scampc

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
Hi, I have a ViewSonic 28" LCD monitor that kind of doesn't work.... (Radeon HD6870 with 4 monitors, this one outputs to HDMI and adapted to DVI) Out of Warranty BTW.

About 2-4 weeks ago, it started flashing on and off once I turned it off, but worked fine otherwise. after restarting today for the 1st time since then, my graphics card will not detect the monitor any more. I replaced 2 bloated capacitors on the main board to no avail, exactly the same.

Since I know it works when the computer thinks it's there, is there any way to force the graphics card to output to that port or trick the driver to think the monitor is there? The monitor no longer has the ability to tell the graphics card what it is and that it's there so how can we do this with software?

I'm about to try (eew) VGA, but I cannot use VGA for my 4 monitor set up but it might be a temporary solution if it works.

Thanks.

scampc

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
It's not a video card issue, who said it was? Monitor works fine on VGA but graphics cards cannot tell what it is, just "plug and play" monitor and gives you all resolution options instead of the correct ones for the monitor. HDMI doesn't work even in POST. I just want to tell catalyst to output regardless if there's anything plugged in or not.

Well you were asking how to "force the card" to see the monitor which is looking at the video card.

The issue sounds like it's with the monitor. Need to test it out with another PC to see if the ports work right.

scampc

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
I know there is a monitor problem, hence the whole reason i replaced the capacitors and wrote this post. i do not want to force it to see the monitor, i want it to IGNORE the fact that t cannot detect a particular monitor and tell it to output anyway. It only needs to see it the monitor so it can find out the correct resolutions etc, but i can tell it that myself. i know it can be done i'd just like to know how. Back in the day of VGA (literally VGA) monitors, you could or usually had to tell the computer what sort of monitor it had and what the maximum monitor was.

I cannot (and do not desire to) obtain a new mainboard for the monitor and i know it works when Windows thinks it's there (i.e. before the restart), i just want to tell Catalyst to output 1920x1200@60Hz non-Interlaced to DVI Port one as HDMI. Works for a card with only this in VGA because the card will output to VGA regardless when there's no other options but that is not an option here.

Is there actually someone on Tom's Hardware that actually has a tool to force settings on graphics drivers? Even in driver version 8 or 9 or so you could add a custom resolution even if the monitor didn't support it. C'mon experts, show us your 1337 skillz.

Again, I want to do exactly above, not anything different before anyone else suggests.