Cannot browse "program files" over LAN

Hi,

Small home peer to peer LAN with XP Pro SP2 and a recent standard setup as a
workgroup on all but I cannot browse the program files folder either way.

I get the access is denied due to permissions message - but I haven't set
anything special.

I am try to run programs which reside in the prgram files folder of one
computer on another.

Any ideas

--

Best regards

Ian Robinson
2 answers Last reply
More about cannot browse program files

    Hi,

    1) System folders are generally not shared over an intranet, this is by
    design. The Program Files folder hierarchy is considered a system folder
    set.

    2) Even if they were, the programs would still need to be installed on the
    system that you want to run them on. To run a program, the system must have
    needed registry entries and supporting files placed in system folders. The
    only way to achieve this is to install the software on the intended
    machine - you can't just run it from another one.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    In article <dd4srd$avd$1@nwrdmz01.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com>, "Ian
    Robinson" <ian@forestsupport.com> wrote:
    >Hi,
    >
    >Small home peer to peer LAN with XP Pro SP2 and a recent standard setup as a
    >workgroup on all but I cannot browse the program files folder either way.
    >
    >I get the access is denied due to permissions message - but I haven't set
    >anything special.
    >
    >I am try to run programs which reside in the prgram files folder of one
    >computer on another.
    >
    >Any ideas

    That's how Windows XP works when it's installed on an NTFS disk
    partition. It blocks access to the Program Files and Windows folders
    and to individual users' folders within Documents and Settings.

    You can share subfolders within those folders, e.g. you can share
    "C:\Program Files\Outlook Express" or "C:\Documents and
    Settings\Username\Desktop" and access that folder from another
    computer on the network.

    Since you have Windows XP Professional, you can disable simple file
    sharing, which removes those sharing restrictions:

    1. Open My Computer and click Tools | Folder Options | View.
    2. Scroll to the end of the advanced settings.
    3. Un-check "Use simple file sharing (recommended)".

    As Rick said, most programs have to be installed on a computer in
    order to run on that computer.
    --
    Best Wishes,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com