Dell Dimension 8400 boot problems, A/B diagnostic lights y..

Have a fairly new Dell 8400 (5xx series) with 3ghz chip and 1.5 gb of
memory. When I first got the machine it had 512mb of memory and failed
to boot and had AB diag LED lights as yellow. Took to CompUSA who put
in different memory and it worked quite well.
Then I added more memory (same clock speed 533 I think) that Dell
replaced and was unable to boot, got 6 beeps, no POST, and fan running
at super speed. I have all the latest BIOS and other updates.
Eventually after screwing with memory and slots - it booted fine. Go
figure.

Swapped out CPU and put in 3.6 CPU. All went well. A month later, I get
the beeps again. Took out some memory and it boots fine. Take out
memory (same) and reseat it and get beeps.

I think this is a motherboard problem.

Any ideas?

I will have a new MOBO and memory from Dell in 2 weeks but wonder if
others have had this damn unable to boot problem?????

Thanks,
Patty

Thanks I think it is the mobo and the slots. The memory in the Dell
when placed in another machine (DDR2 as well) works wonderfully with no
problems at at all. I have tried 3 sets (pair) of DDR2 RAM in the Dell
slots and all seemed bad when I had the 2 other slots full. But
sometimes they worked. It is so strange and erratic.
Dell will be replacing MOBO and memory.
Thanks, Patty

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

<pattyjamas@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Have a fairly new Dell 8400 (5xx series) with 3ghz chip and 1.5 gb of
> memory. When I first got the machine it had 512mb of memory and failed
> to boot and had AB diag LED lights as yellow. Took to CompUSA who put
> in different memory and it worked quite well.
> Then I added more memory (same clock speed 533 I think) that Dell
> replaced and was unable to boot, got 6 beeps, no POST, and fan running
> at super speed. I have all the latest BIOS and other updates.
> Eventually after screwing with memory and slots - it booted fine. Go
> figure.
>
> Swapped out CPU and put in 3.6 CPU. All went well. A month later, I get
> the beeps again. Took out some memory and it boots fine. Take out
> memory (same) and reseat it and get beeps.
>
> I think this is a motherboard problem.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> I will have a new MOBO and memory from Dell in 2 weeks but wonder if
> others have had this damn unable to boot problem?????
>
> Thanks,
> Patty

Hi Patty,

Same happened to me and India techs and I found it to be bad memory.
We thought it a bad CPU also but found after changing memory three times it
worked great since (6 months or so).
Have a 3.4 CPU two gigs ram 533.

good luck
Tony