Windows Backup Image Fails. Why?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Can anyone tell me why Win7 insists there's not enough room on a clean 116GB partition for a 45GB image? (That includes the small Win7 generated 44MB partition)

I am trying to make a disk image in Win7 to a partition on my USB HDD. The partition is a freshly formatted 116GB. Win7 says the backup image will require up to 45GB. Yet when the backup process begins, it returns an error message saying there isn't enough disk space for the image.

This is apparently a bogus message because I have saved other backup images of this PC to that partition in the past. In fact, I just re-formatted that partition to remove an older image of the same PC (same approx. size image) so I could save the fresh image to it. Can anyone tell me why Win7 insists there's not enough room on a clean 116GB partition for a 45GB image?

Error Message:
failfj.jpg
[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/img]

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
That doesn't appear to be my situation. However, I didn't try it because I just moments ago stumbled upon a 'fix' accidentally. Instead of quick formatting the partition, I did a full format of the partition. Windows didn't balk the next time I tried to do the backup image. It completed normally.

I have no idea why that should make any difference, but is seemed to. It's not like the partition was bad. It had a previous image on it just minutes before I did the quick format to make room.