Want to delete C: pagefile.sys How? Why is there since

August 7, 2005 11:14:27 PM

On an XPPro SP2 box. I have tweaked paging file from time to time and it
hasn't made that much difference with 1GB Ram. I noticed that I have a
"gigantic" (Windows' term by size) 1.5MB pagefile.sys. I opened it with
wordpad and there is nothing in it. When I tried to delete it, I get the
message it is in use.

I tried to use a DEL C: \pagefile.sys and got confirmation of yes but the
notepad file won't move. I tried to look for it using Delinvfile 1.04 but
it won't show under C:\ and nothing I put in the filter changes this.

I looked at Doug Knox's but it does not seem to be aimed at this situation
(using Taskman.)

Any help would be appreciated. Since the file was created 6/30/05 I don't
see any big consequences to doing this, since I ran so long without having
it there.

Best,

Chad Harris

More about : delete pagefile sys

Anonymous
August 7, 2005 11:14:28 PM

Chad,

Your XP system has to have a Pagefile. That's a must. Although, you can tweak its size. The pagefile is Windows XP's swapfile or virtual memory file.
This file is a Hidden file.

The absolute best article on this area is Virtual Memory in Windows XP by Alex Nichol.
http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.htm

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

Chad Harris wrote:
> On an XPPro SP2 box. I have tweaked paging file from time to time
> and it hasn't made that much difference with 1GB Ram. I noticed that
> I have a "gigantic" (Windows' term by size) 1.5MB pagefile.sys. I
> opened it with wordpad and there is nothing in it. When I tried to
> delete it, I get the message it is in use.
>
> I tried to use a DEL C: \pagefile.sys and got confirmation of yes but
> the notepad file won't move. I tried to look for it using Delinvfile
> 1.04 but it won't show under C:\ and nothing I put in the filter
> changes this.
>
> I looked at Doug Knox's but it does not seem to be aimed at this
> situation (using Taskman.)
>
> Any help would be appreciated. Since the file was created 6/30/05 I
> don't see any big consequences to doing this, since I ran so long
> without having it there.
>
> Best,
>
> Chad Harris
Anonymous
August 7, 2005 11:14:28 PM

"Chad Harris" <ddram32_nospam@yahoo.com> wrote:

|>On an XPPro SP2 box. I have tweaked paging file from time to time and it
|>hasn't made that much difference with 1GB Ram. I noticed that I have a
|>"gigantic" (Windows' term by size) 1.5MB pagefile.sys. I opened it with
|>wordpad and there is nothing in it. When I tried to delete it, I get the
|>message it is in use.

You can delete it on shutdown, it will be recreated on startup.
Start/run gpedit.msc <enter>
It's located in "computer config" snoop around

--
http://www.planettribes.com/allyourbase/AYB2.swf
Anonymous

Thanks for your replies Jim and Maurice. I understand what Page File does,
and Alex has a good article as does MSFT one that has "all that stuff" in
the title--(lol):

I have moved the paging file before in other installations and thought I did
in this one-- according to this, and maybe that's the answer as to size.
Theoretically it helps slow/prevent fragmentation of the paging file but Ed
Bott says that it rarely defrags in his book.

*MSKBs on Page File Size*

RAM, Virtual Memory, Pagefile and all that stuff
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;555223

Optimizing Your Paging File (PAGEFILE.SYS
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;99768

"The paging file is not necessarily a single file; it can be a group of
files stored in various locations accross the hard disks and partitions."

How to determine the appropriate page file size for 64-bit versions of
Windows Server 2003 or Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/889654

Minimum Paging File Size (applies to NT workstations/servers so I figured
there has to be some extrapolation)
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;101220

I wanted to delete it like I said for the reason it takes up 1.5MB when I
had it set there. I have since lowered it to next to nothing. I won't know
the performance consequences until I restart.

1) While I appreciate what Maurice says in theory and have long read most of
Alex's great articles and posts, and appreciated his generous help as we all
did, and others on Jim Eschelman's site as of June 2005 it began showing
up as a Gigantic File and I often unhide protected OS files when I'm
searching for something which I usually do manually because XP search is
slow and erratic.

2) I noticed no matter what size I set it to, *performance doesn't change*
and performance is always good because I do about 12 specific things to
minimize CPU including defrag, spy scans. I don't doubt what Maurice says
in theory yet you have to raise the question if you set the Page file to 3
how it could matter if you eliminate it. What I'm trying to figure out is
why you have to have one since you could theoretically set it to 1/10000 of
your RAM instead of one of the age old forumlas of 1.5X RAM that most of us
grew up with.

I know that Process Explorer from Sysinternals can monitor it, and that Doug
Knox has made a VB Script to monitor the page file in a log:

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/PageFile_Mon...

I would appreciate your response. I am puzzled how it could matter if you
can shrink it theoretically to 1MB. Also if you *have to have it* why does
MSFT have a "No Page File" setting on that dialouge box at System Properties
Advanced tabSettings>Advanced Button>Change (paging file)?

Best,

Chad Harris

Chad Harris wrote:
> On an XPPro SP2 box. I have tweaked paging file from time to time
> and it hasn't made that much difference with 1GB Ram. I noticed that
> I have a "gigantic" (Windows' term by size) 1.5MB pagefile.sys. I
> opened it with wordpad and there is nothing in it. When I tried to
> delete it, I get the message it is in use.
>
> I tried to use a DEL C: \pagefile.sys and got confirmation of yes but
> the notepad file won't move. I tried to look for it using Delinvfile
> 1.04 but it won't show under C:\ and nothing I put in the filter
> changes this.
>
> I looked at Doug Knox's but it does not seem to be aimed at this
> situation (using Taskman.)
>
> Any help would be appreciated. Since the file was created 6/30/05 I
> don't see any big consequences to doing this, since I ran so long
> without having it there.
>
> Best,
>
> Chad Harris
August 8, 2005 3:36:39 AM

"Chad Harris" <ddram32_nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On an XPPro SP2 box. I have tweaked paging file from time to time and it
> hasn't made that much difference with 1GB Ram. I noticed that I have a
> "gigantic" (Windows' term by size) 1.5MB pagefile.sys. I opened it with
> wordpad and there is nothing in it. When I tried to delete it, I get the
> message it is in use.
In these days of multi gigabyte disks, 1.5 MB is by no means gigantic?

> I tried to use a DEL C: \pagefile.sys and got confirmation of yes but the
> notepad file won't move. I tried to look for it using Delinvfile 1.04 but
> it won't show under C:\ and nothing I put in the filter changes this.
>
> I looked at Doug Knox's but it does not seem to be aimed at this situation
> (using Taskman.)
>
> Any help would be appreciated. Since the file was created 6/30/05 I
don't
> see any big consequences to doing this, since I ran so long without having
> it there.
>
> Best,
>
> Chad Harris

What problem are you having? If none, why are you concerned?
Instead, set the pagefile size to system managed. That allows Windows to
create one if, and only if, it is needed. If it is needed but does not
exist or is too small, you will notice a very significant performance hit
(possibly including a hang).
Jim
!