lenny109

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2005

Hi,
Not sure if this is the right group but if there is a better one please tell
me.

I have Windows XP Pro on my computer. It is on the C drive and I have D
drive for my larger video files.

The Computer was running just fine yesterday and suddenly it stalled. I was
unable to do anything so had to restart. When I restarted the computer
during the load up process whilst Auto detecting Primary Master and Primary
Slave drives the computer could not regorgnise either. Because of this I
have been unable to boot up. I have tried to start up with the XP disk in
and if I go to the recovery option from the CD it recorgnises that there is
already a windows XP version on the C drive. So how come the computer will
not recorgnise any of the drives during the start up process? I have tried
many times now and neither of the drives is ever recorgnised. Nor does it
see them if I go into the bios and try detecting them from there. I have
checked all the connections.

What can I do to get my computer started again please?

Please help me!

Lenny

map

lenny109 wrote:
> Hi,
> Not sure if this is the right group but if there is a better one
> please tell me.
>
> I have Windows XP Pro on my computer. It is on the C drive and I have
> D drive for my larger video files.
>
> The Computer was running just fine yesterday and suddenly it stalled.
> I was unable to do anything so had to restart. When I restarted the
> computer during the load up process whilst Auto detecting Primary
> Master and Primary Slave drives the computer could not regorgnise
> either. Because of this I have been unable to boot up. I have tried
> to start up with the XP disk in and if I go to the recovery option
> from the CD it recorgnises that there is already a windows XP version
> on the C drive. So how come the computer will not recorgnise any of
> the drives during the start up process? I have tried many times now
> and neither of the drives is ever recorgnised. Nor does it see them
> if I go into the bios and try detecting them from there. I have
> checked all the connections.
>
> What can I do to get my computer started again please?
>
> Please help me!
>
> Lenny

Your boot files are corrupted.

Mike Pawlak

lenny109

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2005

Hi Mike,
I have tried a repair install and all the startup files seem to load but
then the computer reboots and I am back to the same 'Welcome to Setup' page.
Each time I follow the instructions I end up back at the same page.

"MAP" <mikepawlak2REM@OVEhotmail.com> wrote in message
> lenny109 wrote:
>> Hi,
>> Not sure if this is the right group but if there is a better one
>> please tell me.
>>
>> I have Windows XP Pro on my computer. It is on the C drive and I have
>> D drive for my larger video files.
>>
>> The Computer was running just fine yesterday and suddenly it stalled.
>> I was unable to do anything so had to restart. When I restarted the
>> computer during the load up process whilst Auto detecting Primary
>> Master and Primary Slave drives the computer could not regorgnise
>> either. Because of this I have been unable to boot up. I have tried
>> to start up with the XP disk in and if I go to the recovery option
>> from the CD it recorgnises that there is already a windows XP version
>> on the C drive. So how come the computer will not recorgnise any of
>> the drives during the start up process? I have tried many times now
>> and neither of the drives is ever recorgnised. Nor does it see them
>> if I go into the bios and try detecting them from there. I have
>> checked all the connections.
>>
>> What can I do to get my computer started again please?
>>
>> Please help me!
>>
>> Lenny
>
> Your boot files are corrupted.
> http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
>
> --
> Mike Pawlak

jonah

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2004

On Sun, 7 Aug 2005 15:16:08 +0100, "lenny109"
<lenny109.nospam@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hi Mike,
>I have tried a repair install and all the startup files seem to load but
>then the computer reboots and I am back to the same 'Welcome to Setup' page.
>Each time I follow the instructions I end up back at the same page.
>

>"MAP" <mikepawlak2REM@OVEhotmail.com> wrote in message

snip

>> Your boot files are corrupted.
>> http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
>>
>> --
>> Mike Pawlak

Lenny Your boot files are corrupted as Mike said. You need to fix your
Master Boot Record.

> 1.) Boot from XP CD
> 2.) Select "Recovery Console" (ie: Press the R key within setup)
> 3.) Tell it which partition (ie: Partition 1 on disk 0).
> You may need to input your password (if there is one) about now.
> You should now have a "Recovery Console" command prompt...
> 4.) Type "fixmbr" ... hit "Y" for yes.

Try that then hit escape to get out of recovery mode, take out the XP
CD and try it again.

Jonah

lenny109

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2005

I am going to start a new tread in a hardware newsgroup as it seems that the
harddrive may be at fault.
"jonah" <jonah@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 7 Aug 2005 15:16:08 +0100, "lenny109"
> <lenny109.nospam@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Hi Mike,
>>I have tried a repair install and all the startup files seem to load but
>>then the computer reboots and I am back to the same 'Welcome to Setup'
>>page.
>>Each time I follow the instructions I end up back at the same page.
>>

>>"MAP" <mikepawlak2REM@OVEhotmail.com> wrote in message
>
> snip
>>>
>>> Your boot files are corrupted.
>>> http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
>>>
>>> --
>>> Mike Pawlak
>>>

> Lenny Your boot files are corrupted as Mike said. You need to fix your
> Master Boot Record.
>
>> 1.) Boot from XP CD
>> 2.) Select "Recovery Console" (ie: Press the R key within setup)
>> 3.) Tell it which partition (ie: Partition 1 on disk 0).
>> You may need to input your password (if there is one) about now.
>> You should now have a "Recovery Console" command prompt...
>> 4.) Type "fixmbr" ... hit "Y" for yes.
>
> Try that then hit escape to get out of recovery mode, take out the XP
> CD and try it again.
>
> Jonah

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

lenny109 wrote:

> I am going to start a new tread in a hardware newsgroup as it seems that the
> harddrive may be at fault.
> "jonah" <jonah@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>
>>On Sun, 7 Aug 2005 15:16:08 +0100, "lenny109"
>><lenny109.nospam@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>>Hi Mike,
>>>I have tried a repair install and all the startup files seem to load but
>>>then the computer reboots and I am back to the same 'Welcome to Setup'
>>>page.
>>>Each time I follow the instructions I end up back at the same page.
>>>

>>>"MAP" <mikepawlak2REM@OVEhotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>snip

>>Lenny Your boot files are corrupted as Mike said. You need to fix your
>>Master Boot Record.
>>

>>> 1.) Boot from XP CD
>>> 2.) Select "Recovery Console" (ie: Press the R key within setup)
>>> 3.) Tell it which partition (ie: Partition 1 on disk 0).
>>> You may need to input your password (if there is one) about now.
>>> You should now have a "Recovery Console" command prompt...
>>> 4.) Type "fixmbr" ... hit "Y" for yes.
>>
>>Try that then hit escape to get out of recovery mode, take out the XP
>>CD and try it again.
>>
>>Jonah

Download a drive diagnostic utility from the drive manufacturer's web
site. That will create a bootable floppy or CD. Boot from that to see
if it can see the problem drive. If so run the diagnostics. If it
can't see the drive, it's probably gone. Recovering the data from it
will be costly using a data recovery service like ontrack or drivesavers.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User