Scan Disk Issues!

Before windows commences, scan disk shows a message 'Cannot open volume for
direct access'. Therefore, scan disk does not work on my computer. I'm using
a IBM Thinkpad T41. I have obviously tried to run scan disk from the my
computer-properties option.

Kindly advise a solution.
1 answer Last reply
More about scan disk issues

    Hi,

    Boot with the WinXP CD (if you have one) and load the Recovery Console, then
    run chkdsk from there. If prompted for autochk.exe, indicate
    C:\Windows\system32. If you don't have a WinXP CD, use the boot floppy set.

    Using the WinXP Boot floppy set:
    http://www.rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Boot%20floppy

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Sickoo" <Sickoo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Before windows commences, scan disk shows a message 'Cannot open volume
    > for
    > direct access'. Therefore, scan disk does not work on my computer. I'm
    > using
    > a IBM Thinkpad T41. I have obviously tried to run scan disk from the my
    > computer-properties option.
    >
    > Kindly advise a solution.

Computers Microsoft IBM ThinkPad Windows XP