dell order 9100 power supply

ferg

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2002

Just ordered new 9100 system from dell uk,good price for specs ,P4 3.0 630
cpu.1024 ram, 256 geforce 6800 card, 2 x 160 gig hard drives and 17 inch lcd
monitor, just over £800 with free delivery,now the power supply provided by
dell is 375 watts on 9100 model and im wondering if this will be good enough
for this system detailed above,no option on dell site to upgrade power
supply,can anyone confirm if power supply will be adequate for job, also im
presuming 6800 pci-xpress card is dells own basic model of this chipset but
would like to know more precise specs of this card,which after many times
searching dell website i cannot find,i tried phoning dell but sales guy
could not give me any more info on graphics card,on specs it mentions 2 hard
drives are set up in a raid configuration?
im presuming this is a good thing as i have no idea what a raid system is!

ferg

Ideally i wanted athlon 64 system for gaming but prices for delivery to
n.ireland average £70-£100 for a system so free delivery from dell was a big
factor

remove nospam to reply

That's about $1200 US dollars? Ok, not a great deal, but not outrageous.
You don't mention any optical drives. The raid setup may be a little
overkill for you. If you don't know what it is, why do you think you need
it? You could have saved some money and spent it on a 19" LCD monitor.
Trust me, once you sit in front of a 19" LCD, you'll want one.

The power supply is only adequate, but sufficient for the system as it is
now configured. But, if you start adding drives or other hardware, you
would need more power.

Look at these sites for coupons that could have got you a huge savings on
your new Dell:

www.slickdeals.net

www.techbargains.com

www.couponmountain.com

I configured a 4700 with a gig of RAM, 2.8 P4, DVD, CD-RW, SoundBlaster
sound card, 128 MB ATI Video (PCI Express), 80 G hard drive, no monitor, no
speakers, no keyboard/mouse for $1090 US. I paid $614 US for it, with free
delivery.

"ferg" <winzip51nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Just ordered new 9100 system from dell uk,good price for specs ,P4 3.0 630
> cpu.1024 ram, 256 geforce 6800 card, 2 x 160 gig hard drives and 17 inch
lcd
> monitor, just over £800 with free delivery,now the power supply provided
by
> dell is 375 watts on 9100 model and im wondering if this will be good
enough
> for this system detailed above,no option on dell site to upgrade power
> supply,can anyone confirm if power supply will be adequate for job, also
im
> presuming 6800 pci-xpress card is dells own basic model of this chipset
but
> would like to know more precise specs of this card,which after many times
> searching dell website i cannot find,i tried phoning dell but sales guy
> could not give me any more info on graphics card,on specs it mentions 2
hard
> drives are set up in a raid configuration?
> im presuming this is a good thing as i have no idea what a raid system is!
>
> ferg
>
> Ideally i wanted athlon 64 system for gaming but prices for delivery to
> n.ireland average £70-£100 for a system so free delivery from dell was a
big
> factor
>
> remove nospam to reply

> Just ordered new 9100 system from dell uk,good price for specs ,P4 3.0 630
cpu.1024 ram, 256 geforce 6800 card, 2 x 160 gig hard drives and 17 inch
lcd monitor, just over £800 with free delivery,now the power supply provided
by dell is 375 watts on 9100 model and im wondering if this will be good
enough for this system detailed above,no option on dell site to upgrade
power
supply,can anyone confirm if power supply will be adequate for job, also
im presuming 6800 pci-xpress card is dells own basic model of this chipset
but would like to know more precise specs of this card,which after many
times
searching dell website i cannot find,i tried phoning dell but sales guy
could not give me any more info on graphics card,on specs it mentions 2
hard drives are set up in a raid configuration?
im presuming this is a good thing as i have no idea what a raid system is!
Ideally i wanted athlon 64 system for gaming but prices for delivery to
n.ireland average £70-£100 for a system so free delivery from dell was a
big factor

Freg:

I recently ordered a 9100 also.
It is interesting that we both selected the 630 CPU and not the dual core
units. I wonder how many users will do the same.

I would not worry about the power supply, as Dell is normally conservative
about their ps selections. Note that PC Power & Cooling makes ps that will
fit into Dell boxes.

I disagree. Dell underrates their power supplies, so it will be find even
with additional drives. Most vendors, including power supply vendors
publish peak power. Dell uses average, so it's easily a 475 watt power
supply.

Tom
"Kevin" <webman6@hot4mail.com> wrote in message
> That's about $1200 US dollars? Ok, not a great deal, but not outrageous.
> You don't mention any optical drives. The raid setup may be a little
> overkill for you. If you don't know what it is, why do you think you need
> it? You could have saved some money and spent it on a 19" LCD monitor.
> Trust me, once you sit in front of a 19" LCD, you'll want one.
>
> The power supply is only adequate, but sufficient for the system as it is
> now configured. But, if you start adding drives or other hardware, you
> would need more power.
>
> Look at these sites for coupons that could have got you a huge savings on
> your new Dell:
>
> www.slickdeals.net
>
> www.techbargains.com
>
> www.couponmountain.com
>
> I configured a 4700 with a gig of RAM, 2.8 P4, DVD, CD-RW, SoundBlaster
> sound card, 128 MB ATI Video (PCI Express), 80 G hard drive, no monitor,
> no
> speakers, no keyboard/mouse for $1090 US. I paid $614 US for it, with
> free
> delivery.
>

> "ferg" <winzip51nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Just ordered new 9100 system from dell uk,good price for specs ,P4 3.0
>> 630
>> cpu.1024 ram, 256 geforce 6800 card, 2 x 160 gig hard drives and 17 inch
> lcd
>> monitor, just over £800 with free delivery,now the power supply provided
> by
>> dell is 375 watts on 9100 model and im wondering if this will be good
> enough
>> for this system detailed above,no option on dell site to upgrade power
>> supply,can anyone confirm if power supply will be adequate for job, also
> im
>> presuming 6800 pci-xpress card is dells own basic model of this chipset
> but
>> would like to know more precise specs of this card,which after many times
>> searching dell website i cannot find,i tried phoning dell but sales guy
>> could not give me any more info on graphics card,on specs it mentions 2
> hard
>> drives are set up in a raid configuration?
>> im presuming this is a good thing as i have no idea what a raid system
>> is!
>>
>> ferg
>>
>> Ideally i wanted athlon 64 system for gaming but prices for delivery to
>> n.ireland average £70-£100 for a system so free delivery from dell was a
> big
>> factor
>>
>> remove nospam to reply
>>
>> --

ferg

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2002

> That's about $1200 US dollars? Ok, not a great deal, but not outrageous.
> You don't mention any optical drives. The raid setup may be a little
> overkill for you. If you don't know what it is, why do you think you need
> it? You could have saved some money and spent it on a 19" LCD monitor.
> Trust me, once you sit in front of a 19" LCD, you'll want one.
>
> > apologies comes with 16 x dvd rewriter and second dvd drive,there was no
> > option to de-select hard drive option!only to increase capacity
i would have been happy with single 160gb hard drive(ordered from
small biz section),i wanted to upgrade monitor afterwards but they say i
have to cancel order and re-submit,only snag is system now another £60
($100)dearer and time is running out to cancel this system and get a 19
lcd,may still do, did you go for dvi 19 inch ultra monitor? always thought
DVI was a marketing ploy

ferg

remove nospam to reply

I purchased my Samsung SyncMaster 910T LCD monitor from NewEgg.com. A
better unit than the Dell and a lot cheaper. No, the Digital Video
Interface is not a marketing ploy. There is a difference between the two
connections. My Samsung monitor is spectacular using the DVI output of my
ATI video card. The monitor also has a standard VGA connector.

>> That's about $1200 US dollars? Ok, not a great deal, but not outrageous.
>> You don't mention any optical drives. The raid setup may be a little
>> overkill for you. If you don't know what it is, why do you think you
>> need
>> it? You could have saved some money and spent it on a 19" LCD monitor.
>> Trust me, once you sit in front of a 19" LCD, you'll want one.
>>
>> > apologies comes with 16 x dvd rewriter and second dvd drive,there was
>> > no option to de-select hard drive option!only to increase capacity
> i would have been happy with single 160gb hard drive(ordered from
> small biz section),i wanted to upgrade monitor afterwards but they say i
> have to cancel order and re-submit,only snag is system now another £60
> ($100)dearer and time is running out to cancel this system and get a 19
> lcd,may still do, did you go for dvi 19 inch ultra monitor? always thought
> DVI was a marketing ploy
>

> ferg
>
> remove nospam to reply

As others have noted, Dell is pretty good about putting adequate power into
their PCs, so you probably won't have any issues there. It's surprising you
ended up with a RAID system, considering that's usually ordered to address a
particular need: "RAID 0" for enhanced performance in dealing with very
large files (such as video files) or "RAID 1" (mirroring) for enhanced
protection against disk failures. If you didn't have one of those needs,
then the RAID array probably wasn't the best way to spend money. I'd agree
with the person who said you might get more utility from a larger monitor.
Although if your particular interest is in graphics or games, it's possible
you'd be happier with a CRT rather than an LCD. (The graphics card will
drive two monitors at the same time, so you can have both an LCD and a CRT
if you want.)

"ferg" <winzip51nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Just ordered new 9100 system from dell uk,good price for specs ,P4 3.0 630
> cpu.1024 ram, 256 geforce 6800 card, 2 x 160 gig hard drives and 17 inch
> lcd monitor, just over £800 with free delivery,now the power supply
> provided by dell is 375 watts on 9100 model and im wondering if this will
> be good enough for this system detailed above,no option on dell site to
> upgrade power supply,can anyone confirm if power supply will be adequate
> for job, also im presuming 6800 pci-xpress card is dells own basic model
> of this chipset but would like to know more precise specs of this
> card,which after many times searching dell website i cannot find,i tried
> phoning dell but sales guy could not give me any more info on graphics
> card,on specs it mentions 2 hard drives are set up in a raid
> configuration?
> im presuming this is a good thing as i have no idea what a raid system is!

ferg

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2002

> I'd agree
> with the person who said you might get more utility from a larger monitor.
> Although if your particular interest is in graphics or games, it's
> possible you'd be happier with a CRT rather than an LCD. (The graphics
> card will drive two monitors at the same time, so you can have both an LCD
> and a CRT if you want.)

> ok i have now cancelled my order with dell via email,i checked order
> status and it had showed delivery date of 6th august
due to waiting for parts, i have decided to take some advice and get new
system with 19 inch dvi model,one thing i now notice on dimension 9100
system
is a free upgrade to faster memory 1024MB PC-4200 Dual Channel DDR2 533MHz
[2x512] ,the standard offering is usually 1024mb PC-3200 Dual Channel DDR2
400MHZ (2x512) .justchecking here
in case any reason not to go for faster memory,(not a highlighted offer)
probably not but want to make sure,thanks again for all the advice

ferg

remove nospam to reply

Go for the faster RAM as a free upgrade is always a good deal. Did you
check out those sites I included links to? You can get some great discounts
and save hundreds of dollars!

> > I'd agree
> > with the person who said you might get more utility from a larger
monitor.
> > Although if your particular interest is in graphics or games, it's
> > possible you'd be happier with a CRT rather than an LCD. (The graphics
> > card will drive two monitors at the same time, so you can have both an
LCD
> > and a CRT if you want.)

> > ok i have now cancelled my order with dell via email,i checked order
> > status and it had showed delivery date of 6th august
> due to waiting for parts, i have decided to take some advice and get new
> system with 19 inch dvi model,one thing i now notice on dimension 9100
> system
> is a free upgrade to faster memory 1024MB PC-4200 Dual Channel DDR2 533MHz
> [2x512] ,the standard offering is usually 1024mb PC-3200 Dual Channel DDR2
> 400MHZ (2x512) .justchecking here
> in case any reason not to go for faster memory,(not a highlighted offer)
> probably not but want to make sure,thanks again for all the advice
>

> ferg
>

> remove nospam to reply

Currently in the USA, the Dim5100 is sold with 400 MHz memory and the
Dim9100 is sold with 533 MHz memory. They give you a choice in the UK? I
think the difference in price between 400 and 533 is small (so this "free
upgrade" isn't a big deal in terms of money), but certainly the faster
memory is desirable, considering that memory can be a bottleneck. BTW, in
the USA if you want additional memory for the other slots, it's less
expensive to purchase it from Crucial rather than Dell. But a gigabyte is
probably enough for your purposes. It's easy to add more memory later.

"ferg" <winzip51nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> ok i have now cancelled my order with dell via email,i checked order
>> status and it had showed delivery date of 6th august
> due to waiting for parts, i have decided to take some advice and get new
> system with 19 inch dvi model,one thing i now notice on dimension 9100
> system
> is a free upgrade to faster memory 1024MB PC-4200 Dual Channel DDR2 533MHz
> [2x512] ,the standard offering is usually 1024mb PC-3200 Dual Channel DDR2
> 400MHZ (2x512) .justchecking here
> in case any reason not to go for faster memory,(not a highlighted offer)
> probably not but want to make sure,thanks again for all the advice
>

> ferg

"ferg" <winzip51nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> i would have been happy with single 160gb hard drive(ordered from
> small biz section),i wanted to upgrade monitor afterwards but they say i
> have to cancel order and re-submit,only snag is system now another £60
> ($100)dearer and time is running out to cancel this system and get a 19
> lcd,may still do, did you go for dvi 19 inch ultra monitor? always thought
> DVI was a marketing ploy

Kevin is right about DVI being a preferable when connecting to an LCD. The
VGA is an analog standard, so the pixel array must be converted to analog in
transmission to the display, which then digitizes it again because an LCD is
a pixel array. So there's room for small errors in the image to creep in;
that's the nature of an analog signal. DVI is digital from start to finish,
so the image on the screen is exactly what is drawn in the internals of the
video card. It's not like VGA is terrible; the picture may be nice enough
that you won't even notice any difference. But if you're setting up and have
a choice, you should do it right, and that means DVI. VGA was designed for
CRTs, which are fundamentally analog displays, unlike LCDs which are
fundamentally digital displays.