4600 power supplies

As the (to date) very happy owner of a Dell Dimension 4600 purchased
new in March 2004, I am slightly concerned to read the following:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/07/11/dell_customer_support/

How prevalent is the failing 4600 power supply issue, in the group's
experience? If the probability is that it will shortly fail, I will
order a spare now, so that they can be swapped over as required.

TIA.

--
Anthony Edwards
anthony@catfish.nildram.co.uk

The problem seems to be fairly common.

The good thing about the 4600 (and 2400/3000/4700) chassis is that the
back is wide open, so just about any ATX power supply can be used for
the 2400/3000/4600 (the 4700 uses a BTX connector and SATA power rails).

Anthony Edwards wrote:
> As the (to date) very happy owner of a Dell Dimension 4600 purchased
> new in March 2004, I am slightly concerned to read the following:
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/07/11/dell_customer_support/
>
> How prevalent is the failing 4600 power supply issue, in the group's
> experience? If the probability is that it will shortly fail, I will
> order a spare now, so that they can be swapped over as required.
>
> TIA.

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 17:17:39 -0000, Anthony Edwards
<usenet@catfish.nildram.co.uk> wrote:

>As the (to date) very happy owner of a Dell Dimension 4600 purchased
>new in March 2004, I am slightly concerned to read the following:
>
>http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/07/11/dell_customer_support/
>
>How prevalent is the failing 4600 power supply issue, in the group's
>experience? If the probability is that it will shortly fail, I will
>order a spare now, so that they can be swapped over as required.

I see 4600's occasionally, maybe replace 2-3 PS's per week...but it's
nothing widespread. It could've been from voltage surges or
lightning. Swap it out, upgrade the BIOS while I'm there, begin a
defrag, and done.

Sometimes Dell sends the whole kitten-kaboodle....motherboard, CPU,
DIMMs, modem *and* PS, just in case it was a surge and it got to other
parts in the system. Nothing worse than replacing a PS, still not
working, then having to call Dell tech support and wait on hold for
20-30 minutes (yes, techs have to wait on hold, too ;P ).

I think I'm *too* good at my job...I keep having to move into other
tech's territories cuz there's not enough work in my area :) Where's
those thunderstorms when ya need em?

Dan