Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 to a new hard drive

Last response: in Windows 7
March 28, 2010 6:44:48 AM

Ok so here's the deal. My other computer which has Windows 7 upgrade from Vista on it, the hard drive is failing.

The computer is HP and the Vista on it was OEM and did not come with a boot disc etc. to my knowledge.

Now I want to buy a new hard drive and want to be able to install Windows 7 on that new hard drive without having to buy a new disc. Is there a back up or system restore or something that I could use on Windows 7 to at least back up the OS and install it onto a new hard drive?

More about : windows hard drive

a b $ Windows 7
March 28, 2010 8:45:28 AM

you can Ghost the drive to the new one, it's easy and you save all your files
a b $ Windows 7
March 28, 2010 2:58:50 PM

Myself, I would do a clean install using the Upgrade disk.
The only draw back is that you will have to reload your programs and possibly some of the drivers.

If the drive is failing you may have some bad sectors and encounter a problem in doing a simple upgrade.

Method
1st disconnect your orginal HDD (leave in).
2nd install 2nd HDD and do a CLEAN install using your upgrade win 7 Disk

Method Using Upgrade disk to do a Clean install (from one of my prev post)
Do a Clean Install, But DO NOT enter your Key
Goahead and let windows 7 down load critical updates. Then:

Open regedit.exe with Start Menu Search and navigate to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Setup/OOBE
Easier - Just do a search for " MediaBootInstall"

Change MediaBootInstall from "1" to "0". (Double-click it and then enter 0 in the dialog that appears.)

Close RegEdit.

Open the Start Menu again and type cmd in Start Menu search to display a shortcut to the Command Line utility. Right-click this shortcut and choose "Run as administrator." Handle the UAC prompt.

In the command line window, type: slmgr -rearm

Then tap ENTER and wait for the "Command completed successfully" dialog.

You can now enter your registation number and activate Win 7.

With that out of the way, reconnect your 2nd HDD and using Boot menu (in bios, or usally F12 will booting) select your win 7 HDD. You should be able to see your orignal HDD and copy all your files and data to the new HDD.

Alternate - Just pull your old HDD out of computer and install in one of the $15 USB HDD enclosures and copy your Data to the New HDD.
!