Cabinet painting tape

alex

I want to mask off some of my cabinet before I paint it. What is the
best type of tape to use when doing this. I figure the blue painters
tape might not let me get around edges correctly without bunching up.
This would allow paint underneath when I paint. Any ideas?

Thanks

Alex

Two thoughts: First, you can cut the tape to match (or closely match) the
curve; you don't have to force it around curves. Also, as far as getting
underneath the mask, don't forget that the factory paint jobs were not
perfectly masked. You can often see an overspray "blur" between colors,
because of the hard templates they used.

I suggest more very light coats rather than fewer heavy coats, which should
also help.

I've never painted a cab, but I've done a lot of airbrushing and other
painting.

Randy

"Alex" <abarberis@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I want to mask off some of my cabinet before I paint it. What is the
> best type of tape to use when doing this. I figure the blue painters
> tape might not let me get around edges correctly without bunching up.
> This would allow paint underneath when I paint. Any ideas?
>
> Thanks
>
> Alex

Practice on scrap first and see what you like. Blue removes easily but may
not be a sharp edge, black electricians tape is easy to curve and remove but
hard for a straight line. LTG :)

"Alex" <abarberis@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I want to mask off some of my cabinet before I paint it. What is the
> best type of tape to use when doing this. I figure the blue painters
> tape might not let me get around edges correctly without bunching up.
> This would allow paint underneath when I paint. Any ideas?
>
> Thanks
>
> Alex

Airbrush frisket works really well. You can get 12 8x12 sheets at
Michaels for $13 or so. Cut it to the exact shape you want and it
peels off easily.

On 18 Jun 2005 14:29:19 -0700, "Alex" <abarberis@gmail.com> wrote:

>I want to mask off some of my cabinet before I paint it. What is the
>best type of tape to use when doing this. I figure the blue painters
>tape might not let me get around edges correctly without bunching up.
>This would allow paint underneath when I paint. Any ideas?
>
>Thanks
>
>Alex

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

When I did my E*BD and Black H*ole, I used an airbrush and a Japanese
modeling masking tape called "Tamiya". Check a better hobby outlet and ask
for it, it is made specifically for fine modeling and is the BEST tape you
can use for masking/airbrushing. Don't bother with the commercial "blue
tapes" that will tear up your work - this WON'T.

Chris

"Alex" <abarberis@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I want to mask off some of my cabinet before I paint it. What is the
> best type of tape to use when doing this. I figure the blue painters
> tape might not let me get around edges correctly without bunching up.
> This would allow paint underneath when I paint. Any ideas?
>
> Thanks
>
> Alex

I'll second the suggestion of using frisket film for use with airbrushes. I
repainted the faded orange lettering on the left side of a Bally Harley
Davidson. The best thing is that you can use a transparent frisket film which
makes it REALLY easy to trim to exact size and shape AFTER the film is
applied. You can also buy the film on longer rolls.

Joseph "Tony" Dziedzic