Any got a better deal?

Last response: in Computer Brands
April 10, 2004 8:27:24 AM

I need a box for my 7 year old. Right now he shares a puter with his sister
and sometimes it doesn't work out. He has on occasion pushed buttons to cause
bad things to happen. I already have a monitor and speakers, he won't need to
connect to the internet on this machine ( I supervise the internet on my
machine with him) and he won't need to hook up to the home network. Dell has a
2400 with no modem, net card or floppy for 339.00 on the small business site.
Free shipping, free upgrade to a CDRW and free upgrade to 256 meg of ram.
Without going used, is there a better deal??
Thanks........................................DUG

More about : deal

Anonymous
April 10, 2004 8:42:59 AM

"VintageDUG67" <vintagedug67@aol.com> wrote in message
> I need a box for my 7 year old. Right now he shares a puter with his
sister
> and sometimes it doesn't work out. He has on occasion pushed buttons to
cause
> bad things to happen. I already have a monitor and speakers, he won't
need to
> connect to the internet on this machine ( I supervise the internet on my
> machine with him) and he won't need to hook up to the home network. Dell
has a
> 2400 with no modem, net card or floppy for 339.00 on the small business
site.
> Free shipping, free upgrade to a CDRW and free upgrade to 256 meg of ram.
> Without going used, is there a better deal??
> Thanks........................................DUG

I can't think of any EXCEPT......

If you ever want that system to have the eventual option to run serious 3D
games (even 3D kids games), then you might want to consider looking at one
of the Dim4600 refurbs. The 4600 has an AGP slot.

Other than that I think you chose a real winning system for that $$.
Anonymous
April 10, 2004 12:05:45 PM

I don't know if there is a better deal, but there is certainly nothing wrong
with this deal. $399 for a brand new Dell, delivered to you door. What's not
to like about that??

HTH

Al

BTW My 4+ year old Dell Dimension is very happily chugging along and doing
everything I want it to do. Will my next computer be a Dell? absolutely!!!

"VintageDUG67" <vintagedug67@aol.com> wrote in message
>I need a box for my 7 year old. Right now he shares a puter with his
>sister
> and sometimes it doesn't work out. He has on occasion pushed buttons to
> cause
> bad things to happen. I already have a monitor and speakers, he won't
> need to
> connect to the internet on this machine ( I supervise the internet on my
> machine with him) and he won't need to hook up to the home network. Dell
> has a
> 2400 with no modem, net card or floppy for 339.00 on the small business
> site.
> Free shipping, free upgrade to a CDRW and free upgrade to 256 meg of ram.
> Without going used, is there a better deal??
> Thanks........................................DUG
April 10, 2004 12:13:17 PM

VintageDUG67 wrote:
> I need a box for my 7 year old. Right now he shares a puter with his sister
> and sometimes it doesn't work out. He has on occasion pushed buttons to cause
> bad things to happen. I already have a monitor and speakers, he won't need to
> connect to the internet on this machine ( I supervise the internet on my
> machine with him) and he won't need to hook up to the home network. Dell has a
> 2400 with no modem, net card or floppy for 339.00 on the small business site.
> Free shipping, free upgrade to a CDRW and free upgrade to 256 meg of ram.
> Without going used, is there a better deal??
> Thanks........................................DUG

The deal is good, and the system will have a network connector. However
I can't see rewarding him for not being able to share and "pushing
buttons to cause bad things to happen". Once he learns the social
skills, then give him a computer!
Anonymous
April 10, 2004 7:04:24 PM

vintagedug67@aol.com (VintageDUG67) wrote:

>I need a box for my 7 year old. Right now he shares a puter with his sister
>and sometimes it doesn't work out.

What a delightfully understated way of describing what I suspect
is out-and-out warfare using every weapon available short of WMD.
;->

Can't disagree with anything the others have said. You seem to
have found an ideal way to produce peace in our time - at least
for a while. [Oldest of three boys. The longest a truce lasted
amongst any combination of the three of us was about four
months.]
--
OJ III
[Email sent to Yahoo addy is burned before reading.

When I was 7 years old, a computer cost millions of dollars and didn't come
to close to the computing power of the 2400.

Rocky

"Tom Almy" <tomalmy@aracnet.com> wrote in message
> VintageDUG67 wrote:
> > I need a box for my 7 year old. Right now he shares a puter with his
sister
> > and sometimes it doesn't work out. He has on occasion pushed buttons to
cause
> > bad things to happen. I already have a monitor and speakers, he won't
need to
> > connect to the internet on this machine ( I supervise the internet on my
> > machine with him) and he won't need to hook up to the home network.
Dell has a
> > 2400 with no modem, net card or floppy for 339.00 on the small business
site.
> > Free shipping, free upgrade to a CDRW and free upgrade to 256 meg of
ram.
> > Without going used, is there a better deal??
> > Thanks........................................DUG
>
> The deal is good, and the system will have a network connector. However
> I can't see rewarding him for not being able to share and "pushing
> buttons to cause bad things to happen". Once he learns the social
> skills, then give him a computer!

Anonymous
April 11, 2004 2:31:46 AM

"Ogden Johnson III" <oj3usmc@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> vintagedug67@aol.com (VintageDUG67) wrote:
>
> >I need a box for my 7 year old. Right now he shares a puter with his
sister
> >and sometimes it doesn't work out.
>
> What a delightfully understated way of describing what I suspect
> is out-and-out warfare using every weapon available short of WMD.
> ;->
>
> Can't disagree with anything the others have said. You seem to
> have found an ideal way to produce peace in our time - at least
> for a while. [Oldest of three boys. The longest a truce lasted
> amongst any combination of the three of us was about four
> months.]

Three is a disasterous number when it comes to siblings.

As the oldest, I was at the youngest throat nearly every day. There was a
day where he had provoked me to the point where he ran up to the garage roof
to escape and pulled the ladder up with him. My middle brother remembers me
swinging a long dog chain trying to hook him and yank him down.

It's amazing that kids, particularly in my family, don't die more often.
!