VPU Recover graphic driver frequent reset - Serious Errors..

mic

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2004

I seem to have a problem I'm guessing with ATI graphics. I am randomly
getting the following message -VPU Recover has reset your graphics
accelerator as it was no longer responding to graphics driver commands. The
display adaptor is Radeon 9550 and Radeon 9550 Secondary.
These other problems may also be related
This one is tied to a message that says that windows encountered a serious
problem and had to restart:
System error:
Error code 000000ea, parameter1 81acb5f0, parameter2 819f42f0, parameter3
8219af28, parameter4 00000001.

And also

The driver ati2dvag for the display device \Device\Video0 got stuck in an
infinite loop. This usually indicates a problem with the device itself or
with the device driver programming the hardware incorrectly. Please check
with your hardware device vendor for any driver updates.
I have checked for updates, but the the system indicates that I have the
current driver. I also tried disabling the driver and reloading. I have
also searched my driver directory for a 8 charactor sys file, per microsoft
article 894278 re. microsoftupdate 9trojean) rootkit spyware. I didn't find
any hidden drivers fo the type described.

I am running
Windows XP SP2,
AMD Athalon 3200+
WDC WD1600JB-00GVC0
LG Flatron L1910S

mcr

Distinguished
May 10, 2004

Mic wrote:
> I seem to have a problem I'm guessing with ATI graphics. I am randomly
> getting the following message -VPU Recover has reset your graphics
> accelerator as it was no longer responding to graphics driver commands. The
> display adaptor is Radeon 9550 and Radeon 9550 Secondary.
> These other problems may also be related
> This one is tied to a message that says that windows encountered a serious
> problem and had to restart:
> System error:
> Error code 000000ea, parameter1 81acb5f0, parameter2 819f42f0, parameter3
> 8219af28, parameter4 00000001.

Snipped

> I am running
> Windows XP SP2,
> AMD Athalon 3200+
> WDC WD1600JB-00GVC0
> LG Flatron L1910S

Hi Mic,
I myself just bought a Radeon 9800 (I usually buy nVidia) and I was
getting these problems too. What I did (and I thought I was being
clever) is I downloaded the driver from the Internet (5.7 IIRC) and
installed the device using that.

After keep getting these problems, I uninstalled the driver and
installed the one on my CD "Club Drivers Disk (for me)" and the machine
installed, then done a few updates via the Internet and the problem
ceased. Weird I know, I thought the drivers on the CD were older, but
whatever they were, they stopped the issues I was having.

Maybe you should try an older driver?

--
MCR
MAME(tm) - History In The Making

mic

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2004

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the driver, but has not made any
difference. I still get the same result
"MCR" <mark.coleman10@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Mic wrote:
>> I seem to have a problem I'm guessing with ATI graphics. I am randomly
>> getting the following message -VPU Recover has reset your graphics
>> accelerator as it was no longer responding to graphics driver commands.
>> The display adaptor is Radeon 9550 and Radeon 9550 Secondary.
>> These other problems may also be related
>> This one is tied to a message that says that windows encountered a
>> serious problem and had to restart:
>> System error:
>> Error code 000000ea, parameter1 81acb5f0, parameter2 819f42f0, parameter3
>> 8219af28, parameter4 00000001.
>>

> Snipped
>
>> I am running
>> Windows XP SP2,
>> AMD Athalon 3200+
>> WDC WD1600JB-00GVC0
>> LG Flatron L1910S
>
> Hi Mic,
> I myself just bought a Radeon 9800 (I usually buy nVidia) and I was
> getting these problems too. What I did (and I thought I was being clever)
> is I downloaded the driver from the Internet (5.7 IIRC) and installed the
> device using that.
>
> After keep getting these problems, I uninstalled the driver and installed
> the one on my CD "Club Drivers Disk (for me)" and the machine installed,
> then done a few updates via the Internet and the problem ceased. Weird I
> know, I thought the drivers on the CD were older, but whatever they were,
> they stopped the issues I was having.
>
> Maybe you should try an older driver?
>
> --
> MCR
> MAME(tm) - History In The Making
> Live! Gamertag MCROnline

dl

Are you saying you have two display cards installed?

"Mic" <crazREMOVEygriffin@sympatico.caNOSPAM> wrote in message
> I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the driver, but has not made any
> difference. I still get the same result
> "MCR" <mark.coleman10@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> > Mic wrote:
> >> I seem to have a problem I'm guessing with ATI graphics. I am randomly
> >> getting the following message -VPU Recover has reset your graphics
> >> accelerator as it was no longer responding to graphics driver commands.
> >> The display adaptor is Radeon 9550 and Radeon 9550 Secondary.
> >> These other problems may also be related
> >> This one is tied to a message that says that windows encountered a
> >> serious problem and had to restart:
> >> System error:
> >> Error code 000000ea, parameter1 81acb5f0, parameter2 819f42f0,
parameter3
> >> 8219af28, parameter4 00000001.
> >>

> > Snipped
> >
> >> I am running
> >> Windows XP SP2,
> >> AMD Athalon 3200+
> >> WDC WD1600JB-00GVC0
> >> LG Flatron L1910S
> >
> > Hi Mic,
> > I myself just bought a Radeon 9800 (I usually buy nVidia) and I was
> > getting these problems too. What I did (and I thought I was being
clever)
> > is I downloaded the driver from the Internet (5.7 IIRC) and installed
the
> > device using that.
> >
> > After keep getting these problems, I uninstalled the driver and
installed
> > the one on my CD "Club Drivers Disk (for me)" and the machine installed,
> > then done a few updates via the Internet and the problem ceased. Weird
> > know, I thought the drivers on the CD were older, but whatever they
were,
> > they stopped the issues I was having.
> >
> > Maybe you should try an older driver?
> >
> > --
> > MCR
> > MAME(tm) - History In The Making
> > Live! Gamertag MCROnline

jeff

No I only have one installed. No idea why it shows two. But in the display
portion of the Control Panel for setting display properties, two screens are
shown (one is shown as inactive)
"DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote in message
> Are you saying you have two display cards installed?
>
> "Mic" <crazREMOVEygriffin@sympatico.caNOSPAM> wrote in message
>> I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the driver, but has not made any
>> difference. I still get the same result
>> "MCR" <mark.coleman10@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> parameter3
>> >>

>> > Snipped

>> > Hi Mic,
>> > I myself just bought a Radeon 9800 (I usually buy nVidia) and I was
>> > getting these problems too. What I did (and I thought I was being
> clever)
>> > is I downloaded the driver from the Internet (5.7 IIRC) and installed
> the
>> > device using that.
>> >
>> > After keep getting these problems, I uninstalled the driver and
> installed
>> > the one on my CD "Club Drivers Disk (for me)" and the machine
>> > installed,
>> > then done a few updates via the Internet and the problem ceased. Weird
>> > know, I thought the drivers on the CD were older, but whatever they
> were,
>> > they stopped the issues I was having.
>> >
>> > Maybe you should try an older driver?
>> >
>> > --
>> > MCR
>> > MAME(tm) - History In The Making
>> > Live! Gamertag MCROnline

This is normal for a vidcard with DVI and VGA outputs. You
can run two monitors at once, and XP treats it as such.

Have any of your problems resulted in a blue screen, reboot, or
frozen machine?

If not, you can use Catalyst to turn OFF VPU recover with
no ill effects.

Also try turning off fast writes and bumping down your AGP
speed there as well.

"Jeff" <Jeffrey_Christine(remove)@REMOVEsympatico.ca> wrote in message
> No I only have one installed. No idea why it shows two. But in the
display
> portion of the Control Panel for setting display properties, two screens
are
> shown (one is shown as inactive)
> "DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote in message
> > Are you saying you have two display cards installed?
> >
> > "Mic" <crazREMOVEygriffin@sympatico.caNOSPAM> wrote in message
> >> I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the driver, but has not made any
> >> difference. I still get the same result
> >> "MCR" <mark.coleman10@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> > parameter3

> > clever)
> > the

> > installed
Weird
> > were,

dl

It shows two because XP can use multi monitors.
Though I'm a little perplexed when you refer to,
>> The display adaptor is Radeon 9550 and Radeon 9550 Secondary
It seems as though you may have enabled dual display mode, though you only
have 1 display
In Control Panel/System/hardware devices what is listed for display
adapters?
If it shows 2 adapters it means you have set up to run in dual display mode

I may be on shaky ground here, as I have a dual monitor capable card on a
win2k sys, but only a single capable one winxp sys

"Jeff" <Jeffrey_Christine(remove)@REMOVEsympatico.ca> wrote in message
> No I only have one installed. No idea why it shows two. But in the
display
> portion of the Control Panel for setting display properties, two screens
are
> shown (one is shown as inactive)
> "DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote in message
> > Are you saying you have two display cards installed?
> >
> > "Mic" <crazREMOVEygriffin@sympatico.caNOSPAM> wrote in message
> >> I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the driver, but has not made any
> >> difference. I still get the same result
> >> "MCR" <mark.coleman10@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> > parameter3

> > clever)
> > the

> > installed
Weird
> > were,

I am victim of same problem, I read smewhere that this is because of Windows
XP SP2, if you uninstall SP2, problem will go away. I haven't get a chance to
try this yet, but other than that I have tried almost everything.

"Mic" wrote:

> I seem to have a problem I'm guessing with ATI graphics. I am randomly
> getting the following message -VPU Recover has reset your graphics
> accelerator as it was no longer responding to graphics driver commands. The
> display adaptor is Radeon 9550 and Radeon 9550 Secondary.
> These other problems may also be related
> This one is tied to a message that says that windows encountered a serious
> problem and had to restart:
> System error:
> Error code 000000ea, parameter1 81acb5f0, parameter2 819f42f0, parameter3
> 8219af28, parameter4 00000001.
>
> And also
>
> The driver ati2dvag for the display device \Device\Video0 got stuck in an
> infinite loop. This usually indicates a problem with the device itself or
> with the device driver programming the hardware incorrectly. Please check
> with your hardware device vendor for any driver updates.
> I have checked for updates, but the the system indicates that I have the
> current driver. I also tried disabling the driver and reloading. I have
> also searched my driver directory for a 8 charactor sys file, per microsoft
> article 894278 re. microsoftupdate 9trojean) rootkit spyware. I didn't find
> any hidden drivers fo the type described.
>
> I am running
> Windows XP SP2,
> AMD Athalon 3200+
> WDC WD1600JB-00GVC0
> LG Flatron L1910S

mic

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2004

The error resulted in a blue or black screen and then recovered and
continued to go about its business as though nothing happened, apart from
posting the VPU recover message"VPU recover has reset your graphics
"V Green" <vanceg@nowhere.net> wrote in message
> This is normal for a vidcard with DVI and VGA outputs. You
> can run two monitors at once, and XP treats it as such.
>
> Have any of your problems resulted in a blue screen, reboot, or
> frozen machine?
>
> If not, you can use Catalyst to turn OFF VPU recover with
> no ill effects.
>
> Also try turning off fast writes and bumping down your AGP
> speed there as well.
>
> "Jeff" <Jeffrey_Christine(remove)@REMOVEsympatico.ca> wrote in message
>> No I only have one installed. No idea why it shows two. But in the
> display
>> portion of the Control Panel for setting display properties, two screens
> are
>> shown (one is shown as inactive)
>> "DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote in message
>> > Are you saying you have two display cards installed?
>> >
>> > "Mic" <crazREMOVEygriffin@sympatico.caNOSPAM> wrote in message
>> > parameter3

>> > clever)
>> > the

>> > installed
> Weird
>> > were,

mic

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2004

Just for additional clarification, it also just froze up and I had to
"reset" to restart. The system was not responding to any keyboard commands.
> The error resulted in a blue or black screen and then recovered and
> continued to go about its business as though nothing happened, apart from
> posting the VPU recover message"VPU recover has reset your graphics
> accelerator as it was no longer responding to graphics driver commands."
> "V Green" <vanceg@nowhere.net> wrote in message
>> This is normal for a vidcard with DVI and VGA outputs. You
>> can run two monitors at once, and XP treats it as such.
>>
>> Have any of your problems resulted in a blue screen, reboot, or
>> frozen machine?
>>
>> If not, you can use Catalyst to turn OFF VPU recover with
>> no ill effects.
>>
>> Also try turning off fast writes and bumping down your AGP
>> speed there as well.
>>
>> "Jeff" <Jeffrey_Christine(remove)@REMOVEsympatico.ca> wrote in message
>>> No I only have one installed. No idea why it shows two. But in the
>> display
>>> portion of the Control Panel for setting display properties, two screens
>> are
>>> shown (one is shown as inactive)
>>> "DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote in message

>> Weird

mic

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2004

Problem appears to be solved. The graphics card was replaced, as the
computer is still under warranty. Also ended up with a slightly better card
in the process.
> Just for additional clarification, it also just froze up and I had to
> "reset" to restart. The system was not responding to any keyboard
> commands.
> "Mic" <crazREMOVEygriffin@sympatico.caNOSPAM> wrote in message
>> The error resulted in a blue or black screen and then recovered and
>> continued to go about its business as though nothing happened, apart from
>> posting the VPU recover message"VPU recover has reset your graphics
>> accelerator as it was no longer responding to graphics driver commands."
>> "V Green" <vanceg@nowhere.net> wrote in message
>>> This is normal for a vidcard with DVI and VGA outputs. You
>>> can run two monitors at once, and XP treats it as such.
>>>
>>> Have any of your problems resulted in a blue screen, reboot, or
>>> frozen machine?
>>>
>>> If not, you can use Catalyst to turn OFF VPU recover with
>>> no ill effects.
>>>
>>> Also try turning off fast writes and bumping down your AGP
>>> speed there as well.
>>>
>>> "Jeff" <Jeffrey_Christine(remove)@REMOVEsympatico.ca> wrote in message
>>> display
>>> are

>>> Weird

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

zeamaze wrote:

> I am victim of same problem, I read smewhere that this is because of Windows
> XP SP2, if you uninstall SP2, problem will go away. I haven't get a chance to
> try this yet, but other than that I have tried almost everything.

The resolution in the OP's case was a bad graphics card, not SP2.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

I found the solution, this is because of the BIOS setup, Since I upgrade the
BIOS utility program I was having this graphic problem. I select the "load
optimized setup" from setup and I have no problem. i have tested all graphics.

"Rock" wrote:

> zeamaze wrote:
>
> > I am victim of same problem, I read smewhere that this is because of Windows
> > XP SP2, if you uninstall SP2, problem will go away. I haven't get a chance to
> > try this yet, but other than that I have tried almost everything.
> >

> The resolution in the OP's case was a bad graphics card, not SP2.
>
> --
> Rock
> MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

zeamaze wrote:

> I found the solution, this is because of the BIOS setup, Since I upgrade the
> BIOS utility program I was having this graphic problem. I select the "load
> optimized setup" from setup and I have no problem. i have tested all graphics.
>
> "Rock" wrote:
>

>>zeamaze wrote:
>>

>>>I am victim of same problem, I read smewhere that this is because of Windows
>>>XP SP2, if you uninstall SP2, problem will go away. I haven't get a chance to
>>>try this yet, but other than that I have tried almost everything.
>>>

>>The resolution in the OP's case was a bad graphics card, not SP2.
>>
>>--
>>Rock
>>MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Glad it's fixed and thanks for posting back your solution.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User