Compaq 5005rs//stuck in safe mode/wont boot up

We installed an anti-virus software. We deleted the bad files. We rebooted.
At reboot we got 3 choices 1,2,3. one choice for step by step , one choice
for safe mode start up and one other choice. However we get errors problem
with register and memory cache. We attempt to put in boot recover disk, it
says to call compaq. We got the computer to semi put it stated "found
addtional hardware", select a driver from drive a: or it says browse. If u
click browse system will not read anything to add drivers. We dont have any
floppy disks for drive a:, i went to the compaq web site it says they sell
the recover cd for about 16.00 and change. I am sure there is no floppy with
this. Could this be a software or hard ware problem. We put the computer in
the shop about 6 months ago and spent 350.00 for a new hard drive. The
computer since then has never been able to or prior able to read the recover
disk. My brother in law works on computers said who ever did the repairs
"trashed our computer". Any suggestions ? Should we just order a new circuit
board and new hard drive our selves and try to fix it ? or should we look
for software disks for drive a: and drive C: etc.

Thanks.
Par768@aol.com

I think I would start by running complete diagnostics on the computer's
hardware. If the hardware is not 100% OK, then the software can do amazingly
bad things.

1. The HP web site MAY have diagnostics for this model of computer. If so,
download and run them.
2. MEMTEST-86 is a free memory tester that also exercises a lot of the processor
and motherboard circuitry.
3. The manufacturer of the hard drive (with few exceptions) provides hard drive
diagnostic software that will either certify the drive as 100% operational or
determine that it is not working right.

Important point: ALL of these diagnostics do not run under Windows. Why? If
the Windows software is screwed up, then any Windows-based diagnostic (e.g.
SCANDISK) provides unreliable results.

Once you are sure that the hardware is OK, proceed on to the software. Which
operating system is in use on the computer? Rather than relying on a Compaq
restore program, which in turn may rely on a copy of the operating system hidden
on the ORIGINAL hard drive (but not present on the replacement), you are better
off getting an off-the-shelf version of Windows with legit Certificate of
Authentication, and loading it onto the system. You may also need some
additional drivers for the computer, generally available from the HP web site.

My search of the HP web site turns up a Presario 5005sr (model sold through
Sears), but not a 5005rs. If the operating system is Windows ME, this is
arguably the worst operating system Microsoft ever delivered.

Finally, this is a 4-year-old computer. Look closely at how much money you are
willing to put into it. I've been selling comparable computers refurbed for
$150 including a legit copy of Windows 2000 (1000x more stable than Windows ME).
New computers can be had for around $400, if you watch the sale and promotional
offers... Ben Myers

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 02:01:49 -0700, "Jo Jo" <nospam@bs.comcom> wrote:

>We installed an anti-virus software. We deleted the bad files. We rebooted.
>At reboot we got 3 choices 1,2,3. one choice for step by step , one choice
>for safe mode start up and one other choice. However we get errors problem
>with register and memory cache. We attempt to put in boot recover disk, it
>says to call compaq. We got the computer to semi put it stated "found
>addtional hardware", select a driver from drive a: or it says browse. If u
>click browse system will not read anything to add drivers. We dont have any
>floppy disks for drive a:, i went to the compaq web site it says they sell
>the recover cd for about 16.00 and change. I am sure there is no floppy with
>this. Could this be a software or hard ware problem. We put the computer in
>the shop about 6 months ago and spent 350.00 for a new hard drive. The
>computer since then has never been able to or prior able to read the recover
>disk. My brother in law works on computers said who ever did the repairs
>"trashed our computer". Any suggestions ? Should we just order a new circuit
>board and new hard drive our selves and try to fix it ? or should we look
>for software disks for drive a: and drive C: etc.
>
>Thanks.
>Par768@aol.com

That sounds like the same computer i have, it is one from Sears. It is
running windows ME as well.

I will give it a go and see what happens. Thank you.

<42d3bbd3.573357@nntp.charter.net>...

TRENDING THREADS