firmware for dell CD/DVD Writer (NEC 1100a) - still cannot..

jp

I've got a Dell 4600 that came with a NEC ND-1100a DVD Writer. I
upgraded the firmare from 10F to 10GE, but still cannot burn memorex
media at 4x. I can burn sony at 4x.

I found this at memorex's website:
I have an NEC or LG Drive and it will only record at 2X with the DVD
4X media. Why is that?

NEC is aware of the problem, and they are working on a fix. If LG
Electronics does not find a fix quickly, they may decide to put the
old firmware on their website so that faithful Memorex customers can
get back their 4X recording. There is nothing wrong with the
media--it's just a firmware bug. The suspect firmware version is 300A.

Is anyone else having these problems?

jp

This is not the answer you're looking for, but I gave up on Memorex media a
long, long time ago It has always been flaky for me, even more so than
no-name generics. If they're making it in such a way that it requires
firmware upgrades from TWO manufacturers, then I'd start to suspect the
blank media as the problem

Tom