Bacpup using Norton Ghost 9.0

I am aware that this is probably not the appropriate place to post these
questions but I am unable to locate a forum dedicated to using Norton Ghost.

I have 2 new HP computers, both with XP Media Center Edition

I've heard that Norton Ghost is a good alternative to using the native
Windows backup utility so I purchased a copy. Now I have a few questions
regarding its use that I can't seem to find answers to.

I have read posts here that mention a backup "ghost image" of the hard
drive that can be booted to in the event of a catastrophic system failure
that restores the system to the exact state it was in at the time the backup
was made. What option in Norton Ghost do I use to create such a backup? I
have two choices; Back up drive and Copy drive. The help for the Copy Drive
option seems geared to swapping one hard drive with an exact replica on
another hard drive. I am not sure that this is the option I need as it
involves re-setting jumper pins and slave/master relationships between the
drives.

I am backing up to an external USB hard drive (160gb HP personal media
drive) that slides into the front of my computer(s) that is divided into
three partitions, all formatted as primary, NTFS Basic volumes (K:-80gb,
L:-40gb and M:-40gb). K: is reserved for data storage and L: and M: are
reserved for the backups of my two computers. How do I format L:&M: so that
I can boot to either one in the event of a hard drive failure on either
machine? Is this necessary or is the Back Up Drive option sufficient to
restore either system to their original state? How can I test a backup image
file without actually performing a backup?

Sorry for the long-winded post and appy-polly-loggies if I am posting
off-topic. Any input would be appreciated. If anyone knows of a site that
covers these type of questions or a forum that is more appropriate please
let me know.
Regards,
--
Mark N.

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

M8RIX wrote:

> I am aware that this is probably not the appropriate place to post these
> questions but I am unable to locate a forum dedicated to using Norton Ghost.
>
> I have 2 new HP computers, both with XP Media Center Edition
>
> I've heard that Norton Ghost is a good alternative to using the native
> Windows backup utility so I purchased a copy. Now I have a few questions
> regarding its use that I can't seem to find answers to.
>
> I have read posts here that mention a backup "ghost image" of the hard
> drive that can be booted to in the event of a catastrophic system failure
> that restores the system to the exact state it was in at the time the backup
> was made. What option in Norton Ghost do I use to create such a backup? I
> have two choices; Back up drive and Copy drive. The help for the Copy Drive
> option seems geared to swapping one hard drive with an exact replica on
> another hard drive. I am not sure that this is the option I need as it
> involves re-setting jumper pins and slave/master relationships between the
> drives.
>
> I am backing up to an external USB hard drive (160gb HP personal media
> drive) that slides into the front of my computer(s) that is divided into
> three partitions, all formatted as primary, NTFS Basic volumes (K:-80gb,
> L:-40gb and M:-40gb). K: is reserved for data storage and L: and M: are
> reserved for the backups of my two computers. How do I format L:&M: so that
> I can boot to either one in the event of a hard drive failure on either
> machine? Is this necessary or is the Back Up Drive option sufficient to
> restore either system to their original state? How can I test a backup image
> file without actually performing a backup?
>
> Sorry for the long-winded post and appy-polly-loggies if I am posting
> off-topic. Any input would be appreciated. If anyone knows of a site that
> covers these type of questions or a forum that is more appropriate please
> let me know.
> Regards,
> --
> Mark N.

Do a google groups search of this newsgroup. There have been numerous
posts about using ghost9.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User