XP Pro SP1 reboots when I choose user at bootup

August 7, 2005 4:20:59 PM

Hi,
A few days ago I had been running fine all morning and when I did Start ->
Turn Off Computer -> Restart, it seemed to boot up normally, until I got to
the point of choosing a user name to log in as. The screen immediately goes
blank and the computer reboots. On reboot, ChkDsk finds problems and fixes
them. The same happens no matter which user name I pick. Instead of
choosing a user name, if I choose turn off computer, the shutdown completes
and ChkDsk does not run during the next reboot, but the startup fails as
before.

Booting from the WXP installation CD gets me to a screen that allows system
recovery to the last known good system. Doing so runs into a problem - I
get a 'sorry' message that the recovered system cannot boot up.

I am able to get to the command prompt of recovery console.

On booting from another hard drive, I have done a thorough McAfee viruscan
of the hard drive with the problem. McAfee finds no problems.

Any suggestions on what may have cause the problem and how to recover? I'm
holding on to that hard drive, hoping for some good suggestions.

-Thanks,

-Paul Randall
August 7, 2005 4:21:00 PM

Paul Randall wrote:
> Hi,
> A few days ago I had been running fine all morning and when I did Start ->
> Turn Off Computer -> Restart, it seemed to boot up normally, until I got to
> the point of choosing a user name to log in as. The screen immediately goes
> blank and the computer reboots. On reboot, ChkDsk finds problems and fixes
> them. The same happens no matter which user name I pick. Instead of
> choosing a user name, if I choose turn off computer, the shutdown completes
> and ChkDsk does not run during the next reboot, but the startup fails as
> before.
>
> Booting from the WXP installation CD gets me to a screen that allows system
> recovery to the last known good system. Doing so runs into a problem - I
> get a 'sorry' message that the recovered system cannot boot up.
>
> I am able to get to the command prompt of recovery console.
>
> On booting from another hard drive, I have done a thorough McAfee viruscan
> of the hard drive with the problem. McAfee finds no problems.
>
> Any suggestions on what may have cause the problem and how to recover? I'm
> holding on to that hard drive, hoping for some good suggestions.
>
> -Thanks,
>
> -Paul Randall

Download a drive diagnostic utility from the drive manufacturer's web
site. This will create a bootable floppy or CD. Boot with that and run
the diagnostic to check the condition of the drive.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User