AMD's XP3000 pricing, in stores

eden

Champion
Just as I expected, they are much lower than Intel's, compared to what some had thought.
Here in Canada, when you say hello to canadian conversion, you say goodbye to your extra money.

The 3.06GHZ P4 costs 1125$ CDN which is ~715$ US with ~0.63 US$.
The XP3000, in contrast, is retailing for 949$ CDN, which is ~607$ US!
A much lower price in stores, and in canadian proves that AMD still has an upper hand.
Now there is no question that it is not worth its price, though, this shows that the local prices for AMDs are simply not the same as the disappointing ones we hear.

Here's the local shop with these prices:
AthlonXP
<A HREF="http://www.shoprbc.com/ca/shop/?cid=265" target="_new">http://www.shoprbc.com/ca/shop/?cid=265</A>
Pentium 4
<A HREF="http://www.shoprbc.com/ca/shop/?cid=268" target="_new">http://www.shoprbc.com/ca/shop/?cid=268</A>

--
This post is brought to you by Eden, on a Via Eden, in the garden of Eden. :smile:

songoku

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2003
What do you mean Much slower. All of the Benchmarks that i have seen make them about the same. The p4 is faster here but the 3000+ is faster there. True both are neck'n neck but the 3000+ is worth it. I wouldn't buy it though amd is going to release there version of "hyper threading".

For prices try pricewatch. Most places do ship to cannada just not over seas.

Man's greatest Mistery is Himself.

CrowScape

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2003
Alright, so maybe the 3000+ can do a couple more ligands in Folding@Home a week and maybe it can lauch that 2000 version of Word faster, but for everything else... why???? It's not just that the Barton beats the P4 in some areas, it's where it beats the P4, which, as you can see, no speed increase, no matter how great, is going to be of significant benifit to the user. Now, in UT 2K3, yes, they're neck and neck, with the Barton beating the P4 and the P4 beating the Barton depending on which benchmarks you go by. But in nearly everything related to multimedia development the P4 cleans the Barton's clock and the P4 has a strong edge in games, and these are the only segments where the general population will benifit from the added power. And this isn't even factoring the 2800+ Tbred into the equation, which performs JUST AS WELL AS THE 3000+! That's the nail in the coffin that makes the Barton just not worth it.

But anyway, Pricewatch can get you a P4 3.06Ghz for as low as $609 US, with someone such as GoogleGear.com selling it for around $636.5 US (retail box, S&H included) to the US AND Canada. Meanwhile the Barton sells for as low as $597.94 US on Pricewatch, assuming you go rock bottom basement. So, no, the Barton isn't priced competitively.

letdown

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2002
As of 2-15-03, I have the following US prices at Newegg:

P4 3.06 HT retail - $638.00
Barton 3000+ OEM - $598.00

Factor in that you're not getting a fan with the Barton, and they're almost identical. Unless you're really looking to smoke the guy in the cubicle next to you in Office XP, I think the P4 remains the better buy. Not trying to start a fight here... I'm disappointed in the Barton myself and really wanted one to hold me over until mature Hammers or Prescotts appear.

I'd expect prices to drop a bit more quickly than the 3.06, which would make it more reasonable. Not exactly what AMD wanted though.

eden

Champion
The 607$ US converted price of the XP3000+ selling locally, is retail, just so you know!

--
This post is brought to you by Eden, on a Via Eden, in the garden of Eden. :smile:

castle

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2002
You would never quit arguing AXP is better than P4, right?
Did you notice all Barton parts are "pre-order" in your link?

eden

Champion
You would never quit arguing AXP is better than P4, right?
Run along little troll...Matisaro's right around the corner, maybe I should fetch him to say that.

--

eden

Champion
I just re-read my main post, where the heck do you read me talking about performance?

--

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
What do you mean Much slower. All of the Benchmarks that i have seen make them about the same. The p4 is faster here but the 3000+ is faster there. True both are neck'n neck but the 3000+ is worth it...
Eden said, "much lower" not "much slower". LOL!

<b>99% is great, unless you are talking about system stability</b>

LumberJack

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2003
Woah!!.. man somone is ripping you off... As far as Canada goes... www.ncix.com rocks ... well most of the time... unless you live in TO... then you have thousands of other options... but your right.. AMD has lost its price edge...

To err is human... to really screw things up you need a computer!

eden

Champion
Err, that website I linked you to, is one of the best and most user-friendly one you could have man. You ask, they deliver. They got tons of services to offer, and IMO it's simply the best place to shop from in my town.

--

LumberJack

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2003
Perhaps... but I don't know where you live.. Either way the prices you wuoted are high as per the link I sent you .. approx 200$ more expensive.

To err is human... to really screw things up you need a computer!