lenny109

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2005

Hi,
Not sure if this is the right group but if there is a better one please tell
me.

I have Windows XP Pro on my computer. It is on the C drive and I have D
drive for my larger video files.

The Computer was running just fine yesterday and suddenly it stalled. I was
unable to do anything so had to restart. When I restarted the computer
during the load up process whilst Auto detecting Primary Master and Primary
Slave drives the computer could not regorgnise either. Because of this I
have been unable to boot up. I have tried to start up with the XP disk in
and if I go to the recovery option from the CD it recorgnises that there is
already a windows XP version on the C drive. So how come the computer will
not recorgnise any of the drives during the start up process? I have tried
many times now and neither of the drives is ever recorgnised. Nor does it
see them if I go into the bios and try detecting them from there. I have
checked all the connections.

What can I do to get my computer started again please?

Please help me!

Lenny

lenny109 wrote:

> Hi,
> Not sure if this is the right group but if there is a better one please tell
> me.
>
> I have Windows XP Pro on my computer. It is on the C drive and I have D
> drive for my larger video files.
>
> The Computer was running just fine yesterday and suddenly it stalled. I was
> unable to do anything so had to restart. When I restarted the computer
> during the load up process whilst Auto detecting Primary Master and Primary
> Slave drives the computer could not regorgnise either. Because of this I
> have been unable to boot up. I have tried to start up with the XP disk in
> and if I go to the recovery option from the CD it recorgnises that there is
> already a windows XP version on the C drive. So how come the computer will
> not recorgnise any of the drives during the start up process? I have tried
> many times now and neither of the drives is ever recorgnised. Nor does it
> see them if I go into the bios and try detecting them from there. I have
> checked all the connections.
>
> What can I do to get my computer started again please?

When you try to boot up as usual, what exactly is the error message? Is
there an error code number as well?

lenny109

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2005

Hi Frank,
There is no error message. I am unable to get into any Windows boot sequence
I just get the computer trying to boot via the other methods, CD and floppy.
It is the very first boot sequence (Motherboad boot) that will not even
recorgnise the Hard drives.

"Frank Booth Snr" <frank@oldman.com> wrote in message
> lenny109 wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> Not sure if this is the right group but if there is a better one please
>> tell
>> me.
>>
>> I have Windows XP Pro on my computer. It is on the C drive and I have D
>> drive for my larger video files.
>>
>> The Computer was running just fine yesterday and suddenly it stalled. I
>> was
>> unable to do anything so had to restart. When I restarted the computer
>> during the load up process whilst Auto detecting Primary Master and
>> Primary
>> Slave drives the computer could not regorgnise either. Because of this I
>> have been unable to boot up. I have tried to start up with the XP disk in
>> and if I go to the recovery option from the CD it recorgnises that there
>> is
>> already a windows XP version on the C drive. So how come the computer
>> will
>> not recorgnise any of the drives during the start up process? I have
>> tried
>> many times now and neither of the drives is ever recorgnised. Nor does it
>> see them if I go into the bios and try detecting them from there. I have
>> checked all the connections.
>>
>> What can I do to get my computer started again please?
>>
> When you try to boot up as usual, what exactly is the error message? Is
> there an error code number as well?

vanguard

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2004

"lenny109" <lenny109.nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi Frank,
> There is no error message. I am unable to get into any Windows boot
> sequence I just get the computer trying to boot via the other methods,
> CD and floppy.
> It is the very first boot sequence (Motherboad boot) that will not
> even recorgnise the Hard drives.
>
> "Frank Booth Snr" <frank@oldman.com> wrote in message
>> lenny109 wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> Not sure if this is the right group but if there is a better one
>>> please tell
>>> me.
>>>
>>> I have Windows XP Pro on my computer. It is on the C drive and I
>>> have D
>>> drive for my larger video files.
>>>
>>> The Computer was running just fine yesterday and suddenly it
>>> stalled. I was
>>> unable to do anything so had to restart. When I restarted the
>>> computer
>>> during the load up process whilst Auto detecting Primary Master and
>>> Primary
>>> Slave drives the computer could not regorgnise either. Because of
>>> this I
>>> have been unable to boot up. I have tried to start up with the XP
>>> disk in
>>> and if I go to the recovery option from the CD it recorgnises that
>>> there is
>>> already a windows XP version on the C drive. So how come the
>>> computer will
>>> not recorgnise any of the drives during the start up process? I have
>>> tried
>>> many times now and neither of the drives is ever recorgnised. Nor
>>> does it
>>> see them if I go into the bios and try detecting them from there. I
>>> have
>>> checked all the connections.
>>>
>>> What can I do to get my computer started again please?
>>>
>> When you try to boot up as usual, what exactly is the error message?
>> Is there an error code number as well?

If the BIOS cannot find the hard drives, its boot program won't be able
to find and load the boot program in the hard drive's MBR (master boot
record). So you have a hardware problem. Could be a surge took out
your computer, like the motherboard. Could be a cable isn't securely
pushed on or it fell off. If the power connector fell off, you won't
hear the whine for the hard drive spin up. If the hard drive spins up
and makes its whine, maybe its data cable fell off the hard drive or the
motherboard header or isn't pushed all the way on. Make sure there
isn't any tension on the data cable to the hard drive as obviously that
means the cable will pull away from the header.

If one drive went bad, and if it was the master drive, it is possible
that the BIOS cannot see the slave drive. Disconnect the data cable
from the master drive, jumper the slave drive to be a master (or a
single drive), and boot again to see if the BIOS recognizes that drive
(but you won't be able to boot into the OS because that is on the other
drive that you disconnected).

For e-mail, remove "NIX" and add "#LAH" passcode to Subject.

lenny109

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2005

OK, I have taken out the second drive and the bios now loads the master OK.
Too late now but I have also reinstalled windows. When I attach the second
drive (Slave) then the startup sequence will not recorgnise either drive
again.
Would this happen if the second drive is faulty? If so, why doesn't it pick
up the Master first and not the Slave? Also how can I get the info from the
slave?

I have the Slave Drive in the freezer at the moment to see if that works but
I am not holding my breath on this one.
Cheers

lenny109 wrote:
> OK, I have taken out the second drive and the bios now loads the master OK.
> Too late now but I have also reinstalled windows. When I attach the second
> drive (Slave) then the startup sequence will not recorgnise either drive
> again.
> Would this happen if the second drive is faulty? If so, why doesn't it pick
> up the Master first and not the Slave? Also how can I get the info from the
> slave?
>
> I have the Slave Drive in the freezer at the moment to see if that works but
> I am not holding my breath on this one.
> Cheers
What IS your second drive???? Is that a second hard disk or your CDRom
Drive or what? You don't make it clear. From what you've just it now
sounds like you have 3 drives.

What does the previous bios setup screen report? Is the disk shown to be
present and enabled (auto)? If the answer is yes then
if you boot from the Windows CD and attempt to access the Recovery Console
by hitting R when the option is offered BEFORE the repair install what
happens?
Are you shown a valid Windows drive? If you are you can enter Windows
(assume that there is no Administrator password when asked).
You can then use the commands displayed after typing Help to repair the boot
files.
--
Uncle John

>> There is no error message. I am unable to get into any Windows boot
>> sequence I just get the computer trying to boot via the other methods, CD
>> and floppy.
>> It is the very first boot sequence (Motherboad boot) that will not even
>> recorgnise the Hard drives.
>>
>> "Frank Booth Snr" <frank@oldman.com> wrote in message

>>> When you try to boot up as usual, what exactly is the error message? Is
>>> there an error code number as well?
>>>

> If the BIOS cannot find the hard drives, its boot program won't be able to
> find and load the boot program in the hard drive's MBR (master boot
> record). So you have a hardware problem. Could be a surge took out your
> computer, like the motherboard. Could be a cable isn't securely pushed on
> or it fell off. If the power connector fell off, you won't hear the whine
> for the hard drive spin up. If the hard drive spins up and makes its
> whine, maybe its data cable fell off the hard drive or the motherboard
> header or isn't pushed all the way on. Make sure there isn't any tension
> on the data cable to the hard drive as obviously that means the cable will
> pull away from the header.
>
> If one drive went bad, and if it was the master drive, it is possible that
> the BIOS cannot see the slave drive. Disconnect the data cable from the
> master drive, jumper the slave drive to be a master (or a single drive),
> and boot again to see if the BIOS recognizes that drive (but you won't be
> able to boot into the OS because that is on the other drive that you
> disconnected).

> For e-mail, remove "NIX" and add "#LAH" passcode to Subject.

lenny109

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2005

Frank,
I have 2 Hard drives (Master and Slave) Master has windows on it and the
other is just a storage Drive. What I have found now is if I disconect the
storage drive the Master is recorgnised and Windows loads up. If I connect
the Storage drive (It has been connected and running fine for the last year
until yesterday) then the load up sequence doesn't recorgnise either drive
and nor does the the Bios setup pages.
I hope that has explained it a little better. It all seemed so simple when I
was writing it before!
Cheers
Lenny

lenny109 wrote:

> Frank,
> I have 2 Hard drives (Master and Slave) Master has windows on it and the
> other is just a storage Drive.
Right. So in fact as I suggested you have 3 drives, 2 HDDs + 1 CDRom.
First of all it's best that your 2nd HDD (D2) should also be a master on
the 2nd IDE channel, with the CDRom connected as as a slave to either
one. To do that you would have to change the little plastic jumper clip
to 'slave' position on CDRom drive. Likewise the jumper for (D2) would
have to be changed to 'master'on D2.
What I have found now is if I disconect the
> storage drive the Master is recorgnised and Windows loads up. If I connect
> the Storage drive (It has been connected and running fine for the last year
> until yesterday) then the load up sequence doesn't recorgnise either drive
> and nor does the the Bios setup pages.
When you mention 'the BIOS setup pages' are you talking about what you
are reading as the computer tries to boot up, or have you been into CMOS
and tried to autodetect the 2nd HDD? While you are in CMOS (assuming
you looked in there) did you check whether the 1st boot was set to IDE 0
and the 2nd boot to CDROM? Assuming that you have correctly wired up
D2's power cable, jumper and data cable, then if it isn't auto-detected
you have a problem. It may not be the drive itself. It could be any of
the aforementioned cables. You then should remove D2 and swap it over
for D1, ie D2 is now in IDE 0 pos. with D1 in IDE 1 pos. Then check to
see whether CMOS will autodetect either. Assuming you've connected up
everything correctly, that should tell you whether D2 is buggered.

lenny109

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2005

Hi Frank, I think you are right. The HDD (D2) is buggered. I have tried as
you mentioned but it doesn't matter, D2 is never recorgnised by any computer
using any combination of HDD or Cable.

Can I take the HDD apart and put the hard disk into another case? It is just
a thought!

lenny109 wrote:
> Hi Frank, I think you are right. The HDD (D2) is buggered. I have tried as
> you mentioned but it doesn't matter, D2 is never recorgnised by any computer
> using any combination of HDD or Cable.
>
> Can I take the HDD apart and put the hard disk into another case? It is just
> a thought!
>

> "Frank Booth Snr" <frank@oldman.com> wrote in message
>
>>lenny109 wrote:
>>

>>>Frank,
>>>I have 2 Hard drives (Master and Slave) Master has windows on it and the
>>>other is just a storage Drive.
>>
>>Right. So in fact as I suggested you have 3 drives, 2 HDDs + 1 CDRom.
>>First of all it's best that your 2nd HDD (D2) should also be a master on
>>the 2nd IDE channel, with the CDRom connected as as a slave to either one.
>>To do that you would have to change the little plastic jumper clip to
>>'slave' position on CDRom drive. Likewise the jumper for (D2) would have
>>to be changed to 'master'on D2.
>>What I have found now is if I disconect the
>>
>>>storage drive the Master is recorgnised and Windows loads up. If I
>>>connect the Storage drive (It has been connected and running fine for the
>>>last year until yesterday) then the load up sequence doesn't recorgnise
>>>either drive and nor does the the Bios setup pages.
>>
>>When you mention 'the BIOS setup pages' are you talking about what you are
>>reading as the computer tries to boot up, or have you been into CMOS and
>>tried to autodetect the 2nd HDD? While you are in CMOS (assuming you
>>looked in there) did you check whether the 1st boot was set to IDE 0 and
>>the 2nd boot to CDROM? Assuming that you have correctly wired up D2's
>>power cable, jumper and data cable, then if it isn't auto-detected you
>>have a problem. It may not be the drive itself. It could be any of the
>>aforementioned cables. You then should remove D2 and swap it over for D1,
>>ie D2 is now in IDE 0 pos. with D1 in IDE 1 pos. Then check to see whether
>>CMOS will autodetect either. Assuming you've connected up everything
>>correctly, that should tell you whether D2 is buggered.

If you open an HDD it will never work again, anyway. I think you have
been winding us up.

You should be meaning: taking the second hard drive out and trying it in
another PC. Yes you can.

You are to never disassemble a hard drive so that you can touch the
platters. This would normally render to hard drive useless (unless you know
what to do is a "clean room').

Yves Leclerc wrote:

> You should be meaning: taking the second hard drive out and trying it in
> another PC. Yes you can.
>
> You are to never disassemble a hard drive so that you can touch the
> platters. This would normally render to hard drive useless (unless you know
> what to do is a "clean room').

I'm not sure what he means. He's already said he tried it in another PC
as well as his own , and it proved negative. So then why would he want
to take it out and put it in another PC if it's not working? Weird!