Asus G51J 3D

Status
Not open for further replies.

slimkiller

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
Hey guys, does anyone know where this laptop could be bought? or if it's screen is any different than the Asus G51J-A1?

I want to know because I'm thinking of buying the Asus G51J-A1 and thought it would be nicer to have the 3D screen but I cant seem to find the 3D one available anywhere!

Basically, whats the hardware inside the Asus G51J 3D thats different from the Asus G51J-A1? and is it possible to modify a G51J-A1 to become 3D?

Darbonder

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2009
The 3D version isn't available in North America yet. I know it was released in Korea right after Thanksgiving, but that is where Asus is based so it makes sense. I had a guy at xoticpc.com check for what this laptop is waiting on and he said Asus informed him they were in the Q&A stage with it. I'm assuming they are doing this and not coming out with it already, since most reported a US release date of Early December, because of the little problems that has plagued the G51J-A1. So I'm hoping they are doing a positive upgrade on it and not just waiting till after Christmas, which wouldn't surprise me since releasing it now wouldn't result in any being bought as Xmas presents, but I'm gettin off point.

To answer the rest of your question, the only internal hardware difference is the display. It is possible they may have done a slight tweak with the video card, but I doubt it. The displays are different in two, and, as far as I can tell, only two ways.
The Upgrade: G51J-A1 has a 60Hz refresh rate, which is not sufficient for 3D Vision,
which caused the upgrade to a 120Hz display panel on the G51J-3D.
This is so it can deliver 60Hz to each eye.
The Downgrade: The G51J-A1 has a full HD panel at 1080p but the G51J-3D had to
downgrade to a 768p panel for 2 reasons, the 260M video card would
not be able to handle 120Hz FHD on some games to an acceptable
standard (This is something I've heard, and as it makes sense, it fails
to matter after the next reason). Next and really the only reason for
doing this is the fact that they don't make any 120Hz Full HD display
panels, at least not in the 15" range.

So to summarize.
1. Can't buy it anywhere unless you know how to order from Korean stores.
2. The only difference is the display panel, and the fact that the 3D version comes
bundled with the 3D Vision Kit, which accounts for the entire $200 markup.
3. Turning the A1 to a 3D would be theoretically possible, assuming the video card
hasn't be tweaked for the 3D, but it would not be too financially responsible since to
purchase a replacement screen for a laptop is a pretty hefty sum, I would assume a
120Hz replacement panel would kill your bank account.

Just woke up, so if it sounds like I was rambling, Its because I was.

Status
Not open for further replies.