Dimension8300 printer problem

Kate

The printer part of my EpsonCX6600 works just fine, but I cannot get
the scanner going. (Have connected to my son's laptop and all is well,
so the problem is not with the printer unit or software). Have been in
touch with Epson tech support by E-mail, have uninstalled\re-installed
numerous times, checked Device Manager which shows no problem, tried
several registry manipulations, all to no avail. Arcsoft Photo
Impression, the program that comes with the printer, also shows my old
scanner present, which may be the problem. I have searched in Explorer
and the registry, have deleted every possible mention of this and it's
still there. (I even re-installed and un-installed the old unit, with
no success). I'm hoping someone in this knowledgeable group might have
a suggestion as to where this "ghost" might be found. Can't think of
anything else to try and hate to think I'll have to do a format and
re-install of Windows. (Would this even be guaranteed to work)? I'm
running XP Pro, SP2.

Tearing my hair and hoping someone here has an answer,

Kate

Have you checked in device manager for the old
scanner? It may still be there.

"Kate" <catw34@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> The printer part of my EpsonCX6600 works just fine, but I cannot get
> the scanner going. (Have connected to my son's laptop and all is well,
> so the problem is not with the printer unit or software). Have been in
> touch with Epson tech support by E-mail, have uninstalled\re-installed
> numerous times, checked Device Manager which shows no problem, tried
> several registry manipulations, all to no avail. Arcsoft Photo
> Impression, the program that comes with the printer, also shows my old
> scanner present, which may be the problem. I have searched in Explorer
> and the registry, have deleted every possible mention of this and it's
> still there. (I even re-installed and un-installed the old unit, with
> no success). I'm hoping someone in this knowledgeable group might have
> a suggestion as to where this "ghost" might be found. Can't think of
> anything else to try and hate to think I'll have to do a format and
> re-install of Windows. (Would this even be guaranteed to work)? I'm
> running XP Pro, SP2.
>
> Tearing my hair and hoping someone here has an answer,
>
> Kate

Kate

Thanks, Tom and Pen. I have tried several different USB ports, and no,
the old scanner does not show up in Device Manager. "Tis a puzzlement.

Kate

I assume you're connecting it with USB? If so, try a different USB port.
This will force it to reinstall. Might work.

Tom
"Kate" <catw34@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> The printer part of my EpsonCX6600 works just fine, but I cannot get
> the scanner going. (Have connected to my son's laptop and all is well,
> so the problem is not with the printer unit or software). Have been in
> touch with Epson tech support by E-mail, have uninstalled\re-installed
> numerous times, checked Device Manager which shows no problem, tried
> several registry manipulations, all to no avail. Arcsoft Photo
> Impression, the program that comes with the printer, also shows my old
> scanner present, which may be the problem. I have searched in Explorer
> and the registry, have deleted every possible mention of this and it's
> still there. (I even re-installed and un-installed the old unit, with
> no success). I'm hoping someone in this knowledgeable group might have
> a suggestion as to where this "ghost" might be found. Can't think of
> anything else to try and hate to think I'll have to do a format and
> re-install of Windows. (Would this even be guaranteed to work)? I'm
> running XP Pro, SP2.
>
> Tearing my hair and hoping someone here has an answer,
>
> Kate

Old scanner shouldn't matter anyway. XP can handle multiple scanners,
connected or not. I have three, no wait, four I use on my machine.

Perhaps deleting the USB ports themselves and letting them rediscover? Doubt
if it will help.

Tom
> Thanks, Tom and Pen. I have tried several different USB ports, and no,
> the old scanner does not show up in Device Manager. "Tis a puzzlement.
>
> Kate

What makes you think because Impression still sees the old printer that
that is the problem. I would start looking at SP2...

"Kate" <catw34@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> The printer part of my EpsonCX6600 works just fine, but I cannot get
> the scanner going. (Have connected to my son's laptop and all is well,
> so the problem is not with the printer unit or software). Have been in
> touch with Epson tech support by E-mail, have uninstalled\re-installed
> numerous times, checked Device Manager which shows no problem, tried
> several registry manipulations, all to no avail. Arcsoft Photo
> Impression, the program that comes with the printer, also shows my old
> scanner present, which may be the problem. I have searched in Explorer
> and the registry, have deleted every possible mention of this and it's
> still there. (I even re-installed and un-installed the old unit, with
> no success). I'm hoping someone in this knowledgeable group might have
> a suggestion as to where this "ghost" might be found. Can't think of
> anything else to try and hate to think I'll have to do a format and
> re-install of Windows. (Would this even be guaranteed to work)? I'm
> running XP Pro, SP2.
>
> Tearing my hair and hoping someone here has an answer,
>
> Kate

Kate,
Since you mentioned that you have XP Pro SP2, did you do the upgrade, or reinstall recently? If yes, check the firewall settings in XP and make sure that you have File & Printing Sharing enabled under the Exceptions tab.
Control Panel> Security> Windows Firewall settings> Exception tab. If you are using third party firewall software, check the file and printer sharing settings in that program.

Also make sure that you have the latest Printer Drivers and Printer software patches installed on PC from Epson, there seems to be a lot of patches from late 2004 and early 2005 which might deal with SP2 issues.

Under Download & Drivers at:
http://www.epson.com

--

Rich/rerat

(RRR News) <message rule>

"e" <somew@there.com> wrote in message news:Rz8Ae.406787$cg1.354347@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
What makes you think because Impression still sees the old printer that
that is the problem. I would start looking at SP2...

"Kate" <catw34@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> The printer part of my EpsonCX6600 works just fine, but I cannot get
> the scanner going. (Have connected to my son's laptop and all is well,
> so the problem is not with the printer unit or software). Have been in
> touch with Epson tech support by E-mail, have uninstalled\re-installed
> numerous times, checked Device Manager which shows no problem, tried
> several registry manipulations, all to no avail. Arcsoft Photo
> Impression, the program that comes with the printer, also shows my old
> scanner present, which may be the problem. I have searched in Explorer
> and the registry, have deleted every possible mention of this and it's
> still there. (I even re-installed and un-installed the old unit, with
> no success). I'm hoping someone in this knowledgeable group might have
> a suggestion as to where this "ghost" might be found. Can't think of
> anything else to try and hate to think I'll have to do a format and
> re-install of Windows. (Would this even be guaranteed to work)? I'm
> running XP Pro, SP2.
>
> Tearing my hair and hoping someone here has an answer,
>
> Kate

"Kate" <catw34@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> The printer part of my EpsonCX6600 works just fine, but I cannot get
> the scanner going. (Have connected to my son's laptop and all is well,
> so the problem is not with the printer unit or software). Have been in
> touch with Epson tech support by E-mail, have uninstalled\re-installed
> numerous times, checked Device Manager which shows no problem, tried
> several registry manipulations, all to no avail. Arcsoft Photo
> Impression, the program that comes with the printer, also shows my old
> scanner present, which may be the problem. I have searched in Explorer
> and the registry, have deleted every possible mention of this and it's
> still there. (I even re-installed and un-installed the old unit, with
> no success). I'm hoping someone in this knowledgeable group might have
> a suggestion as to where this "ghost" might be found. Can't think of
> anything else to try and hate to think I'll have to do a format and
> re-install of Windows. (Would this even be guaranteed to work)? I'm
> running XP Pro, SP2.
>
> Tearing my hair and hoping someone here has an answer,

What happens when you attempt to scan?

Kate

Using Photo Impression and the Epson Smart Panel, I get "Epson Scan
cannot be started. Please use troubleshooting assistant....". Using
Paint (suggested by Epson) get "unable to retrieve image from scanner."
By the way, the scanner works without the computer, using the front
panel buttons, so for simple copying it's OK.

e, guess I'm just grasping at straws! <gr>

RRR, I'm running Sygate Firewall. One of the first things I tried was
disabling it. I also have the latest drivers and patches downloaded
from Epson.

If the printer were brand new, I'd return it to Best Buy here.
Unfortunately it was purchased around Christmas, we were gone for the
winter, and I'm just now getting around to trying the scanner part.

Thanks for all your suggestions. Do you think that a format and
re-install of Windows is likely to work? Really don't want to, as my
computer is running great otherwise.

Thanks again,

Kate

> Using Photo Impression and the Epson Smart Panel, I get "Epson Scan
> cannot be started. Please use troubleshooting assistant....". Using
> Paint (suggested by Epson) get "unable to retrieve image from scanner."
> By the way, the scanner works without the computer, using the front
> panel buttons, so for simple copying it's OK.
>
> e, guess I'm just grasping at straws! <gr>
>
> RRR, I'm running Sygate Firewall. One of the first things I tried was
> disabling it. I also have the latest drivers and patches downloaded
> from Epson.
>
> If the printer were brand new, I'd return it to Best Buy here.
> Unfortunately it was purchased around Christmas, we were gone for the
> winter, and I'm just now getting around to trying the scanner part.
>
> Thanks for all your suggestions. Do you think that a format and
> re-install of Windows is likely to work? Really don't want to, as my
> computer is running great otherwise.
>
> Thanks again,

I am not sure of your level of knowledge so I will offer some basics, if you
need more detail reply in the group.

1) Check your Services list and make sure that the 'Windows Imaging
Acquisition' service is started and set to automatic.

2) To see if not a TWAIN conflict you can drag everything but your Epson
folder and 'WIATwain.ds' out of the Twain32 folder on your system to the
desktop. If you are then able to scan, drag the items back one at a time
(trying to scan after each change). This will help narrow down which may be
conflicting.

3) If you are connected via a HUB try connecting direct to the PC. I have
seen many cases where even though an all-in-one unit will print, the scan
function fails unless connected direct to the PC's USB port. Also try a
different port.

Rich/rerat

(RRR News) <message rule>

"Kate" <catw34@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1121080215.607465.312510@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
[...]

Kath,
Since your Printer is USB2.0 compliant, you will need to make sure that your PC's USB connections are 2.0, not USB1.0/1.1. You can check by opening the PC's Device Manager and make sure that under USB Controllers. There should be an "Enhanced" USB host controller present, if your PC is USB2.0 compliant. If not, you can purchase a PCI card with USB2.0 connections that you can add to your PC. Your son's laptop may have them, that is why it works for his laptop, I remember you saying. If your PC is USB2.0, then make sure that when you connect the printer to the PC, you use the USB connections, on the back of machine, not the front ones, if PC is configured that way. Sometimes, the from USB connections are not powered as much as the rear ones.

Before considering to reinstall Windows XP, consider uninstalling all the Epson drivers and software. First you will need to disconnect the Printer from PC.

There should be an "Enhanced" USB host controller present, if your PC is USB2.0 compliant.

1. With the Printer on> On the Taskbar in the System tray section by the clock> Right click the Icon to Safely Remove Hardware. There should be listed there your Epson Printer> Click on it> Press Remove it> Then you can turn off the Printer and disconnect the USB cable from your PC. In XP, a USB controller is assigned to a USB connected device. So the device needs to be disconnected through the Safely Remove Hardware wizard. You cannot just pull the plug, and move it to a different USB connection. If you fail to use the wizard you may have start up problems.

2. Remove drivers and Software for your Epson Printer. Go to: http://www.epson.com
Select the region you live in. Be it the US> Then under Drivers & Support go to the CX6600 page> FAQS Page> Click the Answer for #2 having to do with software problems. Following the instructions about removing programs through Add/Remove through the Control Panel. Following the instructions about removing software and Printer Scan. Then following instruction about reinstalling software and drivers, after doing the steps below first. I would save the *.PDF file to your PC, if you don't have the printer manual available.

3. Once you remove the drivers/software through Add/Remove in the Control Panel> Make sure that you delete from the C:\ drive, all folders relating to the Epson Printer and its Software. I know that duplicate folders can be created during the reinstallation of Printer software. Causing problems searching for files when the program/printer is run. Had this problem with my Lexmark All-in-One Printer.

--

[...]

But the machine is likely backwards compatible. I've never heard of a
printer or scanner that wouldn't run on USB1.1 even if it support USB2.
"RRR_News" <nospam@isp.com> wrote in message
[...]

Tom,
I am thinking that the Printer function may be able to work on a USB1.0/1.1 connection, but that the scanning function may need USB2.0. The DIM 8300 should have come with USB2.0, especially after the XP SP2 install, that is why I suggested that she check that she has an "Enhanced USB Controller", in the device manager.

I am thinking that the Scan drivers/software installation is corrupted and that she should reinstall them.

"Sometimes, the FROM USB connections are not powered as much as the rear ones."
Should have been written:
Sometimes, the FRONT USB connections are not powered as much as the rear ones.

--

Rich/rerat

(RRR News) <message rule>

"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message news:6jAAe.229214$w15.37586@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
[...]

Gentlemen, many thanks for all your time and trouble. My USB ports are
all 2.0. (Tried installing on my older laptop with 1.0, it informed me
that printer would be better with 2.0, but started to install. Install
failed with "RPC Server not available.") I had already followed the
procedures you suggested, except for the process with the Twain32
folder. Interestingly enough, 2 Epson folders, escndv and escndv(2)
were there (no Epson folder per se) along with A4s2 and A4s2_32.
Without the last folder, my old printer no longer shows up. With both
escndv and escndv(2) the Cx6600 shows up twiceand only one with one of
them removed. (I had previously sent the contents of the Twain32 folder
to Epson, but received no comment from them). However I manipulated
them, still the same result, scanner doesn't work.

Again thanks very much.

Kate

> Gentlemen, many thanks for all your time and trouble. My USB ports are
> all 2.0. (Tried installing on my older laptop with 1.0, it informed me
> that printer would be better with 2.0, but started to install. Install
> failed with "RPC Server not available.") I had already followed the
> procedures you suggested, except for the process with the Twain32
> folder. Interestingly enough, 2 Epson folders, escndv and escndv(2)
> were there (no Epson folder per se) along with A4s2 and A4s2_32.
> Without the last folder, my old printer no longer shows up. With both
> escndv and escndv(2) the Cx6600 shows up twiceand only one with one of
> them removed. (I had previously sent the contents of the Twain32 folder
> to Epson, but received no comment from them). However I manipulated
> them, still the same result, scanner doesn't work.
>
> Again thanks very much.
>
> Kate

It wouldn't be the first time that sub-standard All-in-one software caused
this sort of problem. I had an HP 4 in 1 unit with incredibly bloated
software that contained errors on the provided CD and major headaches when
the newest version of the software (over 400mb) was downloaded from the HP
site.

System minimum specs. proved wrong and I had to move that person up to a
faster (and more expensive) system just to get the d!mned thing to work
properly.

IMO, you're having to work entirely too hard for this printer and install.
It smacks (from this distance) of an Epson hw/sw problem......

You could verify the 8300 USB function by trying another USB printer,
preferably an HP if you have a choice...

Stew