Windows ME Tweaks

CrazyAggie05

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2002
hey yall, a while back i tweaked my vcache, mem settings, etc. as instructed by some guides i found on the net. i then more recently downloaded a few programs like cacheman to manage my memory, and since then, things have gotten crappy. my puter runs real fast when i first boot up, but it quickly slows down. especially when i open multiple programs like IE. even clicking the start button takes like 10 seconds sometimes. i guess it changed some settings that pissed off my computer. i have a dell dimension 8100, p4 1.4ghz, 256 megs ram, radeon 8500, WD 80gig HD master and a WD 20gig slave. any ideas? are there some better guides out there? most of the ones i looked at were for ppl with like 64 to 128 megs, so they were kinda old..........but still had Windows ME instructions in them.....thanks

ryall

nja469

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2002
Best tweak for windows ME is installing windows 98SE over it or upgrade to XP :eek:)

"Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one"

nja469

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2002
Windows ME is win98SE with pretty colors and "Added features" as microsoft called them that the old windows kernel didn't take too well causing the OS to be very unstable compared to other releases. Generally most people would agree Windows ME is slightly slower than its predecessor and much more unstable. Windows XP is king right now when it comes to stability. Some could argue windows 2000 is, but XP is built on 2000 but has features that people want at home thus making it a more attractive buy.

Anyhow this site offers tweaks for windows. I have used a couple tweaks to optimize XP for my high-bandwidth internet connection. <A HREF="http://www.winguides.com/registry/tweaks.php/WindowsMe" target="_new">Here's the main page for ME tweaks!</A> I don't know if this helps or what you're looking, but all I could think of.

"Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one"

CrazyAggie05

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2002
hey, im a big gamer so i need game performance, but also want good windows performance. with 256 megs of ram, what are some good settings for my virtual memory and vcache? all the tweak guides are kinda old, and i dunno if the same rules, like 25% of your memory are good......

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Man.

I run Winme on 3 different machines. Two dual boot with xp, and one is pure.

Winme is fast; stable (as [-peep-] stable as ms-dos will get); and easy to install.

It's like windows95, service pack 6. Whereas win98 is win95/service pack 3.

All I have to say is, if you can't get winme to run stable and faster than win98, you are a Gomer...

C@lling it like I c it...

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
This is still an excellent guide for Win9x:

<A HREF="http://www.techspot.com/tweaks/memory/print.shtml" target="_new">Tweaking your System Memory</A>

Toejam31

<font color=red>First Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=17935" target="_new"><font color=green>Toejam31's Devastating Dalek Destroyer</font color=green></A>
<font color=red>Second Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=15942" target="_new"><font color=green>Toey's Dynamite DDR Duron</font color=green></A>

<font color=purple>"Some push the envelope. Some just lick it. And some can't find the flap."</font color=purple>

Dave1176

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2002
I'm sorry but I will only run ME and so does almost anyone I know. Everything else is a dog when it comes to fast bootups. I wont run anything else. It took some time and formats to figure how to keep it "happy". no cacheman programs no tweaking other than in the OS it self. Win98 is cool but I just prefer the OS compressed files rather than winzip or netzip

Michael_B

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2001
I use XP Pro w/ 768MB RAM now, but when I used ME I had 256MB and I always got good results using a 40MB min/max vcache and a 512MB swap file. If you're a heavy gamer you might want to have a bigger swap file though.