asking for support.

I think that Condescending Benjamin should refrain from making any more rash
judgements.
He keeps on referring to me as OP. So from now on I will refer to him as CB
as he seems to prefer jargon to plain English.

1. *Basically,* users need to use computers, not fix them, maintain them.
Even less do they need to learn to master new techniques that repair
techical problems that shouldn't appear in the first place.
2. My nx7000 laptop crashes for no apparent reason. No matter what
application I am using. The machine does a power-off while I am using it.
About once a week. Battery and mains supply are apparently OK.
3. I have been a HP customer since 1989 and I have always found that HP
Support people - in such cases - usually ask, "Is your BIOS up to date?". So
before complaining about these crashes I decided to do the update before the
techie asked the question. (Nowadays, HP support has really gone down the
drain. Often enough it's farmed out to third party companies, with arrogant
21 year old schoolboys reading questions from a page, questions that have
absolutely nothing to do with the problem.)
4. There is now a school of thought that says that if HP brings out a BIOS
update, the intelligent thing to do is NOT to apply it. BIOS updates are for
newbies who are not on the insider knowledge circuit.
5. I am the user. I dont know why CB says that I did not read the site
sufficiently. What does he know about what I did or or did not do ? Jumping
to conclusions. Arrogance.
6. If CB finds that users are silly to rely on floppy drives as media for
updates in 2005, why then does HP, in 2005, publish BIOS updates that
require media that the user can't use? You can't have it both ways. It's HP
that says we should copy the software to the floppy, and the user is some
kind of half-wit because he tries to do what the web site techies tell him
to do ? Apparently, CB himself has had a BIOS update in his brain. He has
been reprogrammed so that whe he sees the word "floppy" on a HP site, he
immediately interprets "Bootable CD" ... Legacy numbskulls from the 20th
century - such as myself - must be such a drag.
7. Does CB believe he is a cut above the average dumb newbie because he can
make bootable CDs or bootable USB sticks ? yeah man ! You're so cool.
Cutting edge technology.
8. How is it that the combined power and wealth of HP and Compaq (remember
the 70 million dollar bonus to Carly just for clocking in?) still hasn't
come up with a utility that will copy the BIOS upgrade to a CD or a USB
stick ? Or maybe they have such a utility and I was just too dumb to find
it.
9. OK. I've had my little rant for the morning.
10. So - to get back to the question - the only solution is to use a
bootable CD or USB stick ?

Varuna

"Benjamin Gawert" <bgawert@gmx.de> a écrit dans le message de news:
3jfpuvFpv3luU1@individual.net...
> ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote:
>
>> Just keep in mind that most people now need help in "doing the very
>> basic things."
>
> Well, I really doubt that people who even don't know how to do "the very
> basic things" even know what UseNet is, forget about knowing how to
> operate and configure a newsreader. If anything You'll find such people on
> web forums, but even then they must be able to read and look for the right
> forum which is hardly easier than going to www.hp.com, entering "nx7000"
> in the driver search dialog and reading the resulting page _completely_.
> Note that the OP successfully managed to do the first both steps, he only
> failed reading the web site completely...
>
>> This is an inevitable outgrowth of the fact that the
>> computer industry markets and sells its products like simple consumer
>> goods (toasters, non-cell phones) to naive buyers, when computers
>> themselves and their software are infinitely complex. In the case of
>> Window$, beyond infinitely complex... Ben Myers
>
> I agree with Your complexity point. But a personal computer really should
> be simple to operate like a toaster or a phone. Sadly, the only approach
> that comes close is a Mac...
>
> Benjamin

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

> [...]

> operate and configure a newsreader. If anything You'll find such people on
> web forums, but even then they must be able to read and look for the right
> forum which is hardly easier than going to www.hp.com, entering "nx7000"
> in the driver search dialog and reading the resulting page _completely_.
> Note that the OP successfully managed to do the first both steps, he only
> failed reading the web site completely...
>
>> This is an inevitable outgrowth of the fact that the
>> computer industry markets and sells its products like simple consumer
>> goods (toasters, non-cell phones) to naive buyers, when computers
>> themselves and their software are infinitely complex. In the case of
>> Window$, beyond infinitely complex... Ben Myers
>
> I agree with Your complexity point. But a personal computer really should
> be simple to operate like a toaster or a phone. Sadly, the only approach

Well put. Better than I could do, just hinting.

Back to the original point of this thread. USB floppy diskette drives seem to
run about $25 nowadays, more or less. You NX7000 should be new enough to be
able to recogize and boot from a USB floppy drive. The brand of USB floppy
drive is immaterial. They all work the same. You may have to change boot
options in the NX7000 CMOS setup menus to get the system to boot from floppy.

If the need to update the BIOS stems from an expected request to do so by HP
tech support, fine. But unless a specific BIOS update fixes a specific problem
with a system, it usually does not do much good, and runs the risk of rendering
a system inoperative if done improperly.

Having re-read you latest message, I'll give my educated guess as to one likely
cause of the shutdown problem with your NX7000. In a single word: HEAT. I've
attempted to repair several heat-challenged notebook computers in recent weeks.
If the computer has been subjected to excessive heat, either due to poor
original design or due to some quirk in its usage (e.g. clogged with dust, or
use in 100 degree ambient termperature), the only real solution is replacement
with a brand spanking new motherboard.

BTW, "OP" is the long standing Usenet abbreviation for "Original Poster". Of
all the statements made and phrases used by CB, it is perhaps the least
condescending... Ben Myers

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 09:19:30 +0200, "Six O'Clock"
<Six.O.Clock.Slowdown@FakeEmail.net> wrote:

> [...]
>been reprogrammed so that whe he sees the word "floppy" on a HP site, he
>immediately interprets "Bootable CD" ... Legacy numbskulls from the 20th
>century - such as myself - must be such a drag.
>7. Does CB believe he is a cut above the average dumb newbie because he can
>make bootable CDs or bootable USB sticks ? yeah man ! You're so cool.
>Cutting edge technology.
>8. How is it that the combined power and wealth of HP and Compaq (remember
>the 70 million dollar bonus to Carly just for clocking in?) still hasn't
>come up with a utility that will copy the BIOS upgrade to a CD or a USB
>stick ? Or maybe they have such a utility and I was just too dumb to find
>it.
>9. OK. I've had my little rant for the morning.
>10. So - to get back to the question - the only solution is to use a

Let me add further comments about flashing a BIOS. Yes, HP, Intel and others
make available a "WINFLASH" or similar program to update a BIOS while running
Windows. I have a serious issue with using such a program, pertaining to
Windows, of course. Windows has long had ongoing issues, and still has them,
with security, stability, and reliability. So I'm expected to run WINFLASH,
inherently a somewhat risky procedure as are all flash BIOS updates, on top of
an even more risky Windows platform? Not on your life! Not when the Windows
environment is so easily inhabited by viruses, worms, ad-ware, spyware and other
junk which can cause a system to lock up in mid-flash. Far better to use an
old-time freshly formatted and error-free floppy diskette, which boots to DOS
and updates the flash memory without the "benefit" of Windows. And, of course,
if one is running Linux, BSD, NetBSD or some other non-Windows operating system,
WINFLASH is about as useless as mammaries on a bull.

Yes, a bootable DOS diskette is not as pretty to use, and it may cause shock and
awe on the part of a person familiar with only the Windows environment. But
both person and computer are far more likely to overcome the shock and awe with
a successful flash update... Ben Myers

Varuna wrote:

> I think that Condescending Benjamin should refrain from making any
> more rash judgements.
> He keeps on referring to me as OP. So from now on I will refer to him
> as CB as he seems to prefer jargon to plain English.

FYI: "OP" is a common standard UseNet term for the person who started a
thread ("Original Poster")...

> 1. *Basically,* users need to use computers, not fix them, maintain
> them. Even less do they need to learn to master new techniques that
> repair techical problems that shouldn't appear in the first place.

So what?

> 2. My nx7000 laptop crashes for no apparent reason. No matter what
> application I am using. The machine does a power-off while I am
> using it. About once a week. Battery and mains supply are apparently
> OK.

Sounds more like a heat problem. Especially the memory stick under the
keyboard gets very hot, often enough it fails...

> 3. I have been a HP customer since 1989 and I have always found that
> HP Support people - in such cases - usually ask, "Is your BIOS up to
> date?". So before complaining about these crashes I decided to do the
> update before the techie asked the question. (Nowadays, HP support
> has really gone down the drain. Often enough it's farmed out to third
> party companies, with arrogant 21 year old schoolboys reading
> questions from a page, questions that have absolutely nothing to do
> with the problem.)

Fine. So what?

> 4. There is now a school of thought that says that if HP brings out a
> BIOS update, the intelligent thing to do is NOT to apply it. BIOS
> updates are for newbies who are not on the insider knowledge circuit.

Stupid thinking.

> 5. I am the user. I dont know why CB says that I did not read the
> site
> sufficiently. What does he know about what I did or or did not do ?
> Jumping to conclusions. Arrogance.

Well, if the solution to Your problem is written _two_lines_ above the
BIOS update for diskettes You obviously were able to find, it's obvious
that You didn't read the web page carefully. Or why else didn't You see
what's written on the exact same page?

> 6. If CB finds that users are silly to rely on floppy drives as media
> for updates in 2005, why then does HP, in 2005, publish BIOS updates
> that require media that the user can't use?

Ask HP. But I'm sure HP also will ask the customer why he simply didn't
use the tools he can use that are located on the same page like the
tools he can't use...

> You can't have it both
> ways. It's HP that says we should copy the software to the floppy,
> and the user is some kind of half-wit because he tries to do what the
> web site techies tell him to do ?

Hmmm...the site tells me that I can either use a floppy or use the
Windows flasher. So what?

> Apparently, CB himself has had a
> BIOS update in his brain. He has been reprogrammed so that whe he
> sees the word "floppy" on a HP site, he immediately interprets
> "Bootable CD" ... Legacy numbskulls from the 20th century - such as
> myself - must be such a drag.

No. A drag are people that don't see the solution even if it bites them
in their arse...

> 7. Does CB believe he is a cut above the average dumb newbie because
> he can make bootable CDs or bootable USB sticks ? yeah man ! You're
> so cool. Cutting edge technology.

Yeah, cutting edge. Bootable CD-RWs are almost 10 years old. Really
cutting edge...

> 8. How is it that the combined power and wealth of HP and Compaq
> (remember the 70 million dollar bonus to Carly just for clocking in?)
> still hasn't come up with a utility that will copy the BIOS upgrade
> to a CD or a USB stick ? Or maybe they have such a utility and I was
> just too dumb to find it.

Or maybe it's so easy to make a bootable CD with every CD Recording
software that it's really obvious to write anything about it on the
webiste? Especially since some people even don't see what's already
there...

> 9. OK. I've had my little rant for the morning.
> 10. So - to get back to the question - the only solution is to use a
> bootable CD or USB stick ?

No, it's the Windows flasher You are ignoring permanently.

EOD

Benjamin

Well, CB, I am pleased to note that you are beginning to be a little more
helpful though you appear to still be having trouble with the condescencion
and a strong tendancy to jump to conclusions.

You write :

Well, if the solution to Your problem is written _two_lines_ above the
BIOS update for diskettes You *obviously* were able to find, it's *obvious*
that You didn't read the web page carefully. Or why else didn't You see
what's written on the exact same page?

You apparently believe that I have been to the same page as you ?
But why are you convinced of that ?
If you have found useful information on a page, why do you imagine that
another internet user should be on the same page as yourself ?
Surely you realise that it's not just because something seem "obvious" to
you that it is real.

FYI: There are about 220 pages on the hp site that deal with nx7000 bios
upgrades.
My initial searches landed me here :
http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/hpcpqnk/us/download/19000.html
No mention of "bootable CDs", winflash ...

I get the impression that you are using the newsgroup to practise being rude
in English.
If you really want to be helpful - and after all that's what newsgroups are
for - you could indicate on which page you have found this information "two
lines above" the diskette information.

Then I will be more than pleased to thank you.

Varuna No Floppy

3jin56ForkglU1@individual.net...