distorted output - please help!

we had the pc running a few programs last night including a live feed. when
the electricity went off. on start up, the display is distorted (just barely
readable). we performed a restore to two days ago but it hasn't helped. The
monitor's (a flat screen) menu itself isn't distorted, just the output of the
pc.
Any advice?

It's possible your PC (Video card/MB Chip) has been damaged.
When you say line power went off - was it a momentary outage
or did it stay off for say a minute or more ?

When power comes back on after a momentary loss, it creates a
spike that can exceed the maximum rating of certain components.
This is why everyone should have a minimal UPS (Universal Power
Supply). It's a small battery and monitor that keeps a PC running
during power outages. Basic units can be as cheap as ~$25.00.

"tchowell1982" <tchowell1982@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> we had the pc running a few programs last night including a live feed.
> when
> the electricity went off. on start up, the display is distorted (just
> barely
> readable). we performed a restore to two days ago but it hasn't helped.
> The
> monitor's (a flat screen) menu itself isn't distorted, just the output of
> the
> pc.
> Any advice?

It was off for less than a minute until we switched to emergency supply, but
we left the pc switched off longer than that, maybe about four or five minutes

"R. McCarty" wrote:

> It's possible your PC (Video card/MB Chip) has been damaged.
> When you say line power went off - was it a momentary outage
> or did it stay off for say a minute or more ?
>
> When power comes back on after a momentary loss, it creates a
> spike that can exceed the maximum rating of certain components.
> This is why everyone should have a minimal UPS (Universal Power
> Supply). It's a small battery and monitor that keeps a PC running
> during power outages. Basic units can be as cheap as ~$25.00.
>

> "tchowell1982" <tchowell1982@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > we had the pc running a few programs last night including a live feed.
> > when
> > the electricity went off. on start up, the display is distorted (just
> > barely
> > readable). we performed a restore to two days ago but it hasn't helped.
> > The
> > monitor's (a flat screen) menu itself isn't distorted, just the output of
> > the
> > pc.
> > Any advice?

It's also possible the drive contents didn't get flushed (written) due
to the abrupt power off. Try to boot the PC to Safe Mode (F8).
If your video functions correctly - then it's a drive issue and you'll
need to run a Chkdsk to see if the "Dirty" flag is set.

> It was off for less than a minute until we switched to emergency supply,
> but
> we left the pc switched off longer than that, maybe about four or five
> minutes
>
> "R. McCarty" wrote:
>
>> It's possible your PC (Video card/MB Chip) has been damaged.
>> When you say line power went off - was it a momentary outage
>> or did it stay off for say a minute or more ?
>>
>> When power comes back on after a momentary loss, it creates a
>> spike that can exceed the maximum rating of certain components.
>> This is why everyone should have a minimal UPS (Universal Power
>> Supply). It's a small battery and monitor that keeps a PC running
>> during power outages. Basic units can be as cheap as ~$25.00.
>>

>> "tchowell1982" <tchowell1982@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > we had the pc running a few programs last night including a live feed.
>> > when
>> > the electricity went off. on start up, the display is distorted (just
>> > barely
>> > readable). we performed a restore to two days ago but it hasn't helped.
>> > The
>> > monitor's (a flat screen) menu itself isn't distorted, just the output
>> > of
>> > the
>> > pc.
>> > Any advice?

i rebooted but the display is worse than ever in safe mode. I think we'll
need to buy a new graphics card!

"R. McCarty" wrote:

> It's also possible the drive contents didn't get flushed (written) due
> to the abrupt power off. Try to boot the PC to Safe Mode (F8).
> If your video functions correctly - then it's a drive issue and you'll
> need to run a Chkdsk to see if the "Dirty" flag is set.
>
> "tchowell1982" <tchowell1982@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > It was off for less than a minute until we switched to emergency supply,
> > but
> > we left the pc switched off longer than that, maybe about four or five
> > minutes
> >
> > "R. McCarty" wrote:
> >
> >> It's possible your PC (Video card/MB Chip) has been damaged.
> >> When you say line power went off - was it a momentary outage
> >> or did it stay off for say a minute or more ?
> >>
> >> When power comes back on after a momentary loss, it creates a
> >> spike that can exceed the maximum rating of certain components.
> >> This is why everyone should have a minimal UPS (Universal Power
> >> Supply). It's a small battery and monitor that keeps a PC running
> >> during power outages. Basic units can be as cheap as ~$25.00.
> >>

> >> "tchowell1982" <tchowell1982@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Have you tried turning it off and leaving it off for about 15 to 20 minutes
before you restart it?

>i rebooted but the display is worse than ever in safe mode. I think we'll
> need to buy a new graphics card!
>
> "R. McCarty" wrote:
>
>> It's also possible the drive contents didn't get flushed (written) due
>> to the abrupt power off. Try to boot the PC to Safe Mode (F8).
>> If your video functions correctly - then it's a drive issue and you'll
>> need to run a Chkdsk to see if the "Dirty" flag is set.
>>
>> "tchowell1982" <tchowell1982@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > It was off for less than a minute until we switched to emergency
>> > supply,
>> > but
>> > we left the pc switched off longer than that, maybe about four or five
>> > minutes

TRENDING THREADS