Sign in with
Your question

Help! Can't install operating system

Last response: in Windows 7
October 15, 2012 5:28:21 PM

I'm in China and bought a new laptop, it's a Lenovo and it came with a Chinese operating system. To get an English operating system, I downloaded a copy of Windows 7 Professional. Once I installed Windows 7 Professional, I realized that the student key I got from my school was for Windows 7 Ultimate and wouldn't work with the Professional version.

Then I download a copy of Windows 7 Ultimate and burned it to a disk. When I went to install this, it wouldn't let me put it on any of my partitions (the laptop has 4) so I formatted the secondary one with like 860GB of space but then I thought that I would never need the Chinese operating system again so I formatted the Primary partition as well. However, after formatting them, it won't let me install my hard drive to any of the partitions and it tells me "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. One EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks".

Now I can't start my computer because the operating systems are gone and I can't install my operating system. I have no idea what to do. Please help!
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
October 15, 2012 6:17:40 PM

It sounds like you have both a GPT and MBR partition, and the error is basically telling you that if you have a GPT partition that is where Windows needs to be installed. So to put it into practical terms, try installing Windows to the partition that had the Chinese language Windows install.
m
l
!