WINDOWS MESSENGER

I can not get windows messenger off my computer and it keeps popping up and
interferring with msn messenger. It is not in my add/remove programs and
every time i try deleting it from Program files it comes up with an error
message saying it is being used and can be seleted but it is not running...
Thank you

Best workaround:-
Open Task Manager and delete the process "msmsgs".
If there be more than one "msmsgs" process listed kill all of those.
Now go to C:\Program Files\Messenger
Make a folder with any name and cut and paste the file "msmsgs.exe" there.
Drag and drop won't work.
Now restart and there will be no Windows Messenger running in your computer.

To recover it, cut-paste the "msmsgr.exe" from that new folder you made to
C:\Program Files\Messenger i.e., the location where the new folder is.
Then restart and you should get Windows Messenger again.

--
Regards,
Pramit Roy

"Raeligh" wrote:

> I can not get windows messenger off my computer and it keeps popping up and
> interferring with msn messenger. It is not in my add/remove programs and
> every time i try deleting it from Program files it comes up with an error
> message saying it is being used and can be seleted but it is not running...
> Thank you

Just go her
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_m.htm
and scroll down to
"Messenger"
--
Regards,
Pramit Roy

"Pramit Roy" wrote:

> Best workaround:-
> Open Task Manager and delete the process "msmsgs".
> If there be more than one "msmsgs" process listed kill all of those.
> Now go to C:\Program Files\Messenger
> Make a folder with any name and cut and paste the file "msmsgs.exe" there.
> Drag and drop won't work.
> Now restart and there will be no Windows Messenger running in your computer.
>
> To recover it, cut-paste the "msmsgr.exe" from that new folder you made to
> C:\Program Files\Messenger i.e., the location where the new folder is.
> Then restart and you should get Windows Messenger again.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Pramit Roy
>

> "Raeligh" wrote:
>
> > I can not get windows messenger off my computer and it keeps popping up and
> > interferring with msn messenger. It is not in my add/remove programs and
> > every time i try deleting it from Program files it comes up with an error
> > message saying it is being used and can be seleted but it is not running...
> > Thank you

To disable "Windows Messenger":

Open "Windows Messenger" and from the Toolbar select
Tools > Options > Preferences and uncheck:

"Run this program when Windows starts" and
"Allow this program to run in the background", then
click OK.

Next, open Outlook Express and from the Toolbar select
Tools > Options and under the General tab uncheck
"Automatically log on to Windows Messenger" and click
APPLY.

Alternative:

Prevent Windows Messenger from automatically running
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_messenger_autorun.htm

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Raeligh" wrote:

| I can not get windows messenger off my computer and it keeps popping up and
| interferring with msn messenger. It is not in my add/remove programs and
| every time i try deleting it from Program files it comes up with an error
| message saying it is being used and can be seleted but it is not running...
| Thank you

mcr

Distinguished
May 10, 2004

Raeligh wrote:
> I can not get windows messenger off my computer and it keeps popping up and
> interferring with msn messenger. It is not in my add/remove programs and
> every time i try deleting it from Program files it comes up with an error
> message saying it is being used and can be seleted but it is not running...
> Thank you

click on start, then on run and type "msconfig" minus the quotes. Click
on the startup tab and untick messenger. You will get a warning about
selective startup next time you re-boot the machine, but you can select
to disable that too.

I believe that it's under windows components in the add/remove software
dialog box, I uninstalled mine too as I have msn messenger.

Hope this helps
--
MCR
MAME(tm) - History In The Making

Hi,

go to :

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_abc.htm ( click on M = Messenger ) and
see if there are any solutions that would help you.

Cheers,

Tom