Need suggestions for cheapie notebook

I currently have a Dell Dim 2400 system in my basement. It works great and
satisfies my needs (internet surfing via broadband, wp, spreadsheet, etc. --
I also play online poker).

I would like to get a notebook computer to have upstairs. I want it wireless
so that I can get a router and basically have it use my basement connection.

I would also like to take it along on an occasional vacation, but mostly it
will be in the house just for convenience so that I have computer access
upstairs. I would like to do it as cheaply as possible. I would hope to use
XP HOME, too.

Any suggestions?

Mel

David

Dell and others (HP, Toshiba, Compaq) regularly have
notebooks in the $500 (after rebate usually) range with built in
wireless
that should meet your needs. Just look at sites
like techbargains.com and dealcatcher.com to keep up with the latest
sales.
Dave

David:

Any specific models??

I'm thinking of looking at EBAY, too.

Mel

In article <a61ze.46640$Tt.26551@bignews3.bellsouth.net>,
S.Lewis <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote:
>Don't expect much of any warranty, workmanship, or outstanding performance
>at this price:
>
>http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/inspn_1200?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd

Something else to consider is that there are a bunch of refurbished
Thinkpad T21's selling in the $500-600 range. I've been seeing these
floating around for close to a year. Here's one for $474:

http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?page=proframe&prod_id=1168469

There are a lot of compromises (800MHz P3, Windows 2000), but these
are high quality machines. They even come with the same 90 day warranty
as the Dell 1200 mentioned above.

-Mike
--
http://www.mschaef.com

"MSCHAEF.COM" <mschaef@eris.io.com> wrote in message
> In article <a61ze.46640$Tt.26551@bignews3.bellsouth.net>,
> S.Lewis <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote:
>>Don't expect much of any warranty, workmanship, or outstanding performance
>>at this price:
>>
>>http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/inspn_1200?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd
>
> Something else to consider is that there are a bunch of refurbished
> Thinkpad T21's selling in the $500-600 range. I've been seeing these
> floating around for close to a year. Here's one for $474:
>
> http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?page=proframe&prod_id=1168469
>
> There are a lot of compromises (800MHz P3, Windows 2000), but these
> are high quality machines. They even come with the same 90 day warranty
> as the Dell 1200 mentioned above.
>
> -Mike
> --
> http://www.mschaef.com

That's a good point.

And, too, there are off-lease Dell Latitudes (C-series) PIII, PentiumM
models with factory warranty remaining being sold by Dell Financial Services
on ebay everyday.

I've bought (6) of them for other people, and each system had gold tech
support and next day warranty that could be extended......

Again, in the $400+ range.

Stew

"MSCHAEF.COM" <mschaef@eris.io.com> wrote in message
> In article <a61ze.46640$Tt.26551@bignews3.bellsouth.net>,
> S.Lewis <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote:
>>Don't expect much of any warranty, workmanship, or outstanding performance
>>at this price:
>>
>>http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/inspn_1200?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd
>
> Something else to consider is that there are a bunch of refurbished
> Thinkpad T21's selling in the $500-600 range. I've been seeing these
> floating around for close to a year. Here's one for $474:
>
> http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?page=proframe&prod_id=1168469
>
> There are a lot of compromises (800MHz P3, Windows 2000), but these
> are high quality machines. They even come with the same 90 day warranty
> as the Dell 1200 mentioned above.
>
> -Mike
> --
> http://www.mschaef.com

Except that a full year warranty for the Dell Inspiron 1200 is only $19.

> "MSCHAEF.COM" <mschaef@eris.io.com> wrote in message
>> In article <a61ze.46640$Tt.26551@bignews3.bellsouth.net>,
>> S.Lewis <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote:
>>>Don't expect much of any warranty, workmanship, or outstanding
>>>performance
>>>at this price:
>>>
>>>http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/inspn_1200?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd
>>
>> Something else to consider is that there are a bunch of refurbished
>> Thinkpad T21's selling in the $500-600 range. I've been seeing these
>> floating around for close to a year. Here's one for $474:
>>
>> http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?page=proframe&prod_id=1168469
>>
>> There are a lot of compromises (800MHz P3, Windows 2000), but these
>> are high quality machines. They even come with the same 90 day warranty
>> as the Dell 1200 mentioned above.
>>
>> -Mike
>> --
>> http://www.mschaef.com
>
> Except that a full year warranty for the Dell Inspiron 1200 is only $19.

Tom,

Yeah, but is that 1 year mail-in?

Stew

"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote:
>>>http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/inspn_1200?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd

>Except that a full year warranty for the Dell Inspiron 1200 is only $19.

How do you figure that? I'm seeing $39 plus the mail-in rebate you
would have gotten...

"S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com> wrote in message

>> "MSCHAEF.COM" <mschaef@eris.io.com> wrote in message

>>> Something else to consider is that there are a bunch of refurbished
>>> Thinkpad T21's selling in the $500-600 range. I've been seeing these
>>> floating around for close to a year. Here's one for $474:
>>>
>>> http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?page=proframe&prod_id=1168469
>>>
>>> There are a lot of compromises (800MHz P3, Windows 2000), but these
>>> are high quality machines. They even come with the same 90 day warranty
>>> as the Dell 1200 mentioned above.
>>>
>>> -Mike
>>> --
>>> http://www.mschaef.com
>>
>> Except that a full year warranty for the Dell Inspiron 1200 is only $19.
>>

> Tom,
>
> Yeah, but is that 1 year mail-in?
>

> Stew

Mail in. At home is $59.

> "S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "MSCHAEF.COM" <mschaef@eris.io.com> wrote in message

>>> Except that a full year warranty for the Dell Inspiron 1200 is only $19.
>>>

>> Tom,
>>
>> Yeah, but is that 1 year mail-in?
>>

>> Stew
>>

> Mail in. At home is $59.

Yep. That's why the Latitudes I chose had remaining gold/next day/complete
care coverage.

If not purchased in a promo, a decent warranty can represent a nice chuck of
cost.

Stew

<William P. N. Smith> wrote in message

>>Except that a full year warranty for the Dell Inspiron 1200 is only $19.
>
> How do you figure that? I'm seeing $39 plus the mail-in rebate you
> would have gotten...

I went to TV Advertised deal, then customize