Sign in with
Your question

WHy won't my MOBO support Tbred if its socket A

Last response: in CPUs
February 13, 2003 11:29:58 AM

I have a SOYO Dragon MOBO that says it supports up to a 1700xp Palomino. Why wouldn't it run (apart from official support)a Tbred. Aren't they using nearly the same core voltages?

Let's all settle our political differences with a LAN.
February 13, 2003 11:53:25 AM

it may work with a bios upgrade. Just because its a socket A mobo doesnt mean it will run all the chips. iirmc some amd xps will only run with a 333 fsb now. see if there is an upgrade for the bios and try it if u already have the cpu.
February 13, 2003 2:31:40 PM

According to <A HREF="http://users.erols.com/chare/elec.htm" target="_new">this chart</A> a Palomino XP 1700+ requires 1.75 volt core while a Tbred 1700+ runs at 1.5 volt. Other Tbreds range up to 1.65 volt.

If your motherboard supports the lower voltages it may work.

Often manufacturers only list CPUs that have actually been tested as being supported. It doesn't mean other CPUs don't work necessarily but may mean they have not yet been tested or they have been tested but had issues. In the latter case, you'd want to track down the details on the issues to find out if they are minor.

For example, Abit KT7A motherboards didn't have Athlon XP Palominos listed as supported because some boards would freeze on POST. Most users found that if they pressed reset after the freeze the system would boot and run without problems.

A CPU/motherboard combination working only most of the time would not be a good enough reason for the manufacturer to support the combination. However, a customer might find the issues small enough to warrant trying the combination.

As another example, owners of Abit KT7 mobos (even older than KT7A) are finding that XP 2100+ Tbreds work even though these boards officially only support 100 Mhz (200 Mhz DDR) CPUs. You've got to play with multiplier settings in BIOS after your initial POST but it works.

Ask around and see if others have tried the CPUs that you are considering in your particular motherboard.

By the way, which model motherboard do you have?

<b>99% is great, unless you are talking about system stability</b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by phsstpok on 02/13/03 11:44 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
Related resources
February 14, 2003 5:53:18 AM

Interesting, so is it possible to run Tbreds 333FSB at slower frecuency? I was asking myself this a lot of times.

I have an Epox 8KHA+ that can only run at 266 (officially). My plan was to buy in the future a Barton, overclock the bus a little bit and rise the multiplier. But I was afraid of other "incompatibilities", I don't know, from internal codes, added/upgraded core functions, etc. If in fact only FSB is changed from Palomino to Tbred/Barton, it should work, isn't it?

Still looking for a <b>good online retailer</b> in Spain :frown:
February 14, 2003 11:28:00 AM

Thanks for the info....I have the lastest bios, and it allows me to adjust the voltage from stock (1.75V) up to +- .15 volts. That would put me into the 1.65 Volt area...perfect for Tbred B's. Say what you want about AMD...they may have misfired a couple of times recently, but the longevity of the upgrade path is really nice. I've had the the same socket processor through 3 upgrades now. BTW my motherboard is the K7V. THe original Dragon motherboard with the KT 266 chipset.

Let's all settle our political differences with a LAN.
February 14, 2003 1:44:54 PM

[Oops, I combined replies by accident]

[for Buldurga]

I don't see why it wouldn't work. I don't know if the Tbreds working on KT133 is by design or accident, though. Those boards only run 100 Mhz FSB. You'd think that logically if they don't interpret the new 5th multiplier then the you'd just get 5x-12.5x. However, it's not working that way. The multipliers are being remapped and so far 15x, 16x, 16.5x, 17x, 18x, 19x, 20x, 22.5x, 23x, and 24x have been found. There are probably more. I've only read about people who have installed the Tbred 2100+ and 2400+ in KT133 mobos. Don't know if others work. The problem would be if the mulitplier gets remapped to something that just won't POST.

I'm putting a XP1700+ in a KT133A board which shouldn't be a problem since it does support 133Mhz FSB but I'd be limited to 12.5 X 133 or 1666 Mhz if I don't overclock the bus/AGP/PCI. To go higher I'll have to mod the chip and see if I can find a remapped mulitplier that works. I've heard of some getting past 2.2 Ghz with a XP 1700+ Tbred B so I might try the mod. On the other hand, I might just overclock the bus (which I already do with a Tbird) to 150 Mhz and run 12.5 * 150 or 1875 Mhz which is still a substantial overclock over 1467.

[for Grub]

By the way, when I first saw "K7V" I was wondering how you managed so many upgrades. LOL! I forgot about the SOYO board. Abit had a board also called the K7V. It was a Slot A motherboard.

<b>99% is great, unless you are talking about system stability</b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by phsstpok on 02/14/03 10:49 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
!