New Twilight Zone Owner - Need Advice Please!!

You guys were great in helping me solve the reset error. I had a new
circuit installed in my house and no resets since! However, I have had
a few issues pop up with my week old TZ pin. They are as follows:

1)The ball keeps getting stuck in (or should I say above) the ball
lock. Ball does not go all the way into the hole so the game can't
locate the ball and I have to manually push it into the lock or remove
the ball and start the game over. This happens once ever 4-5 games
2) When the ball drains, the game doesn't recognize it until I hit both
flippers. Again, doesn't happen every time, but does it maybe once per
game. Doesn't effect game play yet, but i would assume this will only
get worse.
3) Today, shots to the slot machine are not recognized. Ejects after
the search for ball procedure kicks in. When ball drains through other
places such as Piano, there is a 5-6 second delay before ejecting from
the slot machine. Much longer than before.
4) Upper flipper hangs occasionally. Maybe 10 seconds before snapping
back.

I purchased this machine from a dealer about 100 miles from me and I am
disappointed to say the least, as I have only had the game a week. I
searched long and hard for a nice TZ. This one has no wear on the
playfield and the cabinet is in very good shape with zero fade. I
thought I was getting a very good TZ, but am now starting to wonder. I
will admit that I was able to play many games at the shop prior to
paying, and it exhibited none of these problems.

I guess my choices are as follows:
1)I can haul it back to have them repair (100 miles which includes
getting it back out of my basement which is not easy)
2) Take it back and getting my money back, and continue my search
3) Hire someone local (Charlotte) to fix it, but (already have slightly
over $3K in it
4) Attempt to fix it my self but I have no pinball repair experience.

What would you do and how serious are these problems???

Your problems are easy. If you are unfamiliar with them, check out Mr.
Pinball's Collector register for people in your area who may be able to help
you
http://www.xmission.com/~daina­/pinball.html . 1- look it over and figure
out why the ball isn't going in or what it is hanging on. 2- check your ball
trough switches in switch edge test, the outhole and trough switches, one or
more may need adjusting or have a broken wire. 3- again a switch adjustment
or broken wire. 4- plunger may be worn and hanging up in sleeve or causing
the pawl to hang on the EOS points., time to rebuild the flipper, new coil
sleeve, new plunger, new coil stop .

I'd get some help and start enjoying the game you wanted. LTG :)

"jhwilsonsc" <jhwilsonsc@gmail.com> wrote in message
> You guys were great in helping me solve the reset error. I had a new
> circuit installed in my house and no resets since! However, I have had
> a few issues pop up with my week old TZ pin. They are as follows:
>
> 1)The ball keeps getting stuck in (or should I say above) the ball
> lock. Ball does not go all the way into the hole so the game can't
> locate the ball and I have to manually push it into the lock or remove
> the ball and start the game over. This happens once ever 4-5 games
> 2) When the ball drains, the game doesn't recognize it until I hit both
> flippers. Again, doesn't happen every time, but does it maybe once per
> game. Doesn't effect game play yet, but i would assume this will only
> get worse.
> 3) Today, shots to the slot machine are not recognized. Ejects after
> the search for ball procedure kicks in. When ball drains through other
> places such as Piano, there is a 5-6 second delay before ejecting from
> the slot machine. Much longer than before.
> 4) Upper flipper hangs occasionally. Maybe 10 seconds before snapping
> back.
>
> I purchased this machine from a dealer about 100 miles from me and I am
> disappointed to say the least, as I have only had the game a week. I
> searched long and hard for a nice TZ. This one has no wear on the
> playfield and the cabinet is in very good shape with zero fade. I
> thought I was getting a very good TZ, but am now starting to wonder. I
> will admit that I was able to play many games at the shop prior to
> paying, and it exhibited none of these problems.
>
> I guess my choices are as follows:
> 1)I can haul it back to have them repair (100 miles which includes
> getting it back out of my basement which is not easy)
> 2) Take it back and getting my money back, and continue my search
> 3) Hire someone local (Charlotte) to fix it, but (already have slightly
> over $3K in it
> 4) Attempt to fix it my self but I have no pinball repair experience.
>
> What would you do and how serious are these problems???

if you're going to own pins, you better get comfortable repairing minor
issues like this cause they have minor issues until RGP collectors get
their hands on them.

sounds like you have some switches that need tweaked and possible
flipper bushings or coil sleeves replaced. you could probably fix all
those problems for under $15 and an hours time.

just go into test mode/switch edge test and manually activate all the
switches in the problem areas. either the swithc is bad [doubtful] or
just needs bent/tweaked so it registers with a ball.

I'm sure others will more to say.
Dan

jhwilsonsc wrote:
> [...]

> disappointed to say the least, as I have only had the game a week. I
> searched long and hard for a nice TZ. This one has no wear on the
> playfield and the cabinet is in very good shape with zero fade. I
> thought I was getting a very good TZ, but am now starting to wonder. I
> will admit that I was able to play many games at the shop prior to
> paying, and it exhibited none of these problems.
>
> I guess my choices are as follows:
> 1)I can haul it back to have them repair (100 miles which includes
> getting it back out of my basement which is not easy)
> 2) Take it back and getting my money back, and continue my search
> 3) Hire someone local (Charlotte) to fix it, but (already have slightly
> over $3K in it
> 4) Attempt to fix it my self but I have no pinball repair experience.
>
> What would you do and how serious are these problems???

The first is a typical TZ problem and you just have to adjust the ball
guides in the lock area to get it to work. This just takes some fidling
around.

The next two are just some switch problems. You need to first make sure the
switches work, then make sure they work when a ball is dropped down in the
sccop or ball trough.

The last one is you need to probably rebuild all you flippers as they
probably never have been rebuilt. Replace coil sleeves and makes sure you
have about 1/16" up/down play on the bat.

All sound like typical EASY fixes you can do yourself in about an hour. If
you get another TZ, chances are it might exhibit even more problems.
Welcome to the world of pinball ownership...REPAIRS!

--
Mike S.
Kalamazoo, MI

Gameroom: http://tinyurl.com/4hfev
W C S Owner's List: http://tinyurl.com/39cjo
M B Scoop Repair: http://tinyurl.com/9lfu

otto

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2001

Go with #4.

All easy problems as everyone has said.

Step back from it and relax.

Google the lock kick out.

http://www.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en

Learn how to adjust/check/repair switches. Go into switch edges test, pull
out the manual and go to the switch matrix in inside the rear cover, and
learn. Notice the display on the dmd is the same as the matrix in the
manual. Play around with it. Learn it. Find the slot switch and play with
it. Check the wires on the switch. Activate by hand and then with the ball.
Adjust. Repair as necessary.

Learn how to rebuild flippers.

http://marvin3m.com/wpc/index3.htm#flip

You can do a lot for the flipper strength by simply replacing the coil
sleeves and cleaning up the plunger and resoldering the lugs if any of the
wires look poorly connected. Finish by adjusting the eos switch so that it
closes right at the end of the flipper travel. Check for no mechanical
binding.

Settle in with Marvin and turn you head into a sponge.

http://marvin3m.com/wpc/index.htm

Lots of good stuff

Take each problem by itself, one at a time.

It will be well worth your effort as you solve each problem.

Otto

CARGPB11

"jhwilsonsc" <jhwilsonsc@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I guess my choices are as follows:
> 1)I can haul it back to have them repair (100 miles which includes
> getting it back out of my basement which is not easy)
> 2) Take it back and getting my money back, and continue my search
> 3) Hire someone local (Charlotte) to fix it, but (already have slightly
> over $3K in it
> 4) Attempt to fix it my self but I have no pinball repair experience.
>
> What would you do and how serious are these problems???

Start learning to fix it. If you stay in pins long, this is the only
way to go. The stuff you're talking about is nothing too daunting, so
jump in.

There's already been some good advice on troubleshooting. Try them,
and if you're still lost, post again with the problems that are left.
Also, USE GOOGLE GROUPS. Chances are, your question has already been
asked an answered in the past. No waiting for help in that case.

On 18 Jun 2005 13:54:38 -0700, "jhwilsonsc" <jhwilsonsc@gmail.com>
wrote:

>You guys were great in helping me solve the reset error. I had a new
>circuit installed in my house and no resets since! However, I have had
>a few issues pop up with my week old TZ pin. They are as follows:
>
>1)The ball keeps getting stuck in (or should I say above) the ball
>lock. Ball does not go all the way into the hole so the game can't
>locate the ball and I have to manually push it into the lock or remove
>the ball and start the game over. This happens once ever 4-5 games
>2) When the ball drains, the game doesn't recognize it until I hit both
>flippers. Again, doesn't happen every time, but does it maybe once per
>game. Doesn't effect game play yet, but i would assume this will only
>get worse.
>3) Today, shots to the slot machine are not recognized. Ejects after
>the search for ball procedure kicks in. When ball drains through other
>places such as Piano, there is a 5-6 second delay before ejecting from
>the slot machine. Much longer than before.
>4) Upper flipper hangs occasionally. Maybe 10 seconds before snapping
>back.
>
>I purchased this machine from a dealer about 100 miles from me and I am
>disappointed to say the least, as I have only had the game a week. I
>searched long and hard for a nice TZ. This one has no wear on the
>playfield and the cabinet is in very good shape with zero fade. I
>thought I was getting a very good TZ, but am now starting to wonder. I
>will admit that I was able to play many games at the shop prior to
>paying, and it exhibited none of these problems.
>
>I guess my choices are as follows:
>1)I can haul it back to have them repair (100 miles which includes
>getting it back out of my basement which is not easy)
>2) Take it back and getting my money back, and continue my search
>3) Hire someone local (Charlotte) to fix it, but (already have slightly
>over $3K in it
>4) Attempt to fix it my self but I have no pinball repair experience.
>
>What would you do and how serious are these problems???

I say, if the playfield is in good condition, most everything else can be
fixed (fixing things is half the fun anyhow). You picked a great game, I've
had a TZ for years and I would never sell it. -Riles

"jhwilsonsc" <jhwilsonsc@gmail.com> wrote in message
> You guys were great in helping me solve the reset error. I had a new
> circuit installed in my house and no resets since! However, I have had
> a few issues pop up with my week old TZ pin. They are as follows:
>
> 1)The ball keeps getting stuck in (or should I say above) the ball
> lock. Ball does not go all the way into the hole so the game can't
> locate the ball and I have to manually push it into the lock or remove
> the ball and start the game over. This happens once ever 4-5 games
> 2) When the ball drains, the game doesn't recognize it until I hit both
> flippers. Again, doesn't happen every time, but does it maybe once per
> game. Doesn't effect game play yet, but i would assume this will only
> get worse.
> 3) Today, shots to the slot machine are not recognized. Ejects after
> the search for ball procedure kicks in. When ball drains through other
> places such as Piano, there is a 5-6 second delay before ejecting from
> the slot machine. Much longer than before.
> 4) Upper flipper hangs occasionally. Maybe 10 seconds before snapping
> back.
>
> I purchased this machine from a dealer about 100 miles from me and I am
> disappointed to say the least, as I have only had the game a week. I
> searched long and hard for a nice TZ. This one has no wear on the
> playfield and the cabinet is in very good shape with zero fade. I
> thought I was getting a very good TZ, but am now starting to wonder. I
> will admit that I was able to play many games at the shop prior to
> paying, and it exhibited none of these problems.
>
> I guess my choices are as follows:
> 1)I can haul it back to have them repair (100 miles which includes
> getting it back out of my basement which is not easy)
> 2) Take it back and getting my money back, and continue my search
> 3) Hire someone local (Charlotte) to fix it, but (already have slightly
> over $3K in it
> 4) Attempt to fix it my self but I have no pinball repair experience.
>
> What would you do and how serious are these problems???

TRENDING THREADS