Inspiron 5000 and wireless networking

Hello,

I am wondering in anyone out there has tried to put a
mini pci wireless network card and antennas into an
Inspiron 5000 laptop? I am thinking about removing the
modem I have in mine and putting one in and I just wanted to see if anyone
had been able to first.

Thanks

I've got the same computer...some time ago, I put a PCMCIA card in
(supplied by the ISP) and it worked OK. Be sure you have enough RAM or
else the system may very well bog down. Probably 512 meg will be good.

Tom S.
Houston, TX

David Mason wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am wondering in anyone out there has tried to put a
> mini pci wireless network card and antennas into an
> Inspiron 5000 laptop? I am thinking about removing the
> modem I have in mine and putting one in and I just wanted to see if anyone
> had been able to first.
>
> Thanks

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Fri, 1 Jul 2005 07:09:11 -0500, "David Mason"
<davidm001@centurytel.net> wrote:

>Hello,
>
> I am wondering in anyone out there has tried to put a
>mini pci wireless network card and antennas into an
>Inspiron 5000 laptop? I am thinking about removing the
>modem I have in mine and putting one in and I just wanted to see if anyone
>had been able to first.

The modem and wireless go in different plugs, so there's no reason to
"remove" the modem.

I believe the antennas are built into all inspirons, but certain
models also have an auxiliary antenna. I believe the 5xxx series is
one of them. As far as Dell-OEM mini-pci versus a PCMCIA wireless,
it's tough to say which is better. Your Dell Resource CD will
probably be helpful in case a driver issue arises.

Installing the mini-pci Dell wireless card is almost as easy as
inserting a DIMM. The hatch is underneath the computer, next to the
"M" (memory) hatch. Push the card firmly into the slot, push the card
downward until it snaps into place, then put the tiny antennas on
(MAIN wire is white; AUX wire is black). They'll probably be held
down by masking tape, which can be removed.

Dan

You'll need a PCMCIA card, not a mini PCI card. There is no antenna
inside the 5000. The system predates the coming of common wireless by a
few years.

David Mason wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am wondering in anyone out there has tried to put a
> mini pci wireless network card and antennas into an
> Inspiron 5000 laptop? I am thinking about removing the
> modem I have in mine and putting one in and I just wanted to see if anyone
> had been able to first.
>
> Thanks

Is there one inside the 5150?
--
Cyndi
"Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.net> wrote in message news:CQjxe.19778$GH6.5281@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com...
> You'll need a PCMCIA card, not a mini PCI card. There is no antenna
> inside the 5000. The system predates the coming of common wireless by a
> few years.
>
> David Mason wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am wondering in anyone out there has tried to put a
> > mini pci wireless network card and antennas into an
> > Inspiron 5000 laptop? I am thinking about removing the
> > modem I have in mine and putting one in and I just wanted to see if anyone
> > had been able to first.
> >
> > Thanks

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 13:35:54 GMT, "Cyndi" <noonehome@nowhere.com>
wrote:

>Is there one inside the 5150?

I didn't know much about the 5000 but I've worked on about two dozen
5150's in the past two months. They definetly have a mini-PCI port
for the wireless available under the hatch beneath the laptop just
above the tiny modem card. Both aux and main antenna wires.

Dan

so if I just get a mini pci card for it, the antennae's are already in there?.......should I get it thru Dell or just anywhere else?
--
Cyndi
"Dan" <jasdfosd@asjedfoi.com> wrote in message news:1nahc1tsgegnpj5qo424up4p9ohg20o2fk@4ax.com...
> On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 13:35:54 GMT, "Cyndi" <noonehome@nowhere.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Is there one inside the 5150?
>
> I didn't know much about the 5000 but I've worked on about two dozen
> 5150's in the past two months. They definetly have a mini-PCI port
> for the wireless available under the hatch beneath the laptop just
> above the tiny modem card. Both aux and main antenna wires.
>
> Dan

Cyndi--

As was mentioned earlier in this thread...the 5000 does NOT have a
built-in wireless antenna. It preceded the wireless explosion by
several years. I got mine in 1999,and I have to use a PCMCIA card with
an antenna in the card. It sticks out about an inch or so from the chassis.

HTH

Tom S.
Houston, TX

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 13:28:15 GMT, "Cyndi" <noonehome@nowhere.com>
wrote:

>so if I just get a mini pci card for it, the antennae's are already in there?

The mini-pci wireless in a 5150 should already have the antennae wires
waiting to be installed. They might be held down by some masking
tape.

I personally think a third party PCMCIA wireless card (linksys,
netgear, etc.) is less trouble, but you'll get better hardware and
software support through dell with a mini-PCI wireless card.

Dan

I Understand, but the post from Dan said the 5150's do have the antenna, and the 5150 is the one I have, not the 5000
--
Cyndi
"Tom Simchak" <tgsimchak@gmail.com> wrote in message news:kXbye.792$Ae.478@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com...
> Cyndi--
>
> As was mentioned earlier in this thread...the 5000 does NOT have a
> built-in wireless antenna. It preceded the wireless explosion by
> several years. I got mine in 1999,and I have to use a PCMCIA card with
> an antenna in the card. It sticks out about an inch or so from the chassis.
>
> HTH
>
> Tom S.
> Houston, TX
>

> Cyndi wrote:
> > so if I just get a mini pci card for it, the antennae's are already in there?.......should I get it thru Dell or just anywhere else?

Thanks, Dan. I appreciate the information

--
Cyndi
"Dan" <jasdfosd@asjedfoi.com> wrote in message news:egljc19qkhfpj9epdjb7gs26elac9nv7vc@4ax.com...
> On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 13:28:15 GMT, "Cyndi" <noonehome@nowhere.com>
> wrote:
>
> >so if I just get a mini pci card for it, the antennae's are already in there?
>
> The mini-pci wireless in a 5150 should already have the antennae wires
> waiting to be installed. They might be held down by some masking
> tape.
>
> I personally think a third party PCMCIA wireless card (linksys,
> netgear, etc.) is less trouble, but you'll get better hardware and
> software support through dell with a mini-PCI wireless card.
>
> Dan

Other than by removing the mini PCI wireless WLAN card and replacing it with
a wirelass WLAN card in the side slot, is there any way to add a external
antenna on this system? There appear to be two antenna cables connected to
the internal card ( one gray and one black). Is one of these capable of
being connected to an external jack (or antenna)?