slot1 to 370 adaptor

manzulu

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2003
I have a system with an Abit VA6 mb and Celeron 466 CPU. The CPU sits on an ASUS socket 370 to slot 1 adapter board. I am wondering if this adapter board will take a PIII 1Ghz FP PGA processor. I tried a used CPU and it didn't work but have the chance to purchase a brand new boxed CPU. Need to know if they are compatible. I have upgraded the system bios to latest level which Abit says will support up to 1.1 Ghz PIII.

peter21

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
I don't know if you saw the article here a while back about Upgradeware, but if you wanted you good use upgradeware to put a Tualathon P3/Celeron in there up to 1.4 GHz.

Upgradewares site says your motherboard is compatible, heres the link to there page.

http://www.upgradeware.com/english/product/slot-t/compatibility.htm

Bytewize Computers sells them at a very good price and they ship to anywhere in US and Canada.

www.bytewizecomputers.com

--------
The only thing i know...

is that i know nothing at all.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Your compatability issue is probably due to the use of an early verions PPGA to slot 1 adapter that does NOT support Coppermine core CPU's. Tom wrote an article about 2 years ago telling people how they could modify those old adapters, but you can buy newer Coppermine compatable adapters on eBay for $4 (not much of a risk). Or you could get a Slot-T adapter from Upgradeware and run any PIII or similar Celeron you choose, they cost $20 but support both Coppermine and Tualatin cores.

<font color=blue>There are no stupid questions, only stupid people doling out faulty information based upon rumors, myths, and poor logic!</font color=blue>