Scott

Having just downloaded and installed XP SP3, my Office shortcut bar now
doesn't show the 'Word', 'Excel' etc. icons. Instead there are now just
speech bubbles with question marks in them. The icons on the 'Accessories'
bar are OK. It's just the Office shortcut bar that's been affected.

I have tried refreshing the icons but it hasn't helped.

How can I restore the Office icons on the shortcut bar?

Hi,

Seeing as there is no such thing as SP3 for WindowsXP, you'll have to be
more specific about what you downloaded and where you got it from. In the
meantime, you might try inserting your Office CD and run a repair
installation.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Scott" <Scott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Having just downloaded and installed XP SP3, my Office shortcut bar now
> doesn't show the 'Word', 'Excel' etc. icons. Instead there are now just
> speech bubbles with question marks in them. The icons on the 'Accessories'
> bar are OK. It's just the Office shortcut bar that's been affected.
>
> I have tried refreshing the icons but it hasn't helped.
>
> How can I restore the Office icons on the shortcut bar?

Scott

Apologies . It's the Office XP SP3. It was downloaded from the MS updates
site and through the Auto Updater.

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Seeing as there is no such thing as SP3 for WindowsXP, you'll have to be
> more specific about what you downloaded and where you got it from. In the
> meantime, you might try inserting your Office CD and run a repair
> installation.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Scott" <Scott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Having just downloaded and installed XP SP3, my Office shortcut bar now
> > doesn't show the 'Word', 'Excel' etc. icons. Instead there are now just
> > speech bubbles with question marks in them. The icons on the 'Accessories'
> > bar are OK. It's just the Office shortcut bar that's been affected.
> >
> > I have tried refreshing the icons but it hasn't helped.
> >
> > How can I restore the Office icons on the shortcut bar?

=?Utf-8?B?U2NvdHQ=?= commented thusly:

> Apologies . It's the Office XP SP3. It was downloaded from
> the MS updates site and through the Auto Updater.

I assume you set a Restore Point prior to the update or the M$
updater did it for you? In either case, just roll it back. Or,
use Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs to un-install the patch.

What was in Office SP3 that you needed/wanted? I'm still running
the original version of MS Office 97 with no service packs
installed. Yeah, I'm a Luddite, but I'm not a power user and
firmly believe in not trying to fix things that aren't broken.

Probably the single biggest reason for something going bump in
the night that I read on Usenet or hear from friends starts
something like this "I updated XXX and now YYY no longer works,
what should I do?".

This is one reason why I don't let /any/ software auto update on
my machine. And, I investigate all the so-called M$ hot fixes,
critical updates, and security patches to see if there's any
collateral damage occuring anywhere.

Anyway, the best of luck in getting your taskbar back.

bytor

In article <#02h034mFHA.3544@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>, rick@mvps.org, Rick
"Nutcase" Rogers says...

> Hi,
>
> Seeing as there is no such thing as SP3 for WindowsXP, you'll have to be
> more specific about what you downloaded and where you got it from. In the
> meantime, you might try inserting your Office CD and run a repair
> installation.

I would be safe to say it is SP3 for "Office XP"

Scott

Yes, it's the Office XP SP3 I downloaded.

"ByTor" wrote:

> In article <#02h034mFHA.3544@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>, rick@mvps.org, Rick
> "Nutcase" Rogers says...
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Seeing as there is no such thing as SP3 for WindowsXP, you'll have to be
> > more specific about what you downloaded and where you got it from. In the
> > meantime, you might try inserting your Office CD and run a repair
> > installation.
> >

> I would be safe to say it is SP3 for "Office XP"

Hey, All Things Mopar,

Any patches or service packs ARE fixing something in the program. A huge one
is security - you better be careful with what patches you aren't downloading
or you'll end up with some security problems.

Greg Ro wrote:

> The question should be what problem are you having with sp3?

Correction:

"...what problem are you having with MS Office SP3?"

There is no WinXP SP3

On Sun, 7 Aug 2005 15:24:02 -0700, Landyn
<Landyn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hey, All Things Mopar,
>
>Any patches or service packs ARE fixing something in the program. A huge one
>is security - you better be careful with what patches you aren't downloading
>or you'll end up with some security problems.

That was not his original question. His have problems with sp3, he
want to uninstall it.

The question should be what problem are you having with sp3?

Greg Ro

Glen

Its been some time since i ran office xp but i remember the problem. I fixed
it by right clicking each icon and i think clicking properties, this would
take me to a window where I could choose the icon. I then browsed to the
relevant application and selected the icon. If this isn't exactly correct it
should be enough for you to look at the menu after right clicking and making
a educated guess as to how the correct the problem.

Glen

"ByTor" <ByTor@snowdog.com> wrote in message
> In article <#02h034mFHA.3544@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>, rick@mvps.org, Rick
> "Nutcase" Rogers says...
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Seeing as there is no such thing as SP3 for WindowsXP, you'll have to be
>> more specific about what you downloaded and where you got it from. In the
>> meantime, you might try inserting your Office CD and run a repair
>> installation.
>>

> I would be safe to say it is SP3 for "Office XP"

Scott

Glen,

Tried all that but, because the shortcut bar appears to only link to the
main applications, the "Find Target" option is greyed out. I seem to have
fixed it though. I had to click on the shortcut icons TWICE. The first
doesn't work but the second does. This seems to make the shortcut bar
recognise the icons in the 'Customize' dialogue box. I then had to uncheck
the applications and then check them again. It seems to have worked - but for
how long???

"Glen" wrote:

> Its been some time since i ran office xp but i remember the problem. I fixed
> it by right clicking each icon and i think clicking properties, this would
> take me to a window where I could choose the icon. I then browsed to the
> relevant application and selected the icon. If this isn't exactly correct it
> should be enough for you to look at the menu after right clicking and making
> a educated guess as to how the correct the problem.
>
> Glen
>

> "ByTor" <ByTor@snowdog.com> wrote in message
> > In article <#02h034mFHA.3544@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>, rick@mvps.org, Rick
> > "Nutcase" Rogers says...
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Seeing as there is no such thing as SP3 for WindowsXP, you'll have to be
> >> more specific about what you downloaded and where you got it from. In the
> >> meantime, you might try inserting your Office CD and run a repair
> >> installation.
> >>

> > I would be safe to say it is SP3 for "Office XP"

Glen

The office shortcut bars shortcuts are actually stored in a folder but I
can't remember where its stored. You will have to search for it. I remember
when I used office xp that i would delete the shortcuts from the folder and
either reselect them via the shortcut bar or use the browse feature of the
bar to browse to the location of the stored shortcuts and select them. I
cant remember if I used this to fix broken icons but it is another piece of
information to help fix it when things go wrong.

Glen