Tech help: Weak flipper on Gottlieb 1974 EM

Hi guys
Actually, I'm so pleased to be able to ask for tech help, because that means
my Gottlieb 1974 EM is functioning for the first time after a one year
restoration (I work very very slowly ... cabinet repaint, clearcoated PF,
etc!)
So ... there are heaps of quirky problems that I won't bore the group with
(yet) ... will try to figure them out myself first (lights on, that
shouldn't be on; points being awarded that shouldn't be awarded, etc etc)
BUT ... the one that I just can't seem to fix is the weak left flipper. At
best it will get the balll about half way up the playfield - not strong
enough to drop a target!
I've read Clays guide, and have a Henk de Jager's pinball repair and
maintainance book and have tried the following:
new EOS switch
adjusted the EOS switch
replaced coil with nice new coil
adjusted spring (not too tight)
swapped coil stop (with the flipper that works well)
.... no luck.
Any help would be much appreciated.
I'm not too worried about the other faults as I can take my time fixing them
and learning about fixing them (hell, you can see I'm patient ... it took me
a year to get this far), but the weak flipper is annoying because I can't
really play the game properly!
As a small aside ... even with the faulty flipper I just love this machine
.... the kids love the machine. After a year of tinkering (and having bits of
it all over the house) I can't believe it actually works (never mind the
small 'glitches'). When I heard the free game knocking sound for the first
time (since about 1975) ... priceless.
Cheers
manny

Buy a complete flipper rebuild kit from Steve Young and install every part
he gives you in the bag.
It also includes the plunger and link which probably is worn on your
flippers. I have started using these on my games and retro fitting them on
ones all ready done and it makes all the difference in the world.

Also you want to either file the flipper switches and or replace them. Steve
has them also.

Rick

"Dr Manny" <aston61@bigpond.com> wrote in message
> Hi guys
> Actually, I'm so pleased to be able to ask for tech help, because that
> means my Gottlieb 1974 EM is functioning for the first time after a one
> year restoration (I work very very slowly ... cabinet repaint, clearcoated
> PF, etc!)
> So ... there are heaps of quirky problems that I won't bore the group with
> (yet) ... will try to figure them out myself first (lights on, that
> shouldn't be on; points being awarded that shouldn't be awarded, etc etc)
> BUT ... the one that I just can't seem to fix is the weak left flipper. At
> best it will get the balll about half way up the playfield - not strong
> enough to drop a target!
> I've read Clays guide, and have a Henk de Jager's pinball repair and
> maintainance book and have tried the following:
> new EOS switch
> adjusted the EOS switch
> replaced coil with nice new coil
> adjusted spring (not too tight)
> swapped coil stop (with the flipper that works well)
> ... no luck.
> Any help would be much appreciated.
> I'm not too worried about the other faults as I can take my time fixing
> them and learning about fixing them (hell, you can see I'm patient ... it
> took me a year to get this far), but the weak flipper is annoying because
> I can't really play the game properly!
> As a small aside ... even with the faulty flipper I just love this machine
> ... the kids love the machine. After a year of tinkering (and having bits
> of it all over the house) I can't believe it actually works (never mind
> the small 'glitches'). When I heard the free game knocking sound for the
> first time (since about 1975) ... priceless.
> Cheers
> manny

If youre SURE the eos is adjusted properly try the other coil , new
stuff is sometimes defective , best luck.

Thank you very much for your speedy replies!!
I've managed to fix it.
Dansebat was right ... there's adjusting, and then there's *adjusting*!!
Man, I've been fiddling with this thing for days. I moved the switch blade
an eeny weeny bit and it fixed it! Talk about sensitive! It's just a miracle
that a machine full of so many of these switches and relays actually works!
Rick, I'll also follow your advice and buy a full flippper re-build kit for
both flippers. I think that might be useful to have on hand.
Many thanks again.
manny
Now on to the other temperamental teething problems.