Thoughts about changes in THG CPU Benchmark Suite

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
I have serious complain aginst removing "LAME MP3" from their bencmark suite. I don't know is there anybody who wants to spend $$$ after MP3 Maker Platinum, since LAME is better and free, or want to encode to MP3 Pro. It's unclear what they wanted to do with MP3 Maker Platinum. Did they encode to MP3 or MP3 Pro? They told nothing about it anywhere.

There's also positive changes. Using WinRAR instead of WinACE is a good change, since WinRAR offers better compression and much more popular.

New DV to MPEG Encoding benchmark is good.

I demand to THG for including OGG Vorbis encoding benchmarks. This audio compression technology is much better than MP3 and popular next to MP3. Many games have started using OGG Vorbis- UT2003, Mafia, Cricket 2002 are examples.

<b> "You can put lipstick on a pig, but hey, it's still a pig!" - RobD </b>

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
spec view perf sould be remove also as the benchmark dont show the reality.

Winstone as been update to 2003 and it show P4 winner by huge margin.So maybe sysmark 2002 can be remove even as the show about the same result that Winstone.

3dmark as move to 2003 mean we sould only benchmark 2001SE and 2003 and say bye bye to to 2000.

Quake 3 as to be remove we reach over 400 FPS.It just question of time that Doom 3 show up.

Encoding decoding software are hard to benchmark as some show massive optimization others none.

Just next to the lab and the bunker you will find the marketing departement.

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
OGG Vorbis has no optimization for 3D Now!/SSE/SSE2. Only raw CPU power can encode to OGG faster. So Athlon should win this benchmark, but since no benchmark data available, it's hard to say that P4 is slower.

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
But why the others software will not be taken so i suggest that everyone look at all article over the internet as anandtech toms and aceshardware will be my top choice.

imgod2u

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2002
I'm not aware of OGG being more popular than MP3. Why would benchmarking it be relevant then? Although I admit, a benchmark using a more popular mp3 tool would be better. Possibly something like Media Jukebox or something.

"We are Microsoft, resistance is futile." - Bill Gates, 2015.

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
What's wrong with LAME MP3? It's the best and most popular MP3 Encoder. Their command line tools are benchmark friendly.

OGG Vobis is not more popular than MP3, but it's polular next to MP3. It's better and free. It has all qualities to replace MP3.

imgod2u

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2002
As I recall, tomshardware used LAME in most of their benchmarks. It's quite a wonder why it wasn't in this one. It was in the 3.06 P4 <A HREF="http://www17.tomshardware.com/cpu/20021114/p4_306ht-14.html" target="_new">review</A> they had.

"We are Microsoft, resistance is futile." - Bill Gates, 2015.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
I think toms should slimm down the number of processors featured in the benchmark suit... so many bars on the graph it becomes confusing.

And only include overclocked ones at the end.

<b>Anyone claiming they can see the difference
between 450 and 500 FPS in Quake3 deserves to
be severely beaten with a rock. :smile: </b>

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
That a good idea but toms become more mainstream by now

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Quake 3 as to be remove we reach over 400 FPS.
I could be wrong, but I believe that Q3 is still used simply <i>because</i> it doesn't stress the video card any. I think the reasoning is that the video card doesn't do much for it's performance. Most of the performance of Q3 comes from the processor. So even though no one could possibly see the 400FPS in Q3, it <i>is</i> a good indication of the CPU's performance.

PC Repair-Vol 1:Getting To Know Your PC.
PC Repair-Vol 2:Troubleshooting Your PC.
PC Repair-Vol 3:Having Trouble Troubleshooting Your PC?
PC Repair-Vol 4:Having Trouble Shooting Your PC?

TRENDING THREADS