A few questions regarding upgrades/prices

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
there are a few versions of win 7 being released, and i'm thinking home premium is for me. now newegg says if i buy vista right now, i'll get the upgrade to win 7 for FREE. now will this 'upgrade' reflect the version of vista i buy? so if i buy the 64-bit vista home premium will it upgrade to win 7 home premium 7??? this will require me only to spend $109 which is quite a bargain considering win 7 prices...

if not, you think microsoft will be generous enough to have that 50% off upgrades? =D?

oh, and one more thing... what's the benefit of retail over OEM?

Solution
Microsoft already did the $49(Home Prem)/$99(Pro) upgrade offer - It expired the 11th.

Yes, you can take advantage of the Vista promotion to get the upgrade to 7.

Retail allows you to move the OS from computer to computer. OEM is supposed to be bound to the PC it's originally installed on - Though you are allowed to repair and upgrade that PC as you see fit.
Microsoft already did the $49(Home Prem)/$99(Pro) upgrade offer - It expired the 11th.

Yes, you can take advantage of the Vista promotion to get the upgrade to 7.

Retail allows you to move the OS from computer to computer. OEM is supposed to be bound to the PC it's originally installed on - Though you are allowed to repair and upgrade that PC as you see fit.

Solution