Sign in with
Your question

How install Router/Switch and server?

Last response: in Networking
November 19, 2001 6:59:13 PM

Hi,
I want to install a network. Where can I find information for installing networks. How do I install a router and a swicthbox and a patchpanel. I don´t any idea of it and would like to have some advice to it. Where can I find the information on how to install it and how to manage it.
Any idea is welcome!

THX

David
November 19, 2001 8:13:11 PM

What do you currently have? And what are you trying to accomplish?

e.g. Are you going to buy broadband (Cable/DSL)?
How many PC's do you have?
Are they located on different floors?

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>
November 19, 2001 8:26:41 PM

Hi,

It is a futrue project. So there would be around 20 - 30 Pc´s connected to the server.
It will have a big bandwith (min 2MB) as it will be used for public use.
Yes, the Pc´s will be located on different floors. The server will be used to give the public advice and information.
What I am very interested in is how to construct a rack with the switch panels, patch panels and router. Then how to put the cable. Which software to run on the server (pref. Windows and Access2000 for ASP website).

Thx already
Related resources
November 21, 2001 11:17:31 AM

this might help:

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/

<b><font color=blue>I'm a NASTY Intel\AMD\Nvidia\ATI user and I'm just gonna TAKE that d@mn cookie</b> </font color=blue>
November 21, 2001 7:06:03 PM

Thx lagger,

that website just looks GREAT! I have found already some habdy tips about setting up a server. Now if only I could find how to set up a router ;-)
I will take a look around some more there. A very good tip you gave me!
Many thanks already!
December 4, 2001 4:14:04 PM

The Routers will differ between the brands as far as how they are set up. All you can do is look at reviews or ask friends who have one which they prefer, and then get the settings done according to that manufacturers specs..

To Be or Not to be... DAMN but that is confusing!
!