Slow startup- slow everything.

Win XP HE SP2. Dell 8300 3.0 Ghz .
PC takes minutes from startup to desktop. All programs much slower than
usual.
I regularly use Defrag, Have Microsoft anti spyware, Panda anti virus, Ad
Aware Spybot, System Mechanic Pro.etc.Have tried everything! Any advice?
Thanks.
9 answers Last reply
More about slow startup slow everything

    How much RAM do you have?

    Alias

    "Seamus Halford." <SeamusHalford@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

    > Win XP HE SP2. Dell 8300 3.0 Ghz .
    > PC takes minutes from startup to desktop. All programs much slower than
    > usual.
    > I regularly use Defrag, Have Microsoft anti spyware, Panda anti virus, Ad
    > Aware Spybot, System Mechanic Pro.etc.Have tried everything! Any advice?
    > Thanks.

    There are a couple of other things you can do to speed up performance.
    Run a disk cleanup, which will among other things, empty you IE temp files,
    which can take up space. You can also purge all restore points, or al but
    the most recent.
    You can also check what's loading at startup by going to start/run type in
    msconfig Then click the startup tab, and uncheck anything you don't need to
    run at startup.
    From your IE toolbar ( assuming that you use IE )go to tools, Options,
    shoot I can't remember what to do from there, I don't use IE anymore, but
    look for temp files folders and cookies, delete them, if there are any left
    after running disk cleanup.

    "Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message
    > How much RAM do you have?
    >
    > Alias
    >
    > "Seamus Halford." <SeamusHalford@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
    >
    >> Win XP HE SP2. Dell 8300 3.0 Ghz .
    >> PC takes minutes from startup to desktop. All programs much slower than
    >> usual.
    >> I regularly use Defrag, Have Microsoft anti spyware, Panda anti virus,
    >> Ad
    >> Aware Spybot, System Mechanic Pro.etc.Have tried everything! Any advice?
    >> Thanks.

    1536 Mb. 200 Gb. HD

    "Alias" wrote:

    > How much RAM do you have?
    >
    > Alias
    >
    > "Seamus Halford." <SeamusHalford@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
    >
    > > Win XP HE SP2. Dell 8300 3.0 Ghz .
    > > PC takes minutes from startup to desktop. All programs much slower than
    > > usual.
    > > I regularly use Defrag, Have Microsoft anti spyware, Panda anti virus, Ad
    > > Aware Spybot, System Mechanic Pro.etc.Have tried everything! Any advice?
    > > Thanks.

    Use MSConfig.Exe to list your Startups & Watchdogs. The only
    issue I see in your listing is "System Mechanic Pro". Have you used
    it lately to Clean up ? Which Firewall do you use ?

    "Seamus Halford." <SeamusHalford@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > 1536 Mb. 200 Gb. HD
    >
    > "Alias" wrote:
    >
    >> How much RAM do you have?
    >>
    >> Alias
    >>
    >> "Seamus Halford." <SeamusHalford@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
    >>
    >> > Win XP HE SP2. Dell 8300 3.0 Ghz .
    >> > PC takes minutes from startup to desktop. All programs much slower
    >> > than
    >> > usual.
    >> > I regularly use Defrag, Have Microsoft anti spyware, Panda anti virus,
    >> > Ad
    >> > Aware Spybot, System Mechanic Pro.etc.Have tried everything! Any
    >> > advice?
    >> > Thanks.

    Ivee,
    All you mentioned is done regularly by System Mechanic Pro. I have re-run
    them and it makes no difference.

    "lvee" wrote:

    > There are a couple of other things you can do to speed up performance.
    > Run a disk cleanup, which will among other things, empty you IE temp files,
    > which can take up space. You can also purge all restore points, or al but
    > the most recent.
    > You can also check what's loading at startup by going to start/run type in
    > msconfig Then click the startup tab, and uncheck anything you don't need to
    > run at startup.
    > From your IE toolbar ( assuming that you use IE )go to tools, Options,
    > shoot I can't remember what to do from there, I don't use IE anymore, but
    > look for temp files folders and cookies, delete them, if there are any left
    > after running disk cleanup.
    >

    > "Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message
    > > How much RAM do you have?
    > >
    > > Alias
    > >
    > > "Seamus Halford." <SeamusHalford@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
    > >
    > >> Win XP HE SP2. Dell 8300 3.0 Ghz .
    > >> PC takes minutes from startup to desktop. All programs much slower than
    > >> usual.
    > >> I regularly use Defrag, Have Microsoft anti spyware, Panda anti virus,
    > >> Ad
    > >> Aware Spybot, System Mechanic Pro.etc.Have tried everything! Any advice?
    > >> Thanks.

    System Mechanic Pro used almost daily. Firewall is Panda.

    "R. McCarty" wrote:

    > Use MSConfig.Exe to list your Startups & Watchdogs. The only
    > issue I see in your listing is "System Mechanic Pro". Have you used
    > it lately to Clean up ? Which Firewall do you use ?
    >
    > "Seamus Halford." <SeamusHalford@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > 1536 Mb. 200 Gb. HD
    > >
    > > "Alias" wrote:
    > >
    > >> How much RAM do you have?
    > >>
    > >> Alias
    > >>
    > >> "Seamus Halford." <SeamusHalford@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

    Thanks for the follow-up info. In cases like yours, I would first boot
    to Safe Mode and monitor it's time. If it (SM) functions correctly w/
    a 30-50 second time then it's not hardware or OS related. Next I
    would create a new user profile and try that in Normal boot mode.
    If that works within a reasonable time frame then your issue is a
    profile specific one and you'll have to do some more detective work
    to run down the cause.

    > System Mechanic Pro used almost daily. Firewall is Panda.
    >
    > "R. McCarty" wrote:
    >
    >> Use MSConfig.Exe to list your Startups & Watchdogs. The only
    >> issue I see in your listing is "System Mechanic Pro". Have you used
    >> it lately to Clean up ? Which Firewall do you use ?
    >>
    >> "Seamus Halford." <SeamusHalford@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    >> message
    >> > 1536 Mb. 200 Gb. HD

    How "slow" is your slow start-up? If your system has many services enabled,
    start up can often take over two minutes even on a fast machine with fast
    disks. Start up speed is significantly affected by disk speed since all your
    processes have to be loaded from disk. I noticed a dramatic improvement when
    I replaced 7K disks with 10K disks from the same manufacturer. Hence slow
    performance may be an indication that you need to defrag your disk.

    As to System Mechanic, it is a powerful tool that needs to be used with care
    and not too often, it can damage performance. It is definitely not good idea
    to schedule it for regular unattended operation. You need to reboot and test
    your system after using it. It is not a sufficient tool for removing all
    malware, as well as anti-adware, anti-spyware and anti-virus run Spybot
    Search& Destroy once a week.

    Let us know if you are able to improve your performance and if so what you
    did.

    --
    Uncle John

    A couple of other things to try:

    1) Search for *.tmp files and delete them. Sometimes they may be 0k in size
    and can be located in directories other than the usual temp folders.

    2) If you have a bunch of fonts, uninstall some that aren't used often.
    Sometimes a corrupted font can cause problems. There a quite a few differing
    opinions on this. Search the technical articles, but it helped me.

    Hope it might help,
    PGIL

    "Seamus Halford." wrote:

    > 1536 Mb. 200 Gb. HD
    >
    > "Alias" wrote:
    >
    > > How much RAM do you have?
    > >
    > > Alias
    > >
    > > "Seamus Halford." <SeamusHalford@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
    > >
    > > > Win XP HE SP2. Dell 8300 3.0 Ghz .
    > > > PC takes minutes from startup to desktop. All programs much slower than
    > > > usual.
    > > > I regularly use Defrag, Have Microsoft anti spyware, Panda anti virus, Ad
    > > > Aware Spybot, System Mechanic Pro.etc.Have tried everything! Any advice?
    > > > Thanks.

Slow Startup Microsoft Windows XP