Perfect buy? Gaming laptop please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

justnurf

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
Hello all THG members Hope you are all fine.
Well I though it would be good to write a FAQ for people to fill in before posting in the laptop section, in order to help others to answer questions more accurately and thus hopefully better.
So please copy and paste these questions in the thread that you want to start, and we will answer them there.

1_What is your budget? ~1500

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? ~16

3_What screen resolution do you want? Full HD, maybe 16:10 above hd would be fine

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? yes

5_How much battery life do you need? 30 min, always gonna be plugged in.

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? Fallout 3, Diablo 3, Starcraft 2, World of Warcraft(ready for the when the new expansion comes out) all high setting, running at full HD, some things lowered like shadows ext. res needs to be native.

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.) movies, rendering in blender.

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need? 100-200gigs, i like to backup to dvd's often- somthing cheap till i can get a SSHD

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post the links to them.

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop? ~5 years

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? dvd burner/reader

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. anything is fine, played on friends HP, seamed bloated and slow, but could have been cheap model

13_What country do you live in? canada

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.

want to just get a laptop, i'm sick of sitting on the couch watching my friends playing on their comp. never at home, and would like to bring a laptop around.

i'm looking at the asus g51j-a1, but after a few reviews i'm scared of the heat issues, not on my legs but burning out the gpu/cpu, and once the prices of cpu drop i would like to upgrade it, i don't know if i can upgrade the gpu too?

not worried about weight i'm a strong guy :S.

what would be perfect is if there is a base laptop out there where i can evently buy a 280gtx and the i7-940 or whatever for a lower price range of 1200$

thanks, i know there's alot of questions about this, just looking for somthing more tailered for my question

maldinilovegame

Distinguished
May 25, 2009
You need a top gaming laptop to render those games. Alienware is a little bit overbuget for your case but there are still many good models such as Gateway and ASUS suitable for you (ASUS G, Gateway P...) Good luck !

Status
Not open for further replies.